1952 Silver Quarter

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Today I had to take my Mother in Law to Krogers to the customer service desk. While waiting there for her I was looking at one of those charity containers and noticed a 1952 quarter. Asked the clerk if she had a key, because I'd like to exchange a new quarter for that 1952 quarter. She was real nice and unlocked it. I gave her a dollar donation and she gave me the quarter. Woo Hoo, a silver quarter worth 3.55 and I didn't have to hunt too hard for it. Just keep your eyes open, folks and don't be afraid to ask!

Attachments

• DSC00233.JPG
    DSC00233.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 195
Today I had to take my Mother in Law to Krogers to the customer service desk. While waiting there for her I was looking at one of those charity containers and noticed a 1952 quarter. Asked the clerk if she had a key, because I'd like to exchange a new quarter for that 1952 quarter. She was real nice and unlocked it. I gave her a dollar donation and she gave me the quarter. Woo Hoo, a silver quarter worth 3.55 and I didn't have to hunt too hard for it. Just keep your eyes open, folks and don't be afraid to ask!

So you ripped off $2.55 from charity Nice

So you ripped off $2.55 from charity Nice

NO I DIDN'T. The silver quarter would have been treated as a regular quarter just like the person who dropped it in there. I don't feel I did anything wrong. Are you thinking I should have given 3.55? I didn't even know for sure what it was worth till looking it up on the internet at home. I suppose I could go back there and drop in 2.55 but I'm not going to. I gave another dollar on the way out to the Salvation Army Bell ringer and I give every time I pass by. I also have people and animals that I help. How about you?

NO I DIDN'T. The silver quarter would have been treated as a regular quarter just like the person who dropped it in there. I don't feel I did anything wrong. Are you thinking I should have given 3.55? I didn't even know for sure what it was worth till looking it up on the internet at home. I suppose I could go back there and drop in 2.55 but I'm not going to. I gave another dollar on the way out to the Salvation Army Bell ringer and I give every time I pass by. I also have people and animals that I help. How about you?

I think you know it was worth more than a dollar and you took advantage of it

Do you honestly think that someone from the charity would go through the trouble to sell the coin and donate the extra $1.75 to charity? The coins all would have been dumped into a coin counter and deposited into a bank account. Where later some other guy or coin roll hunter would have found it.

I was going to respond to this, but realized I don't want to get involved. Not worth the time.

Good eye Pplinker! My son just got a silver quarter back from his change at the school book fair. Fun!

:popcorn:

Look at it this way...eventually that quarter like most silver will ultimately be cashed in, sold and melted. What was once only worth 25 cents, has now become $3 and some change, so...by catching the current value correction, our friend Mrs. PPlinker here is just helping correct the ever looming problem of yearly inflation by returning something to it's original value before it spirals out of control and makes the rest of our printing press fiat money worthless!

Congratz Mrs. P! Nice eye you got there! :pirate2:

Last edited:
I find myself eyeballing those charity donation jars, and those take a penny trays too...... good eye,
and good for you to give back , more than what it was,
yes it would have been treated as any other quarter.

And you would have replaced it with 3.55 or an even 3.50 or 3.75 even money ?
Or you've just got a sarcastic type of humor , like me.
Either way way, nice find , nice save , and they made out better than they would have with the old '52 quater

Good catch on the silver quarter!

This supposedly "friendly" forum has taken a not-so-friendly turn lately thanks to a handful of certain folks. Such a shame...

If who ever collected the money for the charity knew what a silver quarter was, I doubt if it would have ended up going to the charity anyway.

Replacing a silver quarter with another wouldn't be dishonest when the original one would only be valued as a quarter anyway. I believe that anyone knowing silver coins would do so and that doesn't make them dishonest.

Back
Top Bottom