Which coil for the Excal II?

stewart73

Forum Supporter
Warranty is up on my Excal so changing out the headphones and also considering another coil. The three I'm considering all seem to have their pros and cons but I wanted to hear from people that have actually used them:

Sunray S-12 (nice and light but hard to find someone who stocks them)

10X12 SEF

Coiltek All Terrain WOT 15" (maybe a bit too heavy? pricey too)

Any opinions on how any of these coils perform compared to the stock 10" Tornado? I'm just looking for a little extra depth and more ground coverage.

Thanks! :cool:

What no 13"? IMO the SEF maybe the better choice even that you will have to turn down the sensitivity and we all know the larger you go the less sensitive to tiny targets. Not a bad thing, if you are looking for deeper heavier gold thou. They are heavy and a LOT to push around in the shallow water. If you have a lot of current in your water..... man its work and could cut your hunting time down. PPing is easy.... right off the tip. It is deeper and does cover more ground. The WOT to me is a little to large, PPing is more difficult and you will have to turn down the sensitivity.

Dew

Stewart... fsa46 (Frank) has the SEF 10x12 and says its deeper than the 10" Tornado and is very stable... his friends also run the 10x12 and have recently purchased the Ultimate 13" from KC and are hunting the same area's they hunted with the 10x12 and are finding more deeper goodies...

I know here in CT the S-12 and WOT struggle on the wet sand when I say struggle I mean they chirp quite a bit... I think Al in NJ found the same thing with those coils... your beaches may be different.

DRY/ Wet Sand - WOT
Knee Deep - S12
Anything over that 10" or smaller

The 12 is nice, but does have resistance in the water.

I have the s12 on my excal and bought one for my GT. I also run the WOT on my GT. I wouldn't put anything larger than the 12 on an excal.

15" WOT is for real young guys. In the water it is gonna kill your arm. 12"x10" swings decent in the water. Has good iron separation on my other machines. Can swing it for hours on my Whites machines. 15"x12" SEF was too big. I had the one Frank sold on my Sov GT and I also got rid of it. You pretty much have to drag a scoop behind you as a counter balance. Got to get it in front of your feet to walk. So you have to have it fully extended. I got rid of all my 15" coils. Think about how far out in front you have to have that WOT to walk before buying one:D

15" WOT is for real young guys. In the water it is gonna kill your arm. 12"x10" swings decent in the water. Has good iron separation on my other machines. Can swing it for hours on my Whites machines. 15"x12" SEF was too big. I had the one Frank sold on my Sov GT and I also got rid of it. You pretty much have to drag a scoop behind you as a counter balance. Got to get it in front of your feet to walk. So you have to have it fully extended. I got rid of all my 15" coils. Think about how far out in front you have to have that WOT to walk before buying one:D

Remember your rotator cuff Larry :lol:

My opinion, I like the 10 with a good set of headphones and hunting in PP with the sensitivity cranked. If you have a couple Excalibur's It is nice to have the big coil for those days when you want to cover lots of terra, but it really limits that machine to certain conditions. Good Luck Stewart, GGA's should be there late this week.....

One more thing about the larger coils..... they do have a MUCH wider coil halo than the 10". Get that scoop to close and you know it.

Dew

One more thing about the larger coils..... they do have a MUCH wider coil halo than the 10". Get that scoop to close and you know it.

Dew

Actually that's a good point...I already have to sort of carry my scoop behind my back even with the 10" or else it's whining in complaint. :lol:

^^ He pawned both of his 12x15 coils off on me... but I love them! :D They are kinda heavy though.

You will hate trying to swing a large coil through the water for hours though, especially if you have a lot of strong currents. I use mine for dry/wet.

The 10" round on my CZ is about as big as I would want in the water.

^^ He pawned both of his 12x15 coils off on me... but I love them! :D They are kinda heavy though.

You will hate trying to swing a large coil through the water for hours though, especially if you have a lot of strong currents. I use mine for dry/wet.

The 10" round on my CZ is about as big as I would want in the water.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a 12X10 SEF would be a beast to swing in the water? By the way, your avatar gives me nightmares. :lol:

The 10x12 would be right on the edge of what I would want to swing in the water, but we have very high water movement around here. If I was in Florida with calm water, bigger wouldn't be as big of a deal. I think the 10x12 would be fine.

One thing to keep in mind, the new SEF coils seem to have thinner more squared cables, which may give you trouble when trying to seal the waterproof connections, but wouldn't be too much trouble I guess. The older SEFs seem to have to normal stiff round cables.

The Sunray 12 on the GT is superior to the 10" Tornado on MY beaches. I have heard up north near Craig they are not as good. I hunt Florida sand it is lighter, deeper and more sensitive than the stock coil. It is also more stable going into and out of the water. Not sure if you can run it on the Excal but it will still allow you to water hunt. The WOT coils are heavy and no way are you going to swing that in the water long. I have not used the 10X12 SEF but hear it is a great coil. JMO, good luck.
Warranty is up on my Excal so changing out the headphones and also considering another coil. The three I'm considering all seem to have their pros and cons but I wanted to hear from people that have actually used them:

Sunray S-12 (nice and light but hard to find someone who stocks them)

10X12 SEF

Coiltek All Terrain WOT 15" (maybe a bit too heavy? pricey too)

Any opinions on how any of these coils perform compared to the stock 10" Tornado? I'm just looking for a little extra depth and more ground coverage.

Thanks! :cool:

I know a guy that hunts with the WOT.... about any of the larger coils swing ok in the deeper water..... get them in that knee deep and you are going to feel it the next day. Long term..... i bet it would lead to some kind of health issue if you put in a lot of hours.

I always get a bit of a chuckle when someone says just move the coil slow out there..... like you have a choice in most locations.

Dew

Mmmmmm

I have to send one of my Xcal 2s in ,I think there is a hair line crack in the bottom of the coil which was replaced 2 year's ago, I would like to try the Sef 10x12 on it , but I have know body to wire it, since OBN is going out of business :( I am sure that coil would be better than that fragile 10 slimline tornado howboutit

SEF 10 x 12 if you only have one,,,,,,I DO like my 8" on my blue though,,,,days when it is rough with a lot of current, I can actually cover more ground than my 10",,,,it also gives me target separation and some of the beaches I hunt are trashy and it helps,,,,,plus, it is more sensitive to gold,,,,GL HH

Good thread Stewart, good to see how a larger coil works in Japan.
For me the stock 10" is big enough and happy with the depth think a larger coil would cut my hunting time in half though, am thinking about getting another Excal with an 8" coil for those real trashy areas. :yes:

Just got a ridiculously good price on a 10x12 SEF direct from Detech in Bulgaria....sometimes not having a dealer near by is a good thing! :lol:

(They couldn't have sent it otherwise)

Back
Top Bottom