Elvis Ugly 14k Gold Ring

TNTGross

Elite Member
Now this is the first gold I have ever found... In November of 2017 I got a Nokta Relic detector. Great machine for the short time it lasted. I was out playing with it in my back yard when I saw the rental property owner next door. He was down to clean the place up for the next tenants. I went over to show him my new toy. As we spoke, I asked if he would mind if I searched his property. As it was just another rental to him, he said sure, he didn't care.

I didn't search it right then because he was working on it. A day or two later, I grabbed the relic and walked across the street and fired it up. Standing on the street, I got it all set up and made a swing over where the curb meets the grass. I got a very strong low tone and saw a VDI number I wouldn't normally dig. But the hit was so hard, I figured I would take a look see.

It was only a couple three inches in the ground and right up next to the concrete of the curb. Even covered in dirt and grime, I was in awe. It was big, heavy, and Elvis Presley Ugly with 36 little diamonds.

I stood up, looked around to see if anyone had seen what I had just pulled out of the ground and I turned off my machine. My heart was all a flutter and I knew that nothing else I found that day would top it. I was done.

Without even stepping a foot onto his property, it was the best place I have ever hunted.

I took it up to a jeweler and he said it came in at 8.5 grams and half carrot of grade "yellow" diamonds. And that I could get a grand for it, private sale.

My Dad came over for Christmas that year and I showed it to him. He thought it was a beautiful ring, so I gave it to him. He loves it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

The ring is too big for a pinky finger, but I wanted to compare it to my wedding band.

Attachments

• Elvis Ugly 01.jpg
    Elvis Ugly 01.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 688
  • Elvis Ugly 02.jpg
    Elvis Ugly 02.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
It is gaudy but I bet dad sports it well! Unbelievable luck. Think you should be going back for round two. Who knows might score again.

It is gaudy but I bet dad sports it well! Unbelievable luck. Think you should be going back for round two. Who knows might score again.

I did go back a few days later. Found a 54 half dollar and a few wheats. A bunch of clad, but no more gold. It's a very small lot, but as I have heard so many times before, size doesn't matter.:laughing:

If that showed up in my hand it would be a beautiful addition to my Meagher collection. I have never see an Ugly diamond/14k gold ring Some that I would never buy for my wife but if I found them they would not be ugly.

Wow! Huge CONGRATS on your first gold!
It's not every year that you can give a thousand dollar Christmas present that you got for free. :yes:
Your detector is paying you back bigly already! :hi5:

Wow! Huge CONGRATS on your first gold!
It's not every year that you can give a thousand dollar Christmas present that you got for free. :yes:
Your detector is paying you back bigly already! :hi5:

I just reread your post. This was 2017, and you mentioned the machine didn't last. Sounds like it paid it's way quite nicely while it did last. The huge congrats on your first gold still stands!

I just reread your post. This was 2017, and you mentioned the machine didn't last. Sounds like it paid it's way quite nicely while it did last. The huge congrats on your first gold still stands!

Thanks, and yes, it did pay for itself, but it only lasted 6 months. Took the Relic to KELLYCO in Orlando to have it fixed. They sort of fixed it. It was a headphone jack issue. But then it started messing up in other ways.

I then contacted Nokta in Turkey. They sent me a part so that I could fix it myself. That made the issue worse. So, they then sent me a refurbished Nokta Relic box... Problem solved? Nice try, but no. This new box had no depth. If it was deeper than 3 inches, I wasn't finding it. Then the pinpoint button stopped working. I was done messing with it and them...

The good thing was, when I told my wife I wanted a new detector, due to that ring, she didn't put up much of a fight.

But this time I went American made and with a company that has a good reputation for quality and service.

I will say that the Relic was a great working machine when it worked, and Nokta and Kellyco tried to make things right. But I want to hunt when I want to hunt. And to do that, I need a good dependable detector. Not one that is in the shop or in the mail.

With that said, I think Nokta is a good company and the detectors they put out, I am sure, do a fine job. Odds are, I got a lemon, and then a replacement lemon. So if you have one or are thinking about getting one, I am not trashing them, nor do I harbor any ill will towards them or their products.

Thanks, and yes, it did pay for itself, but it only lasted 6 months. Took the Relic to KELLYCO in Orlando to have it fixed. They sort of fixed it. It was a headphone jack issue. But then it started messing up in other ways.

I then contacted Nokta in Turkey. They sent me a part so that I could fix it myself. That made the issue worse. So, they then sent me a refurbished Nokta Relic box... Problem solved? Nice try, but no. This new box had no depth. If it was deeper than 3 inches, I wasn't finding it. Then the pinpoint button stopped working. I was done messing with it and them...

The good thing was, when I told my wife I wanted a new detector, due to that ring, she didn't put up much of a fight.

But this time I went American made and with a company that has a good reputation for quality and service.

I will say that the Relic was a great working machine when it worked, and Nokta and Kellyco tried to make things right. But I want to hunt when I want to hunt. And to do that, I need a good dependable detector. Not one that is in the shop or in the mail.

With that said, I think Nokta is a good company and the detectors they put out, I am sure, do a fine job. Odds are, I got a lemon, and then a replacement lemon. So if you have one or are thinking about getting one, I am not trashing them, nor do I harbor any ill will towards them or their products.
That is a shame that you got a lemon relic. Reminds me of a van I had years ago. Best minds in auto mechanics were baffled trying to fix it. Sometimes you just get a lemon. One of the positive points buying used anything is “tried and true” unless of course someone is trying to pass on a lemon. Thankfully all my detectors I’ve bought (new and used) have turned out to be great looking and operating (knock on wood!!). Happy your back on track with your new detector.

Back
Top Bottom