1896 Guatemalan 2 Reale

MTJosh

Elite Member
Was going through some finds from possibly even 2 years ago. Had a jar with some cruddy beach clad quarters and tokens. tumbled a bunch to get them bank worthy. Tossed in tokens and misc foreign coins from the beach too to make them look better. Emptied the tumbler and saw shiny silver. One of the dark beach "tokens" turned out to be a 1896 Guatemalan 2 Reale. It is .835 silver, even states it on the coin. It is very close size to a quarter so see how I could have tossed it in a clad quarter bin It could have been lost at the beach 10 years ago or 100+ years ago. This is my oldest coin from the beach and first 1800's coin in CA. This was from a beach in southern CA. I have found old mercs, buffs, wheats Washington quarters and walkers from this stretch so guess anything is possible. Needless to say I am very happy with this find. It now sits proudly next to the barber quarters I found in the dirt.

Attachments

• 1896 2 Reale.jpg
    1896 2 Reale.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 1896 2 Reale back.jpg
    1896 2 Reale back.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 291
Those tumbling surprises are always great but I guess its even more special when its a 19th century coin! :wow:

Fun story. And good pix. Thanx for sharing.

I heard of a guy who was working Pismo beach during the 1982-83 storms, and was getting lots of silver dimes and quarters. Later, when he got home to sort them all out, he realized that one of them was a Spanish reale. It was the size of a dime, and black, so he had just assumed it was silver dime when he'd found it.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This was my first central American silver. Found modern Guatemalan coins at the beach before. Found coins from over 25 countries at the beaches in socal. Being in LA area no shortage of people from other places visiting the beach. Goes to show never know what the next target will be.

These pictures look much better than the text you sent me.
Very unusual to see this come from one of our local beaches.
Inspires me to keep digging.

Great find Josh

Back
Top Bottom