Really Need some help with ACE 250

NHhunter

I posted a long thread in the mind blowing finds forum and I need some help. I found a GREAT place to search but the problem is there is a ton of random metal everywhere. I tried going from coins only, to relics, to all metal (which was insane..every 6 inches the thing went nuts.). I'm heading back there tomorrow but would love some advice from fellow users about how to proceed. I would hit a signal for a coin 4inches down, dig and dig and come up with nothing. Pt the coil in the hole and ding ding...it goes nuts again saying 6 inches.

I know it's becasue I am very green when it comes to using this detector (actually any detector really). Just wondering what mode I should try to operate in. Times like these I really wish I had a pinpointer...next on my list!

Any tips, advice would be great.

Put it in Jewelry Mode with 3-4 bars and dig ALL the high tones. Yeah, you are gonna dig a LOT of junk, but it comes with the game! Discriminate from the nickel on up!! HH!!! :D

When you say you get a coin signal, is it a repeatable signal from both directions of the swing? Non-repeatable swings are normally junk. The All Metal mode has three different tones. Are you ignoring the low (relic-type) tones? The more you use the ACE 250, the more you will learn by experience what not to dig.

The mode used depends on what you're after. At a new location, All Metal would be fine, or use the Custom mode and notch out what you don't want to hear, and your settings will be saved for that mode. Coins or Jewelry modes are fine for those areas where items aren't deeply buried, as at playgrounds, volleyball courts, etc. You eventually could use a pinpointer as it's a necessity to quickly find a target in the dirt.

Sounds like a place Jimbog and I hunted Saturday. There is junk metal ALL over the place and all we could get was junk metal signals. Jimbog used a whites spectral and I used the ACE and neither of us had any luck. Maybe after I go out and clean some of the metal up we will return and see what we can find but don't think right now we will find anything but junk. Just look at the controls and if it jumps around change angles and if it still jumps pass on it.

I have an Ace 250 and it doesn't do well in those type of places. I usually just leave and try to find a better place. For instance, my yard is just loaded with stuff. I've pulled some good stuff out of there but for most the part it's impossible to detect with the Ace.

Put your sensitivity at 3 or 4 bars and SLOW your swing speed down...this helps a lot. For these types of places the small sniper coil is almost essential but if you have patience you can do ok with the stock 6X9. Dig only the solid repeatable signals that repeat the same in any direction. All the other advice given is great too.

I posted a long thread in the mind blowing finds forum and I need some help. I found a GREAT place to search but the problem is there is a ton of random metal everywhere. I tried going from coins only, to relics, to all metal (which was insane..every 6 inches the thing went nuts.). I'm heading back there tomorrow but would love some advice from fellow users about how to proceed. I would hit a signal for a coin 4inches down, dig and dig and come up with nothing. Pt the coil in the hole and ding ding...it goes nuts again saying 6 inches.

I know it's becasue I am very green when it comes to using this detector (actually any detector really). Just wondering what mode I should try to operate in. Times like these I really wish I had a pinpointer...next on my list!

Any tips, advice would be great.

Good advice by everyone. I've seen the signals you describe that keep showing up 6 inches down. They've been from multiple hits usually where one or more is large and deep. I dug one that said 6 inches the other day, found a small metal disc (junk) at 6 inches but still got the signal at the hole. I dug down 3 more inches and found a bent piece of rebar that was a good foot long slanting downward.

The best advise you've gotten today is to listen to the tones, if they come through as the higher pitch with your machine set on jewerly or coins then you bite the bullet and dig em out.

Bill

:goodluck:

I usually decide to hunt for coins only in places like that so I keep it in coin mode. You may miss some goodies but at some point , usually after tons of aggrivation , you come to the realization that you can dig junk and missing targets all day and possibly go home with nothing or you can stay in coin mode and have a decent shot as well as more time to walk away with some coins in your pocket. Even when some of the junk metal reads as coins there is many times a difference in the sound of the ding and the length of time that the coin indicator on the graph remains under that particular symbol. Most of the time a coin rings sharp and crisp and if not too deep you will get multiple tones with each pass. If its a "good" coin signal the indicator will normally stay under the particular coin symbol a little longer before clearing or jumping to another symbol and then clearing.

Back
Top Bottom