beware of 925 markings

dirtydog

Forum Supporter
I'm sure many of you already know this but for the new people it may help. When you find jewelry with a quality marking it may not be what you think. also beware if you buy it. It's my understanding that most of these come from Flea markets and the small booths in Malls. We are seeing some 925 jewelry that stamped Italy and China Marked 925 but it is plated. I've found them before but just wanted to show you a good sized necklace that had been in the ocean for awhile. I found this in about 6" of sand at about waist deep water. Test it before you buy it or sell it.

Attachments

• 20170503_165427 copy.jpg
    20170503_165427 copy.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 329
  • 20170503_165640 copy.jpg
    20170503_165640 copy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 325
  • 20170503_165315 copy.jpg
    20170503_165315 copy.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 321
A strong magnet is your friend, I've had hanging chains that had sections that the magnet didn't move others it did, maybe for selling?
A notable designer name is a pulse, but not always!
Even the stamped K gold with just Italy is suspect these days.
You really need to file on acid tests too, a rub on the stone of a ring with heavy plating doesn't always cut it.
DL

925 could be their model number also.

DO NOT ASSUME China or Italy is fake, nor the diamonds in silver are fake. More than not they are good. Likewise there are many fake Tiffany, Cartier and Rolex to be found. How about AVON...they are making real gold with precious stones. Just because there is a marking, look, feel or name don't assume it is good or bad...verify it.

A strong magnet is your friend, I've had hanging chains that had sections that the magnet didn't move others it did, maybe for selling?
A notable designer name is a pulse, but not always!
Even the stamped K gold with just Italy is suspect these days.
You really need to file on acid tests too, a rub on the stone of a ring with heavy plating doesn't always cut it.
DL

You got that right Dirty. a magnet id in my test EQ. box.

In their defense they probably meant it was made at 9:25 a.m. :laughing:

Is that the Chinese or the Italian in you giving that defense Kap?:lol:

Everything that I have ever found marked "Italy" has been a fake. I don't even test it if it says China.

You may be passing up some good finds. While I agree they are the ones to watch for right now. I have gold, silver, and diamonds from both countries that are real.

925 could be their model number also.

DO NOT ASSUME China or Italy is fake, nor the diamonds in silver are fake. More than not they are good. Likewise there are many fake Tiffany, Cartier and Rolex to be found. How about AVON...they are making real gold with precious stones. Just because there is a marking, look, feel or name don't assume it is good or bad...verify it.

Second that comment WW. Thanks for looking.

Back
Top Bottom