• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why is it I used to find bottle dumps when I wasn't interested in them?

hillbillydigger

Elite Member
I've lived in rural areas most of my life and regularly used to find old bottles out in the woods & even in the desert when I would hike. Sometimes found a bunch dumped along creeks or rivers. Now that I got into metal detecting and then heard from other MD'ers about bottle collecting and how valuable some can be I haven't come across any more dumps...aside from new liquor and beer bottles. Why is that? :?: I went all last winter during & after the storms looking for the current to push in bottles and also during drought when some of the lakes were low and nope haven't found any bottles. (However maybe I shouldn't complain because I did find $10 bill laying by the river a couple weeks ago!)

i noticed theres alottt of people interested in old bottles, when i was a kid i just thought they were junkk, theres an old bottle stash i know of, a tonnn, but the area is a little ways from where i am now, i should make a trip and see whats there.

I cringe when I remember my friends and I finding an old bottle dump from the late 1800s early 1900s when we were kids .... our pellet guns lost us a fortune that week =/

I know exactly what you mean. I collected a bottles few years ago from a spot near where I was living at the time, just thinking they were cool looking. After recently getting into MDing I dated the bottles to the late 1800's to early 1900's. Went back only to find out they developed right over half of it. I did get back into what's left but it's so overgrown right now it's impossible. Going to check it out after summer when all the vines & weeds are dead.

I did get back into what's left but it's so overgrown right now it's impossible. Going to check it out after summer when all the vines & weeds are dead.

That's what we're going to do too. We found a place to detect out in woods and there is all kinds of stuff there including cellar holes and we see the weirdest relics along the trails. We found CW bullets & a minnie ball last week. But between the weeds, ticks, copperheads, rattlesnakes and poison ivy we are going to have to wait till winter to hunt for much. I've gotten ticks on me in those woods before and had a baby rattler strike my pants leg years ago so we aren't taking chances even though we figure there are bottles out there. There's also an old Studebacker that used to be parked out in the weeds I want to check out and see if there are coins under the seats. We just have to find it again. Its first time I have been out there in almost 15 years.

I cringe when I remember my friends and I finding an old bottle dump from the late 1800s early 1900s when we were kids .... our pellet guns lost us a fortune that week =/

:no: I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I did the SAME thing....UGH! Makes me sick thinking about it now....now I can't even find old bottles for the life of me.

i cant find a bottle dump to save my life. except the 20million dumps on the family farm. most of those bottles are commons or you have to wade through 4' deep of beer bottles that inlaws' father and his buddies consumed over the years.

I'm now to the point where I'm just not looking. Maybe that way I['ll stumble across one. Granted I have hundreds of hours left to wade through this stuff, but it's 2hrs from home so only get up here once a month or so.

On the bright side, I did find the 2nd oldest privy on the property. Dates back to turn of the century. So far only 4' down but it's all cedar 1/2 log lined on all 4 sides...

Im thinking it's better to just MD and hopefully bump into a dump....

the placee i know about, there was an old house there, check where old houses were maybe

The hard thing for me is finding some place to hunt. I mean there just isn't much public woods left in these parts anymore. Everything is private property. Heck I can't even find a place to pick blackberries anymore either! So the local lakes are about only public place left. I see old abandoned businesses everywhere along the road but somebody owns them and the abandoned school is locked up. I'm sure a bunch of these farms have bottle dumps, but trespassing is a good way to get a rear end of buckshot in these parts!

thats true, dont want to be picking bullets out your arse lol, i thought there would be alot of places to hunt over that, that stinks
maybe you should just start asking people if you can detect their land

Back
Top Bottom