Water scoop

My Homemade Scoop

I took a hand scoop, removed the handle, and added a long aluminum handle with support braces. It's very light - just over 1 lb, and works great. I know it looks kind of funky, but it doesn't weigh me down or wear me out at the beach.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Sand Scoop.jpg
    Sand Scoop.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 215
A coulpla years back, Chuck was thinking about making a Titanium scoop! Super light but STRONG! There was some Forum chatter, Yes,...We are not the Athletic Steel driving Men we once were....But what we now lack in strength we may have the means to pay for comfort!....Like hearing aids and reading glasses and Hoverrounds!! Might even get Medicaid to pay for it!:laughing:

So maybe we should revive this idea...Do a Lil' Market research on the demand for a Titanium Scoop??.... Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes the concept and maybe voidere a pricepoint??....

Anybody interested in buying a titanium scoop? What would be a fair price that the Market would accept? $100 above standard issue? Titanium is hard to work with...a guy would have to really know his metallurgy to get those holes punched out, let alone fab it up and weld it? .. Discuss...:?:.

Last edited:
A coulpla years back, Chuck was thinking about making a Titanium scoop! Super light but STRONG! There was some Forum chatter, Yes,...We are not the Athletic Steel driving Men we once were....But what we now lack in strength we may have the means to pay for comfort!....Like hearing aids and reading glasses and Hoverrounds!! Might even get Medicaid to pay for it!:laughing:

So maybe we should revive this idea...Do a Lil' Market research on the demand for a Titanium Scoop??.... Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes the concept and maybe voidere a pricepoint??....

Anybody interested in buying a titanium scoop? What would be a fair price that the Market would accept? $100 above standard issue? Titanium is hard to work with...a guy would have to really know his metallurgy to get those holes punched out, let alone fab it up and weld it? .. Discuss...:?:.

A good chunk can be made in a 3d printer.. at a phenomenal price. A "working" scoop can be bought off feebay for $30 that weighs a few ounces more.
Titanium would be a very small tight market. Aka a dead end

I use the large t-rex as it makes it easier to get the target in the water. I tried a smaller scoop that worked well on the sand but it was in my opinion inadequate for use in the water especially when the water is moving and so murky that you can not see your coil.

Same here, Stealth in wet and smaller scoop for dry sand

A good chunk can be made in a 3d printer.. at a phenomenal price. A "working" scoop can be bought off feebay for $30 that weighs a few ounces more.
Titanium would be a very small tight market. Aka a dead end

The concept is, at a certain point, Old guys dont care so much about spending money in ratio to comfort and living the dream for one more season of treasure hunting.....plus, bragging about owning a Titanium scoop? Even if a guy never gets it out to hunt? Thats worth $50 alone! My point is, Old guys will pay a premium for Titanium anything! Like hip sockets and kneecaps! Marketing!

Based on the number of people on the forums that I see buying every new latest greatest detector that comes out, I can see that a small run would sell out no problem.
Not saying all of them would ever be scuffed on sand tho.

There just isn't anything much lighter out there than a 720. My buddy that has one of those Ukraine Stavr knockoffs that I have used is lighter than my Stealth - but only because its a smaller scoop. (I actually wouldn't mind getting one of those). I was falling apart as well and that is why I bought the 720 and the CF handle. ...
stavr scoop no less! it is just a little different, v.33 its width is 1 inch longer than the sun spot 720, the length and volume of the back basket is slightly less (but this corresponds to its concept and technical solution, by the way ahead of similar decisions from the United States for 3-4 years).

In 2012 (2) titanium scoops cost me 400.oo, thats material, water jetting, labor. Now I bet it would cost 400 each..unless Ti has come down in price.

I still use one Titanium along with Two SS 720's, my opinion.... titanium is a waste of money. If it brakes its a throw away, SS you can weld yourself. Or get it welded for free from chuck or 25 dollars down the street.

Attachments

• OBN-0006.jpg
    OBN-0006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 134
In 2012 (2) titanium scoops cost me 400.oo, thats material, water jetting, labor. Now I bet it would cost 400 each..unless Ti has come down in price.

I still use one Titanium along with Two SS 720's, my opinion.... titanium is a waste of money. If it brakes its a throw away, SS you can weld yourself. Or get it welded for free from chuck or 25 dollars down the street.

Have any photos of that titanium scoop laying around.. welds and pressure points, etc . I might look into it and see what 3d would run.. time permitting

OK..but is the Titanium scoop LIGHTER than the SS? By how much? Thats the issue the OP queried! Sure, we know you can bust up a perfectly good scoop! ...But some guys working sand and small gravel are looking for the lightest and most expensivest that is also the strongest!:laughing: Another question, have you been able to break your Ti scoop yet? Bend the lip? Cave in the back with a mighty stomp?

There's no welds on that scoop, it's designed that way..

<°)))>{

Same with my 'Prototype' scoop concept...no welds really needed, all pieces support each other and is either keyholed or dovetailed...even the handle has a support structure role..all forces distributed throughout the entire rig.....I did hit it with a welder, but its really not necessary, all tightened up and still going strong...Its just a cheap aluminum ice scoop and whatnot scrap, but man, its made me some money...I bet a guy could use this concept for a Ti scoop...

Attachments

• scoop 1.jpg
    scoop 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 119
  • scoop 2.jpg
    scoop 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 118
  • scoop 3.jpg
    scoop 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 120
  • scoop 4.jpg
    scoop 4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 119
  • scoop 5.jpg
    scoop 5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 118
Mud, that thing has served you so well..

I've always admired what you did, and got done with that rig!!

<°)))>{

Right? I would think theres a market for a Mfg to design a Ti scoop that ships broken down into sections that an EU would simply assemble with no welding involved?...Like Origami! You get the parts in a flat shipping box and simply put them together?! Talk about a Travel Scoop! Ships flat in a manilla envelope!! Weighs less than a pound!

This should be very easy to do out of Ti what with waterjets and laser cutting and all..a guy can get the U bolts and a handle locally...:?:. a guy could also change the bucket holes in field depending on the substrate matrix and finds..with just a simple wrench...swap out the bottom from 7/16" to 1/4" holes...Change the scoop size or handle degree even! .I'm on to something really big here! I want the royalties! I think a lot, about all sorts of things...:laughing:

I use the large t-rex as it makes it easier to get the target in the water. I tried a smaller scoop that worked well on the sand but it was in my opinion inadequate for use in the water especially when the water is moving and so murky that you can not see your coil.

X2 - in the surf there is a lot of moving sand and the big scoop seems to work well to get down to the target. Water hunting is a ton of work and the wet sand will wear you out!!!

In the dry sand practically anything will work so definitely trade out the monster for something smaller/lighter....

GL & HH

Back
Top Bottom