100 y/o Railroad logging camp....Wa State

Wow, a lot of men running around with their pants falling down. :lol: Cool site and neat finds.

Foiled

Ha!
Crazy...huh?
I estimate between 70-85 men lost their extra set of clothes when a fire ripped through a row of bunkhouses...most everything seen in these pics went through a fire...the camp had fire hydrants, but it was a huge loss for the men

Amazing finds. That hammer must weigh a lot to stamp a fresh cut timber. I live in a town that the Erie cannel was started in Canastota NY. That just jumped started my 2015 season of detecting. The museum in in the town. I will check out to try to find the camps for it.

This stamp has to be at least five pounds...I read that on a cold calm morning you could hear the ring of a experienced log stamp hammerman for quite the distance.

Those are some great recoveries.I'm here in lynwood wa.gonna keep lookout for those old camps.

Those are some great recoveries.I'm here in lynwood wa.gonna keep lookout for those old camps.

Check out old publications of "The Timberman" online...look for local camps and check out "fire report" to get tips on camps that might have had a fire...lots of goodies could be in all those nails. Most camp buildings in a railroad camp would have been loaded on the train and moved to the nexnt camp. Nails and debris is a good sign to dig in a logging camp.

With 70-85 men in the logging camp, you must have found a ton of tools used by them. It would be interesting to see photos of those relics.

With 70-85 men in the logging camp, you must have found a ton of tools used by them. It would be interesting to see photos of those relics.
1 -stamp hammer
12 -double bit axe blades (one marked, in pic with I.D. tokens)
6 -crosscut saw blades (mostly broken and rusted).
6. -shovel heads (could be past diggers)
1 -pike
Tons of saw files
20 -bottle openers
1 -can opener
6 -pocket knives
3 -button hook
1 -bronze bearing piece (in photo)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 176
Bronze metal bearing? circular wear, looks like it broke off of some machinery. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 162
I can't say for sure. Something rubbed on it in a circular pattern, you can see the wear starting to slip until it finally broke. Had it tested and it is bronze.

Back
Top Bottom