Is the Makro racer 1 any good on the beach?

Land

Machines not recommended at the beach, i have a GT with extra's , would say that is the minimum for the wet sand including a environmental cover to keep the salt spray off the unit, waterproof at least dual frequency, machines recommended , dry sand - land detectors can pass , as long as the salt air doesn't do it in , on long haul, this is why most all, including I, prefer land machines for land, waterproof machines for water, no way to get around it, you will put out double, or triple the cost , for beach-water hunting for equipment , happy hunting, Earl PS Craig there has been a lot of member's most recently inquiring on question's Will certain land machine's work on the beach-wet-water -ECT, so we don't have to explain the water hunting requirement's on equipment , it would be nice for all of us to have a ( MINIMUM EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENT INFORMATION THREAD FOR BEACH HUNTING ) this would eliminate thread's generated by wannabee- new bee threads by beach hunting seeker's , before Craig respond's everybody else( Beach Water Hunters) can Chime in :imo::my2cents:

.. Craig there has been a lot of member's most recently inquiring on question's Will certain land machine's work on the beach-wet-water -ECT, so we don't have to explain the water hunting requirement's on equipment , it would be nice for all of us to have a ( MINIMUM EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENT INFORMATION THREAD FOR BEACH HUNTING ) this would eliminate thread's generated by wannabee- new bee threads by beach hunting seeker's , before Craig respond's everybody else( Beach Water Hunters) can Chime in :imo::my2cents:
I got ya....see below

Need to find another detector!
I would like some input from those of you have been hunting with the Makro Racer 1 on the wetsand.
How is it depth wise?
Makro makes some nice advertisements and debatable claims. Then again, many company over sensationalize their detectors capabilities. With that said....

In short, any detector will work in the dry sand. Getting detectors to work in the wet salt sand or submerged in salt water is the challenge that becomes expensive.

Single frequency detectors (Makro) will work in the wet salt sand by decreasing the sensitivity. This means you'll lose depth and/or sensitivity to small targets. Additionally, it is common for these detectors to give random erroneous signals and endless noisy chatter.

Multi-frequency detectors will compensate for the conductive salt and mineralization without losing depth and sensitivity. The benefit is they (usually) are quiet and give an honest signal, if it beeps, there is something there. M/F detectors consequently cost more and the price goes up if you want them waterproof. The main advantage to a M/F detector is that you can discriminate unwanted targets like iron. This means you can cherry pick targets and make the most use of limited time.

PI or pulse induction detectors are the cost efficient alternative to MF detectors. They work great in salt water, but the caveat is they do not discriminate (well).

Multifrequency detectors would include the following:

Fisher:
CZ-3d (older models were the CZ-5 and CZ-6) not waterproof
CZ-7, 7a, 7apro & 70 (all are older models that are splash proof)
CZ-21 (older model is the 20) completely waterproof

Minelab
Safari (older model was the Quattro) not waterproof
Explorer (all are older models... X, XS, II, Se, & SePro) not waterproof
Sovereign (older model not waterproof)
E-trac (not waterproof)
Excallibur (waterproof)
CTX-3030 (waterproof)

Whites -
Beach Hunter ID (waterproof)
DFX (not waterproof)
VXi and variants (not waterproof)

PI units...
Garrett Sea hunter, Infinium, ATX
Tesoro Sand Shark
Aquasound/pulse
JW Fisher
Fisher Impulse
Whites surf pi, T1000
Minelab GP series
Detectorpro pulse (note: only the pulse model, not the diver, wader, or pirate)

That should get you going ..... be sure to ask forum sponsors about special pricing or preowned models. It's much better to get a good used machine than a so-so new machine!

Last edited:
Keywords "those of you have been"...with the Makro R1.

But thanks for the condescending unsolicited advice. :laughing::laughing:

15 minutes at Jacksonville Beach and I wanted to wrap it around a tree. It was no different than an AT Pro. It has to be detuned to avoid chatter and falsing or you somehow learn to cope with the sounds.....most of which are erroneous.

....or....you buy a MF machine and never worry about all that nonsense.

Keywords "those of you have been"...with the Makro R1.

But thanks for the condescending unsolicited advice. :laughing::laughing:

On the dry sand, wait, dry sand without black mineral deposits, it works just as good as an ATP, F70 or any other machine with a similiar size coil.....unless you have a machine with a boost mode or something like the Excal that increases depth when I flip to all metal or P/P.

Never had my Racer 1 on a salt beach. Had my Racer 2 on a salt beach and it ran very well. Very stable and ran quiet. Special mode for ground balancing to low numbers. Do not believe everything you read about single frequency detectors. Makro has changed the game.

I wont talk anyone out of buying a machine they want..... especially if its more for dirt digging. But...... single freq machines just arent nearly as good as MF near the water. As far as running smooth....... a T/R unit running at 14kHz runs smooth IN the salt water.......but looses a huge amount of depth on a hard bottom... with black sand and you never know the difference because you keep picking up shallow targets.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom