Metal Shank Button - "Harshorne & Sons" ??

jdog09

Hi everyone. I metal detected this old shank button near an old hospital in NC that was built in the 1850s. It is 3/4" in diameter. Does anyone know if this button could date to that period? Also, can anyone tell me about the manufacturer? The back of the button says something like "Hartshornes & Sons". I also see a couple letters closer to the shank. Maybe "TA"...

Attachments

• Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Capture7.JPG
    Capture7.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Capture8.JPG
    Capture8.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Capture9.JPG
    Capture9.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Capture10.JPG
    Capture10.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 179
I don't show a "Hartshorn & Sons. In McGuinn and Bazelon's backmark book I found the following: "Hartshorn, Norfolk, Va. B/m (w/o initials) on c. 1840's NA-106, rmdc. Possible the S. Hartshorn listed form at least 1852-60 as operating an ice house at 13 Loyalls Lane. Norfolk is spelled as "Norfold" Va. Another b/m gives "S. W. Hartshorn/ Norfolk.Va" on a c1840 navy button, eagle on vertical anchor. (Courtesy Robert Edmondson)."

Most American flat buttons were made between 1820 and 1840. After that date, they started falling our of favor as the technology was available to make buttons out of bone, mother of pearl, etc. I think the above dates would fit your button.

Back
Top Bottom