Nox 15” coil?

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
So does everyone on here hunt with an Xcal or CZ? Im surprised a lot more of these 15” coils are out and ive yet to see the PLACEBO affect...... where the videos or pictures of stuff? I figured here since we have a good many water hunters someone would start doing a review of how it works IN the water. Reviews IMO so far from dirt hunters have been ..... not a lot of depth or sensitivity over the standard coil...... so just coverage. Id assume when that larger coil hits the water .....you will have to adjust the sensitivity. Is that good? Well..... it could be IF there is a depth difference. Loosing sensitivity might get you deeper on big gold and knock out smaller targets that tend to annoy some or the hard pan chatter. I recommend you change your cuff if the coil adds water friction.

Last edited:
I assume you meant the 15 inch coil. I never liked huge coils in the water. I never liked the weight either. I figure on the beaches I hunt I will never cover it all anyways. So it comes down to depth. I have read where that the increase is minimal. So I'll pass. I wasnt a fan of the 6 inch either. The stock will do 95 percent of what the 6 inch will do.

I assume you meant the 15 inch coil. .... I have read where that the increase is minimal......

That's what I was thinking. That he meant the 15" Wot coil.

I tried the Wot coil on an Excal. Since the Excal. is hard-wired, I had to be an in-line splice coupler. Once I got it all set up, I did not notice any more depth than the 10" had been giving. Only increased coverage/swath.

To whatever extent there *might* have been a tad more depth, it certainly wasn't worth it. It was very warbly fishy performance IMHO. Very difficult pinpointing. But maybe some people can get used to it.

I know that the Sovereign guys have indeed gained more depth when moving over to the WOT (assuming they get used to the warbliness) . And theoretically : The Sov & Excal are supposed to be the same thing (just that the Excal is waterproof). So theoretically, they both should be the same with the WOT. But for some reason, I didn't get any of the fabled depth gain when I tried it on my Excal.

Here we go

One guy spread's a rumor about a nox 17, :laughing: , your the 2nd :shock::lol: , Dew i am getting the 15 for the beach and wet sand, i don't think it will be good in the water, just like the 17 CTX coil , they break , even with a stronger CF lower rod , i want the coverage with the 15, depth, and it will get the small stuff just like the CTX 17 coil, it - will find the small gold, i do know in the water - the stock rod won't hold up , and with a 15 coil , either the coil , or lower rod will break , sooner or later , however all the hour's water hunting you put in, you can prove us all wrong, relax bro., i have been trying to get this coil for 7 month's, i do think within the next two week's , i will have one , happy hunting Earl

Maybe some people waited so long for the Nox 800 to get to them that they weren't interested in another waiting list for the 15" coil :)

Also, for me, the Nox hasn't been through a season of winter erosion hunting yet. Kinda feel like...well lets see how great it works this winter as stock then try the 15" later.

Even more still...maybe some either think its great as is, or are worried about more shaft, coil connection, arm cuff and hydrodynamics issues with the 15" :)

But I get what you mean. Where are the latest and greatest beach finds with the 15" :)

Duh.....yes I ment the 15 I corrected that. I’m just really on the fence and am on a list but I was kind of hoping to not have to decide without some good reviews. Like some one said thou maybe it’s getting to cold and some of the guys aren’t in the water. My decision right now is to pass. Ive got an Andersons shaft so no issues there. Seems to be more trade offs than I want for the price Earl.

4 Water

The 15 won't be for you, i hunt the low, and high tide line mostly, so the 15 will work for me, as far as reviews go, i only know of two guys that have them on here, one hunts land, one hunts both land & water, you might have to wait a while on reviews, accessory availability has been terrible , waiting for a 800, than a 6, now a 15 , Dew your better off waiting, watching this one, happy Florida all year round hunting, Earl

I'll probably get the 15" coil for the NOX this Spring...I put the NEL Thunder on my AtPro specifically for the advanced coverage and not so much the depth advantages....even though is has them....

There was nothing wrong with the stock Garrett 8x11" mind you, but a guy can go miles between pings up here on Lake Michigan....That said, a guy needs to mod the shaft on the NOX to fling that big a coil...it wobbles with the stock 11"...I doubt the NOX stock shaft will hold up in the water with a 15" on it....I liked the Thunder on the AtPro...so Yeah, I'll get the 15" for the NOX and straight run the rod......

That's what I was thinking. That he meant the 15" Wot coil.

I tried the Wot coil on an Excal. Since the Excal. is hard-wired, I had to be an in-line splice coupler. Once I got it all set up, I did not notice any more depth than the 10" had been giving. Only increased coverage/swath.

I have the 15" WOT Soverign on my Excal and it is very deep. Annoyingly so.

I know my friend is using the 15 x 12 Nox coil inland. But will say after using a CTX 17" coil and seeing another friends break the coil ears off, the 15" Nox will snap the lower rod off in a couple days at the beach. Water hunting will be impossible with a factory lower rod. So just be sure you have a back up detector at all times if they dont do something with the stock lower rod. You seen a Nox 15" yet? You may break the lower rod and arm cuff off in the same day swinging one? Been thinking about designing my own nox lower rod for men!:lol:

Mines just arrived .. will be hitting the low tides tomorrow! :detector:

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 390
There ya go.

As far as the Xcal and any large coil goes. I honestly think BBS just looses less depth IN the salt water than FFB and the Nox. They have great depth air testing and out of the water...... but watch that coil HALO swrink once you are about waist deep.

i will get to the beach with mine asap but did like it dirt hunting found a nice barber dime at 10- 11 inches with it like the coverage in fields not to heavy to swing my arm got a little tired

I think i'd have more use for the 6" coil than then 15. I can't wait to try that 6" in the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom