• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Other hobbies?

groundmagnet

Besides metal detecting, my other hobbies are scuba diving and music recording. I have a music recording studio in my basement that I like to pass the time away in.

Anybody else have other hobbies besides detecting?

I have thousands of beetles, moths, and butterflies I've been collecting for 45 years. Various other interests too. My brother says I collect collections! I also collect animal skulls, vinyl records, beer cans, various fossils and cool minerals.

Last edited:
I have thousands of beetles, moths, and butterflies I've been collecting for 45 years. Various other interests too. My brother says I collect collections!

That is really neat! At one time in my past I was a nature director at a boy scout camp. I tried to mount a few insects, but they never worked out.

fishing I catch some big cats at the river just for fun sometime me and other guys go on a party boat Niantic river in Conn.

I used to fish for Striped Bass at Charles Rider Park in Kingsotn. It's the town boat launch. I have caught quite a few decent fish there in the past. Dana and I went there one time. She kept telling me she was stuck on the bottom. I finally grabbed her pole to try to get it unstuck, and the "bottom" pulled back! We ended up pulling in a 15 pound channel catfish! To this day, she does not let me live that down. If we go fishing, all she talks about is that fish LOL!

I think her trick is she sings them a fish song. Along the lines of 'here fishy fishy." And apparently the catfish "talk" to her.

Other occasional off and on hobbies include astronomy, rockhounding, making green screen videos, making stop action animation videos, making time lapse videos, also computers and gadgets. All depends what mood I'm in at the time :lol:

I also plan on getting a bicycle for low impact exercise, not precisely what some might consider a "hobby" but still fun :lol:

Other occasional off and on hobbies include astronomy, rockhounding, making green screen videos, making stop action animation videos, making time lapse videos, also computers and gadgets. All depends what mood I'm in at the time :lol:

I also plan on getting a bicycle for low impact exercise, not precisely what some might consider a "hobby" but still fun :lol:
I'm getting a pelaton. I need a new clothes hangar

Mountain biking is quite enjoyable. And I also like scrapping old appliances. I especially like those round magnets you get from microwaves. I also collect cords from old appliances during 'bulk waste removals' in our council, because they're worth $2 a kilo, so I'm happy if I can collect 25-30kg of cords in a week or two. Not really a hobby, just something I do for fun. :)

Oh, and rocks and landforms (geology in general) is quite interesting too!

Last edited:
My other hobbies include two wheeled & four legged horsepower, shooting/hunting with crossbows/air rifles/ and powder burners (sometimes with guns I've built), and staying alive long enough to see tomorrow. :laughing:

That reminded me I used to mess around building Estes model rockets when I was a kid, still have a few sitting around.

Probably haven't ordered from their catalog since I was a teenager if I remember right, but maybe later than that, either way it's been a long while.

https://www.estesrockets.com/
You'd be amazed what they are doing in this hobby. Two stage, three stage, miles high, cameras,all kind of electronics. Google high power rocketry for fun !

Just a few...

Also, detecting, is something I've found fun to do when I'm not ice fishing...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160124_171023552_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160124_171023552_HDR.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20150310_010456_zpsts9f0n3e.JPG
    IMG_20150310_010456_zpsts9f0n3e.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 315
  • tricone28.jpg
    tricone28.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 283
You'd be amazed what they are doing in this hobby. Two stage, three stage, miles high, cameras,all kind of electronics. Google high power rocketry for fun !

I remember way back when Estes advertised a rocket with a nose camera that took video of the ground as it was going up, and it used film !

There was also one that took one still picture on the way down.

I'm sure the ones today use memory chips instead of film, what next, model rockets that make it into space before coming back down ? :shock: :lol:

I always enjoyed science stuff like rockets, telescopes, microscopes, ect.

https://rocketry.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/a-cineroc-short-produced-by-estes/

http://www.rcgrabbag.com/archives/estes-camroc-1966

http://www.poweredmodelairplanes.com/fmr/camroc.html

Back
Top Bottom