Coins coming OUT of dunes?

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Last time I hit a certain beach I noticed that when high tide was hitting the large cut (more like eroding the spot) coins were definitely coming from the land, and not being washed in from further out. I figured this out by hitting the area right under the cut and finding quite a few coins. At the next high tide i could see the cut basically collapsing a little more earth with each wave hit. After the waves receded again i hit the same area and found fresh coins! All of the coins this area is spitting out are older, nothing modern at all...
I'm going back out there on Friday and plan on hitting the dunes HARD and scanning the face of the cut as well as just below it.
My question is how did all this end up in what appears to be original beach? The people there swear that the area has never been filled....

Well if the dunes are sand then probably over time people walking or playing on them have dropped coins which sink pretty good in sand. Just a guess.

I've seen coins get washed out of the sand too but that doesn't mean that they have been there in the same spot since they were lost. I have found coins up in the dry sand that were well worn from being tossed around in the surf. They had to have been "pushed" up there when the surf was powerful as it is during a storm. HH!

That's the thing with sand, it tends to move around a lot. :)

Over here sand dunes tend to be no-go zones for detecting, especially where
they have grass growing.

There washed up for sure, I found a line tight to a sea wall 5 ft wide, coin every foot or so and they were all greenies. I also found shell encrusted items in cuts just like ya were explaining...

Coins move certainly.
I have been at the beach at sunrise after high tide had made it`s cut into the sand .
Walking on top of the cut, on the beach proper I found coins green and some corroded laying on top of the sand fresh from the depths.
I knew they were underground for a very long time but here they were ready to be recycled right on top.
It was the right tide, and force of the water at the right time that put them there and if no one came by they would have just started their sinking once again and no one would know.
Thats what you are see`ing I suspect.
Good Luck.

I've seen coins get washed out of the sand too but that doesn't mean that they have been there in the same spot since they were lost. I have found coins up in the dry sand that were well worn from being tossed around in the surf. They had to have been "pushed" up there when the surf was powerful as it is during a storm. HH!
DITTO That is what happens to coins and rings as well they get pushed on the beach and sink deep to be washed out again when the cut is created. Good luck and HH

Over in Monterey, around the bay from me, that is where the old silver usually comes from, when the swell/tide hit the dunes just right and eat away a bit until the old silver coins pop out!:yes: I think they got there either by original drop and from wave action depositing them there over time until the wave action reveals them again!:D

Back
Top Bottom