Any tip on river hunting..

Armistead

I live near 3 rivers, one within walking distant. This morning I hunted in about 2 ft deep for about an hour until my feet froze in my rubber waders. There is some usual trash. I've never hunted rivers before and this one does have some strong current in places, 1ft to 6ft deep. I'm trying to stay out of strong current as it will knock you down.

What's the best way to dig your finds. I took a shovel, but seems often the current took most the dirt before I got it up. Thought about taking a burlap sack or something to put the dirt in, but will drain water, but I've got to figure the best way to get the dirt up before current takes it.

I hunt in the Tippecanoe river in shallow waters and some deeper eddies. The currents are to strong in main current deeper waters. I try to stay facing upstream, this allows the current to take away the debris and clear the area quickly so I can see what Im doing a little better. Also I use a scoop to get to the goodies. You will see a lot of variations on scoops on this site, most common with beach and water hunting. There are all different kinds from homemade to higher dollar stainless scoops. Hope this helps a little, HH

maybe try an innertube with a screened in bottom to allow you to screen the dirt

Back
Top Bottom