winter time blues

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
Hey y'all,
New here to the forum and metal detecting in general. Me and my Fiance discovered the hobby a few weeks back and it's been a blast so far. Found an old 1950s Fiat toy car, a handful of copper pennies and a black hills gold gold ring so far. I think it's safe to say we're both pretty hooked. Now that the winter is finally here in Montana, I'm not sure how to scratch the itch that I have... It's freezing cold but I still wanna go! Anyways, what do you guys do to help curb the itch to go hunting when you can't?? Glad to be here by the way!

I'm in the same place. . . we just got dumped on with about 10 inches of snow and sub-freezing temperatures. Effectively ending my detecting season. :( I'll spend the off-weeks researching and getting new permissions, cleaning and organizing my finds, doing some electrolysis on some rusty iron pieces, watching some youtubes and reading and learning as much as I can about the hobby. Then I'll be ready to hit the ground running when the ground thaws and the temperature goes up a bit.

Right on! This winter thing is horrible. Spent my whole life in the desert where there was no such thing as winter LOL. So how do you go about getting permissions? Lots of private land around here but can't even begin to figure out who owns it... Anyways nice to meet Everyone! Looking forward to learning a lot here!

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

One thing is you can search for youtube videos on your model detector to learn it even better while you're waiting for the weather to get better.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

I definitely spend a whole lot of time on YouTube haha. I can't complain to much about the winter... Been at this hobby for a month or so and already found some really cool stuff. A gold ring being the find of the year... So far. Lol. I'm definitely enjoying building up a coin collection, blows me away how valuable some old coins can be. Not really looking to sell them or anything, but looking them up on the book is pretty awesome.

There's a whole section on here about getting permission. Read up on that, tons of good advice and information. Find owners through auditor websites / property records, talk to people, knock on doors, etc.

Welcome from the Lowcountry of south Carolina. Coins that have been dug lose most of their value to collectors. If one has them graded they will be listed as environmentally damaged. Unless they are an extremely rare coin they do not have anywhere near book value

Yeah, I kinda figured any coins I dig up wouln't be "worth much" but they're still valuable to us! It's just the awesome experience of digging them up and researching that we like! Thanks Everyone for the warm welcomes!

Welcome from a very frozen N. Michigan. Congrats on the cool finds you have made so far. Another good thing to do during the hard ground time of the year is coin roll hunting. I think everyone here has done it and some have done awesome.

Coin roll hunting?? We were thinking about that, Just buying rolls of coins hoping to find some good ones but werent sure where to go. Can we just buy them from the bank? That would be awesome! Not quite the same as digging them up but for adding some cool coins to the collection I bet it would be pretty cool....

Hey y'all,
New here to the forum and metal detecting in general. Me and my Fiance discovered the hobby a few weeks back and it's been a blast so far. Found an old 1950s Fiat toy car, a handful of copper pennies and a black hills gold gold ring so far. I think it's safe to say we're both pretty hooked. Now that the winter is finally here in Montana, I'm not sure how to scratch the itch that I have... It's freezing cold but I still wanna go! Anyways, what do you guys do to help curb the itch to go hunting when you can't?? Glad to be here by the way!

Dang...only a few weeks and you've got your first gold? That's awesome....congrats.

During the "off season" I complain about the cold and snow and frozen ground :)

Seriously though, this year, I'm going to be dedicating the winter to trying to learn my Nox 800...

I know the feeling. I just came a bit ago from removing about 10 inches of global warming from my driveway and the day after tomorrow is predicted to reach windchills of 30 degrees below zero.My wifes brother recently retired and said he is interested in metal detecting but wants to try before he buys. He encountered me several times when he was working for the forest preserve district and thought it looked interesting. He wants to use something simple without all the settings so I thought I'd start him out on the bounty hunter quicksilver. He has access to a site that sounds absolutely fantastic so that makes me really anxious for spring.

I hit the sledding hills during school hours. You get a little clad and a few rings. So far this winter I've got a couple of dollars in change, stainless, tungsten and silver rings and even a junk toe ring. How do you lose a toe ring in the snow???
It's hard to feed the obsession this time of year.

I hit the sledding hills during school hours. You get a little clad and a few rings. So far this winter I've got a couple of dollars in change, stainless, tungsten and silver rings and even a junk toe ring. How do you lose a toe ring in the snow???
It's hard to feed the obsession this time of year.

Yeah I tried going out in the snow covered Parks, my MD picks up signals but the wind blows the snow back into the hole Lol. Sledding hills might not be a bad idea tho!

I know the feeling. I just came a bit ago from removing about 10 inches of global warming from my driveway and the day after tomorrow is predicted to reach windchills of 30 degrees below zero.My wifes brother recently retired and said he is interested in metal detecting but wants to try before he buys. He encountered me several times when he was working for the forest preserve district and thought it looked interesting. He wants to use something simple without all the settings so I thought I'd start him out on the bounty hunter quicksilver. He has access to a site that sounds absolutely fantastic so that makes me really anxious for spring.

I agree. My fiance and I are hooked! You should get your brother in law a bounty Hunter tracker 4. Super easy to figure out and so far it's never failed me. Good starter machine.

Coin roll hunting?? We were thinking about that, Just buying rolls of coins hoping to find some good ones but werent sure where to go. Can we just buy them from the bank? That would be awesome! Not quite the same as digging them up but for adding some cool coins to the collection I bet it would be pretty cool....

Yeah Coin Roll Hunting is super cool! Theres even a sub Forum here on this site under "Whats the Value?"...take a look at that! One sweet thing about CRH is you are not OUT any money! Its something you can both do together! A wonderful Date Night event! Ya light some candles, put some Barry White playing softly on the bose, and get busy roll rippin!!

Back
Top Bottom