• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Separate Coins For Different Purposes?

tjr35

Elite Member
I have started to separate my coins into different containers and am wondering if anyone does something similar. I am thinking:

Quarters - Saving Towards New Detector
Dimes - Saving Towards Accessories Like Coils, Diggers, etc..
Nickels - Saving For Backup Pro Pointer
Pennies - Consumables (More Like Coffee and Water Money)
Copper Pennies - Hoard For Eventual Scrapping

Unfortunately I don't get out very often so at my current pace these containers won't be ready to cash in anytime soon.

I think one must be slightly obsessive compulsive to do MD... why not prioritize the purpose with each new coin?! I might just have to do this. But then, I'd have to dig only pennies for a long time because COFFEE is very high on my priority list in the morning.

I like the idea. Right now I'm dumping everything into one jar to boost my ego :laughing:

But seriously good idea. I also have seen on this forum where members will organize their finds in an organizer container with adjustable sections - I may do that. Hoard pennies but I also hoard nickels, until the mint starts making them out of less nickel some day soon...

No, I dump everything into a bucket until the end of the year when I take it to the bank to exchange for cash. If you are saving for specific items, then just prioritize your needs.

Right now I'm saving everything to pay myself back for my detector then all of my savings go toward a Pro Pointer. I think that after that I will do what you are doing though. I really like that idea.

Well... I counted up my TOTAL clad take for 2013.

With the Jackson Dollar coin I found yesterday, my grand total of all clad found is $2.62.

I'ts gonna take a while. Of course it *did* take me about 15 years to collect $56.74 in clad the LAST time, so I figure I'll average around $10.00 a year in clad findings.

At that rate, figuring out the costs of my detectors, my first $50 Micronta is already paid off. I sold that one in 1988, and my Tesoro still has over $275.00 to go to pay itself off. Sold THAT about three years ago. My current detector is not paid off at all yet.

Still haven't found gold. Ohhhh wellllll. :D It's about the sunshine.

SageGrouse

Well... I counted up my TOTAL clad take for 2013.

With the Jackson Dollar coin I found yesterday, my grand total of all clad found is $2.62.

I'ts gonna take a while. Of course it *did* take me about 15 years to collect $56.74 in clad the LAST time, so I figure I'll average around $10.00 a year in clad findings.

At that rate, figuring out the costs of my detectors, my first $50 Micronta is already paid off. I sold that one in 1988, and my Tesoro still has over $275.00 to go to pay itself off. Sold THAT about three years ago. My current detector is not paid off at all yet.

Still haven't found gold. Ohhhh wellllll. :D It's about the sunshine.

SageGrouse

That the spirit sager!! I've only been at it (serious like) for about a tear. I never plan on paying for the equipment I have bought. Not really the goal(im not that naive). I lke being outdoors And this hobby is healthier than most my others. I enjoy finding the "good stuff" (and it have to be borderline miracle good to break even) and I do pile up a fair amount of clad. That gets split up at seasons end between a few charities. So pennies (i do separate out copper and wheats) clad dimes, nicks and quarterts all go in the same bin

I've been separating out copper pennies and nickles to hoard. Older finds like wheat pennies I keep separate to add to the coin collection. Regular quarters, dimes and zinc pennies go in a jar to eventually reimburse myself for the detector purchase.

I've also been collecting quite a bit of brass, iron and copper that I will eventually take to the scrap yard. The lead I find I keep for when I get into bullet casting.

Back
Top Bottom