1860's wedding ring...

Krom

Elite Member
I found a few rings, 4 spanish reales, many musket balls, etc., in the field I've been hitting for at least 4 consecutive years, but this dig has me pullin' my hair out (only 'cause I want to return it to the rightful owners).
This guy (whose name is etched on the OUTSIDE of this gold wedding ring), was born in 1848. So far, this is just about all I know what to go by.
I, and my wife Snowy, have done extensive research on this and have found a lot of distant relatives connected to this ring that I found last summer (Vlad... you know the field I'm talkin' about ;)), but so far, we haven't been able to find a direct, living decendant (BUT... I will not give up).
Some people might stick it in their shoe while they're squatting down near their dug plug, and get shifty-eyed, while whispering to themselves: "Finder's keepers", but not me. I would much rather hack my brain (and th' planet) and keep tryin' to find someone's hand worthy of plopping it in to.
I WILL not give up on this search. I jus' keep thinkin' of how it would be if it were me that was on the recieving end of this.
What th' heck... it's only a gold ring. How much could it be worth at a hock shop or a jewelry store... maybe $50? Big deal!
Nope... this is going in someone's hand someday. It's obviously not a cheap-o, gold-coated, piece of junk, ring. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's solid.
I hope to, some day, have a follow-up on this "get-it-back-to-the-proper-person, story.
Check it out:

Attachments

• Elgins Ring.jpg
    Elgins Ring.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 7,376
Well, I can't believe I'm actually seeing this post, but so be it... it's your find....
So, I'll add to the info.

I believe the ring was 8 to 9 inches down...?

I've done some extensive geneology research on the person's name etched on the ring.
I contacted the local historical society and went through a few channels....
I finally found someone who had this name in some research.
The person named on the ring was married and had moved to Florida (imagine moving to Florida from Maine in the late 1800s).
From what we can tell, the couple had no children (very strange for that era).
The person's name disappears from the census reports at 1900...

Such a pretty, sentimental piece to be sitting in our vault.

Last edited:
Great story and find, Love that your trying to find the story of the owner. Amazing how far you can go in research these days :D

Great find!

Congrad on your finds.
Snowy, good job on researching the rind.
It appears that the ring may begin a new chapter with Krom.

Facinating find, Krom and great team research, Snowy! ;)

I love stories like this. Items with names of long gone people that can be traced to the land or living descendants. Hope you get to find those living descendants and pass the ring on to them. Did you happen find it on property that once belonged to Mr. Elgin, or that he lived on, or just a random site in town?

I'll be checking back to see if you find out anything new!

nyjrbethelct,

The ring was found on land where the person worked.
I know the person's trade but won't devulge it in case we find a living relative.
Such details can be used to verify ownership.

PS: Great photo. Pretty mind blowing and eye popping. That gold looks so yummy and buttery it makes my mouth water. I can just imagine the dance you might have been doing when it gleamed in the hole. :lol:

Whoa:wow: If i found that I would be trying to see how much the Gold ring cost. I would Imagine somewhere from a couple thousand.:yes::?:

Long lost great great grandson

It's me, It's me, He was my favorite great great grandfather, just send it to me ....:lol: Just kidding... Thats very commendable what you are doing and I'd have done the same thing...Good job. Tom

Whoa:wow: If i found that I would be trying to see how much the Gold ring cost. I would Imagine somewhere from a couple thousand.:yes::?:

Not a clue what it's worth, Austin.
But I can guarantee it's that old. And it was found 8 inches or more in the ground.

It's only gold, and it can't hold THAT much value, can it?
Besides... it'd mean more than any amount of money to a descendant......

PM me you addy, Tom... oh... you're jus' kidding. HA! Never mind! :D

Austin... I don't think it's that much (but back in them days, this wasn't a cheap-o... that's for sure)... but I really don't care what it's worth (like Snowy insinuated: it's only worth it's weight in gold, right?). I'd much rather give it to the person that "it belongs to".
I have dozens of rings... some are junk, some are silver, some are gold... but this particular one has a home, because it has a name!
I'm far from rich (actually, I've been out of work for 4 months, and everything's backing up), but (you can label me a lame-o Maine-o) I see this as the right thing to do. ;)

Thats an amazing find! I hope somehow it finds its way to a descendant or distant relative of that person. :yes:

:cool:thats a great ring seen a show called the history detectives they might help you locate n. o. k. based on where he worked way back then sorry not shure how to reach them try history detectives good luck great story

Back
Top Bottom