Lead Weights

SBHunter

Hey guys/gals

What do you do with lead fishing weights?

I've gotten a little collection of them now. Can they be melted down and sold on EBay? Or sold as is? Any suggestions?

Damon

Sell them to fisherman. Depending on the size you can get 2 or 3 dollars a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling on ebay or to people set up to process the lead will not get you anywhere near top price for your lead. Reloaders are always looking for lead under the going rate. Fishermen pay a premium over melt for their formed sinkers and that's the best way to sell that I know of. If you have to ship, it will kill any profit margin.

I'd advertise locally on Craigslist or such and cater to fishermen (first), then reloaders (second). If I was local to you, I'd buy them for reloading.

I dunno what to do with them, but while we're on the subject (and not to hijack a thread), does anyone know what this lead thing is?

IMG_1431.jpg

I found six of them in an area where I see people fishing. I asked a couple fishermen, but they didn't have a clue.

R5

I scrap lead with no other metal type showing.
I chuck some out into deeper water
I just gave all to my fishing coworker who also says he will melt some for bullets.

Sell them to fisherman. Depending on the size you can get 2 or 3 dollars a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of sinkers do you find??

I get 2.00 each for 3 pound ones here. I don't know of anywhere else you can get that much or more. Mine are all in 25 - 50 foot of water also.

I dunno what to do with them, but while we're on the subject (and not to hijack a thread), does anyone know what this lead thing is?

View attachment 432626

I found six of them in an area where I see people fishing. I asked a couple fishermen, but they didn't have a clue.

R5

If it is an older area that people freqent I would guess part of a lead toy.

Collect them like a crazy woman! Someday I'll sell them on Craigslist. :)

My friend shoves them in an "If it fits it ships box" then takes a pic and sell them on E-bay - buyer pays shipping and he is getting I think 1.00 to 1.50 a pound average on them.

Attachments

• fishing lead 1.jpg
    fishing lead 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 422
  • fishing lead 2.jpg
    fishing lead 2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 403

View attachment 432626

R5

That looks like an old flower arranger with all the pegs missing? Maybe?

Well, a guy can do some lost wax castings!...A guy can fiddle around and make some pretty cool items with found lead, a propane torch, some plaster, and a ladle ...

3 years ago I sold a 180 pounds for $180 to a fisherman I probably have a 150 more to part with.. they sell when they are free of hardware..

I save all the lead I find. I melt it down and cast the sinkers that I use for my fishing. In the past I would cast bullets for my muzzle loading rifles. Just do the melting outside.

There's differences in the hardiness of lead. For bullets we neer harder lead like wheel weight, for muzzleloaders softer lead but fishing sinkers anything will work so there is often a mix. Scrap metal recycling or selling for fishing weight casting is best.

I trade it with a local scrap merchant, I bring him 100lbs of lead he let’s me wander around his yard and take whatever I want, the wife doesn’t like this arrangement, oh no, not one little bit :)

I dump my entire trash pouch into the nearest trash can. :laughing:
The last thing I need is more buckets of clutter in the garage!

Back
Top Bottom