Snapped a Stealth U-bolt!

clearwatermike

Elite Member
It happened about halfway into a four-hour hunt, so I had to dig very gingerly since the scoop was holding on by the one remaining bolt! I've had the scoop at least six years. The scoop and handle look great because I rinse it obsessively and keep a good coat of polyurethane on the handle. Somehow, though, corrosion worked its way through that u-bolt. I was glad to see the replacement from Ace was a bit heftier, but still fit through the mounting holes.

Attachments

• IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 234
It happened about halfway into a four-hour hunt, so I had to dig very gingerly since the scoop was holding on by the one remaining bolt! I've had the scoop at least six years. The scoop and handle look great because I rinse it obsessively and keep a good coat of polyurethane on the handle. Somehow, though, corrosion worked its way through that u-bolt. I was glad to see the replacement from Ace was a bit heftier, but still fit through the mounting holes.
About two weeks ago i had the same thing happen to my 4-5 year old scoop....but heres the thing, even though it wasnt really a scoop issue (has a lifetime warranty), Sunspot sent me a replacement at no charge.

I swear there isnt a better scoop company out there. Respect!

4cf8203a7ab400fbc53517c624a8297b.jpg

40971020163d914988ece4071e2a4b1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Electrolysis isn't just for cleaning our finds.. It happens, with metal in water, some faster some slower..

If you run a couple zinc nuts on top of your stainless it won't happen again... Boats and ships use zinc anodes for the same reason.. It does very strange, sometimes hidden things to metals.. The zinc becomes what is often referred to as the "sacrificial"... In many cases the anodes get replaced as they decay too much..

<°)))>{

Electrolysis isn't just for cleaning our finds.. It happens, with metal in water, some faster some slower..

If you run a couple zinc nuts on top of your stainless it won't happen again... Boats and ships use zinc anodes for the same reason.. It does very strange, sometimes hidden things to metals.. The zinc becomes what is often referred to as the "sacrificial"... In many cases the anodes get replaced as they decay too much..

<°)))>{

Very interesting! Going to have to try that! :hi5:

Very interesting! Going to have to try that! :hi5:

To be clear, the zinc nut does not replace any stainless nut, its just extra.. You might even want to round them off some because it will protect you from the bolt too..

Acorn nuts would be ideal, if you can find them..

<°)))>{

When ever you replace a bolt or nut on a stainless steel scoop USE A STAINLESS STEEL replacement part. NOT a plated part. Using dissimilar metals will set up electrolysis (especially in salt water) that will "eat" up the none stainless steel part. stainless steel cost more, but well worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom