Scoop

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Anyone have one of these Scoopal scoops? If so how do you like it? There are things i like about it...... smaller hole, slits, the ability to fit about any handle. Been working in hard pan with a lot of big shells to dig thru .... like digging in rocks out there about chest deep. So its been a bit of a pain to get the StarvR scoop down in there. This puppy seems to have a nice point too. You guys who have them...... do you get what you pay for on this one?

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...nd-scoop-water-hunting-scoop-metal-detecting/

I would like to see some answers to your question as well. Would like to make it a back-up/travel configuration for me.

here goes

That scoop is made by Deteknix , a sponsor on here should sell them, i purchased a new Scuba Detector from this company , epoxied the bottom because at the time no Coil cover was available, and i will tell you this , haven't even used it yet beside's playing with it , and already the on and off button is acting up which also control's the setting's, :roll: said in there- that epoxy the bottom void's the warranty :?: , but if the scoops are anything like my encounter's , MY OPINION IS , i would by a RTG scoop 1st. Than again tried it tonight no problem, i think the button is sticking , as far as the scoop , 304 stainless for 99 bucks , wonder what the thickness is , looking it up now . 1.4 mil is what Gauge thickness https://www.questmetaldetectors.com/product-page/scoopal-sand-scoop Looks like the scoop in thickness 1.4 mil = between 16 and 18 gauge , Not thick enough , were the high end 304 stainless scoops run 14 gauge , which is 2.0 Mil thick , this is why it is a light scoop . Dew

Last edited:
That's the scoop I have. I like it.

It'll dig deep holes with a small radius.

It's built solid and I couldn't find anything priced as cheap.

I used it with a shovel handle and it wasn't light. Now I use it with a regular handle, it's much lighter.
My only issue is I had to use stainless steel washers as spacers for the u-bolts.

It works perfect with a raptor handle.

It can pick around rocks ok. It filters and digs through dry sand easily. You can't shake out wet/damp sand easily. I find the scoop and kick method easier.

You can see the wear I have on the tip.

Edit- just re-read your comment. As far as water hunting I have used it waist deep.
It isn't a wide scoop, so your pinpoint has to be spot on.

Hope that helps. GL HH

Attachments

• IRS20181231_174544.jpg
    IRS20181231_174544.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IRS20181231_174522.jpg
    IRS20181231_174522.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 287
Walrus350 1.4 mil

Is between 16 and 18 gauge , not a heavy duty scoop is all i am saying, might be good for dry sand , but not for a seasoned water hunter , it wouldn't last ONE day up in CT. I notice your lip is already chipping, and bending right side looking at your pick. Now if it was 14 or better 12 gauge for 99 clams , i would be all in . That being said it might be good for dry sand , but it isn't heavy duty . Also added a scoop that is nice

Attachments

• P1000473.JPG
    P1000473.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 257
  • P1000921.JPG
    P1000921.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 250
Walrus 350

The scoops with the yellow hybrid handles in my pick have the U bolt set up, improvements over the year's beside's the Stavr scoops , have come a long way , SunSpot was the 1st scoop manufacturer to have the goose neck with the welded nut and bolt quick release , than other manufacturer's followed suit , i might be wrong , but the quick release system is much better if you break a handle , the U bolt system is the OLD style adding a bit of weight , the only way to lesson the weight , is making the 304 stainless thinner , which has been done here .

For digging in rocks, nothing beats the Nuttall. I have pried so many rocks with mine that left other guys with their sunspots all bent to !!!!, and the nuttall is just barely starting to split a bit at the tip, quick hammer and re-weld will fix that up.

The ubolt setup is a huge weight burden. Had 1 like it before and it was out the door at the first possible chance. As for the 1.4ml if the tip is starting to fold just weld on a thicker piece.. but not a fan of the ubolt at all

Steve

Agree , the Old School U bolts , and the 1.4 Mil thickness :roll:, i don't like it , and to boot wouldn't want that tank dry sand hunting either , you don't really need a 12 inch long bucket for dry sand, or the U bolt style . i would go with a 10 inch ,8 wide , with 1/2 inch holes and a quick release goose neck .

That's the scoop I have. I like it.

It'll dig deep holes with a small radius.

It's built solid and I couldn't find anything priced as cheap.

I used it with a shovel handle and it wasn't light. Now I use it with a regular handle, it's much lighter.
My only issue is I had to use stainless steel washers as spacers for the u-bolts.

It works perfect with a raptor handle.

It can pick around rocks ok. It filters and digs through dry sand easily. You can't shake out wet/damp sand easily. I find the scoop and kick method easier.

You can see the wear I have on the tip.

Edit- just re-read your comment. As far as water hunting I have used it waist deep.
It isn't a wide scoop, so your pinpoint has to be spot on.

Hope that helps. GL HH

Great review! Thanks

Thanks guys ...... i saw the .3 holes, but not the gauge. I certainly would have cut those U-bolts off. Ill pass on the RTG....... had a couple and the ones i had tended to row in hard pan on me. I like the StarvR...... just checking around and someone mentioned this scoop. Of course the price made me go Oooo as did the design. I dont mind the U bolts.... i modified my StavR in fact since it had the screw hole way to low and would split my handles with the twisting and pulling.

Thanks guys ...... i saw the .3 holes, but not the gauge. I certainly would have cut those U-bolts off. Ill pass on the RTG....... had a couple and the ones i had tended to row in hard pan on me. I like the StarvR...... just checking around and someone mentioned this scoop. Of course the price made me go Oooo as did the design. I dont mind the U bolts.... i modified my StavR in fact since it had the screw hole way to low and would split my handles with the twisting and pulling.
I just epoxied my pole in permanently. Water tight, floats and actually makes digging easier. Using the tdi pro in the wet sand it finally came loose (no screw). So irepoxied it again and put the screw in. Knock off stavr

Dew

The Stavr is ok , however he uses still today the lame one hole screw in the goose neck lockdown , which is lame, not the welded nut & bolt quick release like Xtream & Sunspot, just mentioned rtg as, i would buy rtg before i would buy this scoop, its not thick enough to hold up for your rough 5-7 day water hunting style.

Back
Top Bottom