Something that's bothering me about making a new purchase

DonDieago

Im about to get me a new detector in the next day or two after I do a little research! I had a whites xlt spectrum and stuck with it til I learned how to use it. well a friend dug his old old old whites out of the barn cleaned and fired it up and away we went. after a few hours we buried a old dime we found and took turns going at it with our detectors and I could only get abut a half inch more depth?????? whats up with this? well shortly after my purchase I found most seemed to prefer the MXT.
I dont know why but I just have a gut feeling there has to be something out there a little better than a whites.
is there?? or just another model of whites? Is 90% of depth in the coil you use? is led displays only eye candy?
My main interest is coin hunting. (want to continue chasing that elusive gold coin) What do you think is the top 3 performers for coins and such? I dont want to mortgage my home but price is not really a determining factor!

Don

I use the DFX mostly for coins.... do you use headphones? I like the tones for searching more than the LED displays. I would caution you against abruptly leaving your present detector.. I have heard good things about them..and it does take time to learn the nuances of a machine. Many expert detectors have said, give them some time with any machine, and they will beat a newbie with a top of the line machine. I am not that good... but the people I have heard say that have my respect for their knowledge and experience. RickO

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a cool site full of detector reviews written by people who bought and used them: http://metaldetectorreviews.net/ Take your time.

Visual displays are an aid - you can't always trust what they tell you. On the other hand, if you're used to a machine with a display, then you'll probably be happier with a similar machine.

Good Luck.

The xlt is a great detector. On a freshly buried target you might have only been able 1/2" deeper than any detector on the market.

The technology in how detectors work has not changed all that much over the years so your friend being able to use an old detector and find a freshly buried coin at almost the same depth as you sounds reasonable to me. By "getting to know how to use it" im going to guess you turned up your sensitivities and such and tweaked the XLT for better performance?

The MXT and M6 are great detectors, but the XLT is more adjustable.

Explorer se, Whites DFX / XLT, MXT, M6, Fisher F75, F70, F5, xterra 70/50, would be my short list, although its not to short.

Good luck with your decision.

First off, welcome to the forum. You didn't say what the total depth that you were able to detect the dime was. Most detectors should have detected it at 6 or 8 inches deep (depending on soil conditions). Don't get too hung up on detector depth. Ease of use and reliability are just as important. Having the right mental attitude is very important. You have to believe you will find the coins with whatever detector you use. You had a great detector, but if you had no confidence in it, you are doing the right thing getting something else. Good luck with your choice and get out there and enjoy the hobby with whatever detector you decide to use.:yes:

I'm with foreverRich on this one. The XLT is a fine detector and it should give you great performance in most types of hunting. Also I agree with the freshly buried coin. Most detectors will give you about 5-6" on a newly buried coin. Once you get deeper you separate quality in detectors, but on a newly buried coin they are all going to get about the same depth.

Is there something better out there than Whites? It really depends on what and where you're hunting. Whites makes models for just about every type of hunting, but I think their strongest line is coin detectors.

It's hard to pin down the "top 3" detectors, because it really depends on again what and where. Based on popularity, which often tends to reflect a majority of satisfied users, the top 3 would be the Whites DFX, Minelab SE and the Fisher F75. All have strong points and weaknesses.

......>>
I dont know why but I just have a gut feeling there has to be something out there a little better than a whites.
is there?......<<<
Don

I think most of us say that about our machines. Metal detecting is like any other hobby, there's always something better out there, or so we think. I'm just as bad, I've recently spent a lot of money on a new detector that I didn't really need. You only have to read articles in the magazines, and you'll find stories of people making amazing finds with old unfashionable machines.

We have to keep the detector retailers and manufacturers in business though. :yes:

The term "Chasing Rainbows" comes to mind

In the photography business they say, It's not the camera... it's the photographer.

Vlad often says, It's not the detector... it's the detectorist.

We sold our XLT too, but replaced it with another Whites, the ProXL6000 which works great, without all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for all the replies and some very good points to consider! I do understand that for lack of a better term a long time buried coin will have a hallo to pick up on.
Alan to sum up myself I am the type of person that dives into a hobby head first and always thinks that I need the best equipment that I can acquire thinking that will remove 1 variable from the road to being the best I can be at the hobby I'm in!

Billiard thanks for the very cool link I will put it to good use.
By the way Carol I did some reading before joining and must say I really enjoyed the article on how coins get to be as deep as the are! Kudos to u and well done.

ps What I want is a detector thats will go off on a quarter 22 inches deep like a mad dog chasing after a cat! LOL

Don

There is a lot of splendid advice here and you won't go wrong listening to any of
it. Many times I've gotten caught up in all the hype of many different detectors and I always come back to one thing. "Self, keep it simple, you'll be much happier" but of course I don't listen to my own logic and go out and but a top of the line machine and use it and enjoy it, but for some reason I always come back to simple, simple is fun, no thought involved and for me, that's a big plus and in many cases there almost as deep all depending on the soil in your area. The old saying holds true many times for me "simpler is better."
Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom