Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

Default Today’s bottle

Found by my co-worker. I’ve asked to be placed on this project when it starts! Will have a better detector by then! Wish I was there today as they were in old material from the 1860’s.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P8...hDLP007Z4i9FLU

Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 PM

Nice blob..... 1800’s I wonder how many of those have been dug up by construction crews and thrown away

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

That’s awesome. I’ve worked on projects over the years that have exposed lots of great material during excavations. I never cared enough to bring them home and other clients wouldn’t allow it.

Great idea to get placed on that project if you can do it

Old 01-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bank Fisher View post
Nice blob..... 1800’s I wonder how many of those have been dug up by construction crews and thrown away
I’ve done work in Virginia City where the owners won’t let anyone look and the owners don’t either. When you hear bottles breaking it makes you cringe. My co worker said they broke a “brown” bottle on site today but has no idea what it was.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by CarsonChris View post
I’ve done work in Virginia City where the owners won’t let anyone look and the owners don’t either. When you hear bottles breaking it makes you cringe. My co worker said they broke a “brown” bottle on site today but has no idea what it was.
I would find a way.

Great bottle. Would be wonderful to have that up on the shelf.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by yacorie View post
That’s awesome. I’ve worked on projects over the years that have exposed lots of great material during excavations. I never cared enough to bring them home and other clients wouldn’t allow it.

Great idea to get placed on that project if you can do it
I wonder if the reasoning is similar to finding dinosaur bones at a construction site.. for fear that some archeologist could shut the site down for "historical purposes" until THEY could evaluate it. Easier for them to just not allow any scavenging I suppose..

2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (12) Wheats (73) Rings (17) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP

Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
I wonder if the reasoning is similar to finding dinosaur bones at a construction site.. for fear that some archeologist could shut the site down for "historical purposes" until THEY could evaluate it. Easier for them to just not allow any scavenging I suppose..
Yes most likely why. I do know a few construction workers who have saved a bottle or three.

If anyone ever sees this bottle filled dirt being trucked away to a remote site, try to check the piles. Many a great bottle has been rescued this way!

Old 01-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
Yes. With section 106 of the army corps permit, you’ll have an archaeologist clear the sites and also have an “unexpected discoveries” plan. If it’s not a project that required federal permits, it’s essentially a free for all as far as reporting goes on the ground.

Local construction sites would definitely be the easiest and least scrutinized. On big sites, historical glassware would definitely be reported