SANBORN MAPS - recordkeeping for yards & curb strips

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Ahh.... something a bit tedious but something that I've found important for metal detecting curb / parking strips and private homes... recordkeeping!

The Sanborn Map Company began drawing maps of towns and cities in America going back to 1884, and these detailed and very accurate drawings were used for fire insurance information. They are like an early google view of the town, showing hotels, ballfields, parks, homes, businesses, racetracks, rodeo and fairgrounds, and other features of interest to detectorists. I am not going to get into that good aspect of the Sanborn Maps on this thread, just that they are great for dating a particular neighborhood and individual homes, AND they allow for great recordkeeping as to WHERE you have previously detected and WHAT PRIVATE HOMES you have ALREADY detected.

These maps exist for pretty much every town and city in the United States. Many of these maps are available for printing or browsing at your local library, local museum or historical society, and some states have the maps available for browsing, downloading or printing from the internet.

The pictures below show a page of the Sanborn Maps for GLASGOW MONTANA in October of 1910, one page out of four pages that are available for that year. Each page can easily be printed on an 11" by 17" or 8 1/2" by 11" format. The maps tell me where homes were located, and give good prospects on which ones to detect. Most importantly, having this printed map allows the detectorist to mark the homeowner's name and an "X" on the map when detected. Same with marking the curb / parking strips when detected. Nothing like wandering into a town where you have detected some yards and curb strips and can't remember which one. Saves some embarrassment when knocking on a door and having the homeowner telling you that YOU have already detected the yard! Ditto with the curb strips when you begin to wonder why you are not finding any coins! I also mark an "NP" (No Permission) on the map when I ask at a home and permission is declined. Again, good records might just stop you from knocking on that door again and having an irate homeowner chew you out!

Since most of my detecting is in Western Montana, I carry in my car the full Missoula Montana maps and those of where I live in Hamilton Montana. They are well marked with what curb strips and yards I've detected, saving me time in NOT going over what I've already done, and giving me great information as to when homes were built and where I may have the best chance for silver and older coins. If I detect another Montana town and the detecting turns out to be good, I make sure I have maps for that town when I return again.

I hope this information is of use, the Sanborn maps are a great reference in many ways for the detectorist!

Attachments

• glass2.jpg
    glass2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 541
  • glass1.jpg
    glass1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 503
  • glass3.jpg
    glass3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 490
I've heard of these, though I've never found a reliable source to view them. Usually use historic map works or historic aerials. Any extra tools to use for research, ill gladly accept. Appreciate the post!

Thanks for the interest, these maps are really excellent tools for knowing and marking where you've detected, and for finding good areas to try. Below is a partial page from a 1910 Eastern Montana town map, showing a Railroad Depot with a park located near the passenger depot. Lots of folks have enjoyed that park for 110 years, just might be a good spot to try!

Attachments

• depot.jpg
    depot.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 466
Thanks for the interest, these maps are really excellent tools for knowing and marking where you've detected, and for finding good areas to try. Below is a partial page from a 1910 Eastern Montana town map, showing a Railroad Depot with a park located near the passenger depot. Lots of folks have enjoyed that park for 110 years, just might be a good spot to try!

I agree we have an area like that near me .. sort of.. It is even called railroad park and the station that was there is now long gone.

Tom from Ca is always talking about Stage Stops and I had never been able to find any information on them in my area. Well someone on here recently did a post on the Library of Congress and old maps there.. Did a search on there and found the area and on the map it showed where the Stage stops were and the Livery stables next to them etc.. etc..

I find these old Maps VERY useful for research and I thank you for sharing !

Definitely a good source of information. They're good to use for located bottle sites too.

The older ones tend to be very limited in some towns, or all of the towns in my area it seems when I'm looking through them.

Appreciate the post

Thank you, and yes, I initially used these maps to find older homes to probe for the outhouse to dig bottles. Have dug many a great privy they are so good for bottles it is amazing! The Sanborn Maps do lend themselves well to metal detecting.

yacorie - you are right, the older 1884 and 1888 maps generally are somewhat limited to the downtown area, but later issues of the maps expanded outwards in what area they covered. Thankfully with metal detecting, even maps from as late as the 1950's will give a person a ton of homes to detect for silver, wheaties, tokens, and jewelry. The Missoula Montana maps from 1958 are EIGHTY pages so I have a lot of homes to detect, just in that town!

The local historic preservation society has a Sanborn map posted on their website from 1902. May try checking your local historic society.

You can also check out your local library. Some of them have access to online Sanborn Maps through the library, all you need is a library card.

Ray

Happy to share these maps. Great for knowing where you've already detected and for finding great places to try in the future! Can't wait for the snow to go away and the detecting to begin!

See also this FMDF link from just the other day, about the same topic (Using Sanborn Fire Insurance maps).
The old link I had for Sanborn maps required a username/password which was widely known, but hasn't worked for quite a LONG time.

The ones at the Library of Congress, referenced at the link below, are free and no login is required.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=270416&highlight=sanborn

Jim

Back
Top Bottom