Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Administrator

You are welcome guys. Glad you found it helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 144051 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

Nicely said!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for bumping this, I'm going to be paying a lot more attention to the threshold this year.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Sorry for bumping an old post, but this seems like the best place for my question.

I just bought a Sand Shark (P.I.) and I want to get as much depth as possible so I run the Pulse Width (gain?) setting maxed. When I adjust the threshold knob, I can start to hear the threshold at about 30% but it is unstable and breaking up, kind of sputtering, it isn't until I turn it up to 60% or so that the threshold hum is a stable hum. I then adjust the volume so scanning a surface quarter is loud, but the threshold is now far louder than "barely audible"...

I can lower the volume to make the threshold barely audible, but a surface quarter will be much quieter. I imagine lowering the pulse width would allow me to get a stable threshold at a lower setting, but that would defeat my purpose of max depth..

Does it matter how loud the threshold is or is it just making sure to have it at the lowest stable setting?

Anyone want to help point me in the right direction?

Edit: With it set like above with the lowest stable threshold, max gain, I can't seem to get the threshold to null in my test garden... I get good depth on normal beeps, but it goes from positive change in threshold (beep) to no threshold response as I raise the coil... I thought there would be a null area in between getting a beep and no response...

Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the help. Informative.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM

This post by Rudy, as well the Sounds post, must be read by all..

Awesome information!

≡ Tesoro Vaquero ≡ Garrett Pro Pointer ≡ Lesche Digger ≡
2012 Clad: $21.76, 2 Silver, 2 IH, 9 Wheaties, 1 Silver Bracelet, 1 Gold/Diamond Ring

Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

First, Set your Pulse Width at 3/4 - not Max. Now set your volume at half, and THEN set your threshold to where you can just hear it over the background noise. You will find that on some beaches, you will be able to use maximum power, and on some you won't. Important to relax, and learn from every target.

Also, MAKE SURE that you have set the tone to the proper frequency for YOUR ear! The ability to tune the freq to your personal hearing is a huge plus, so take advantage of it!

Originally Posted by Crumble View post
Sorry for bumping an old post, but this seems like the best place for my question.

I just bought a Sand Shark (P.I.) and I want to get as much depth as possible so I run the Pulse Width (gain?) setting maxed. When I adjust the threshold knob, I can start to hear the threshold at about 30% but it is unstable and breaking up, kind of sputtering, it isn't until I turn it up to 60% or so that the threshold hum is a stable hum. I then adjust the volume so scanning a surface quarter is loud, but the threshold is now far louder than "barely audible"...

I can lower the volume to make the threshold barely audible, but a surface quarter will be much quieter. I imagine lowering the pulse width would allow me to get a stable threshold at a lower setting, but that would defeat my purpose of max depth..

Does it matter how loud the threshold is or is it just making sure to have it at the lowest stable setting?

Anyone want to help point me in the right direction?

Edit: With it set like above with the lowest stable threshold, max gain, I can't seem to get the threshold to null in my test garden... I get good depth on normal beeps, but it goes from positive change in threshold (beep) to no threshold response as I raise the coil... I thought there would be a null area in between getting a beep and no response...

Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

Very good information. I have been confused about this, but that helps a lot.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Wow, this was a great thread! Wish I'd read this a couple weeks back.

Dave

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gameoftag View post
Very good information. I have been confused about this, but that helps a lot.
Thanks, comments like yours makes the effort of posting these kinds of threads worthwhile.

Originally Posted by IClaudius View post
Wow, this was a great thread! Wish I'd read this a couple weeks back.

Dave
Wish you had.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Supporter

Great Post Rudy. Thanks for the explanations.

Currently I dig everything, but, I have learned when not to.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM

I have a vaquero and have not spent much time trying to learn the VCO mode much. This post explained a lot of what I was not understanding. Great post, thanks.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

Threshhold is when your getting along fine with your wife, volume is when she's upset!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by sllingshot47 View post
Threshhold is when your getting along fine with your wife, volume is when she's upset!
overload is what comes after that

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Supporter

AND the threshold is where you end up.....

Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Elite Member