Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 PM
critik critik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Posts: 161
Default Serious Garrett EMI chatter. Won't go above 3 sensitivity.|SOLVED|

So on a brand new Garrett AT Pro I can not go above three sensitivity with out me getting EMI. And the higher I go the worse it gets it does not matter where I am it still happens. And what I need to know is if it is common with these stock coils to have problems like this. It chatter while I am holding it completely still in mid air.

It can not be the box right? This may sound dumb but when the coil is not plugged in it does it have any problems lol.

I wish I had another coil to plug to it. But if anyone knows about this type of problem being the coil or box help me out. Also I have tried everything with changing settings.


[FAULTY COIL WAS THE ISSUE]

__________________
2017 Totals:-Gold: 2|Silvers: 5|Sterling Silv: 2|Rosie's: 4|Merc's: 1|Barb Dime: 0|Seated Dime: 0|Buffs: 3|V-Nickel: 1|Injun's: 0|Wheats: 55|Civil War Relics: 1|Buttons: 5|Garret AT Pro|BH tracker IV|Carrot


Last edited by critik; 05-29-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Solved
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
pigEye's Avatar
pigEye pigEye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Merica
Posts: 351
Default

Are you sure you have the coil fully plugged in? The ATP is notorious for being very difficult to properly seat the coil plug.

__________________
Minelab Etrac - Pro Pointer AT!

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:11 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 7,872
Default

Something is not right,I run full sensitivity with no falsing at all.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro,Ace 250.Minelab Sov Elite! Soon enough Minelab Equinox!!!!
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!Arrrr! John 14:6.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:18 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 2,439
Default

This may be a silly question but was it ground balanced?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | XP DĒUS | GARRETT ATPRO | PRO-POINTER AT | MI-6

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:59 PM
CJ319's Avatar
CJ319 CJ319 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 248
Default

I had that exact same issue when I bought my first Garrett. Turned out the coil was not connected to the main unit all the way.

__________________
Garrett AT Gold/ Oldest coin 1806 King George III

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 AM
critik critik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
Something is not right,I run full sensitivity with no falsing at all.
Originally Posted by pigEye View post
Are you sure you have the coil fully plugged in? The ATP is notorious for being very difficult to properly seat the coil plug.
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
This may be a silly question but was it ground balanced?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by CJ319 View post
I had that exact same issue when I bought my first Garrett. Turned out the coil was not connected to the main unit all the way.
Faulty coil solved. I see this problem all the time tho people need to know it's def most likely the coil if you tried everything else to solve it and failed

__________________
2017 Totals:-Gold: 2|Silvers: 5|Sterling Silv: 2|Rosie's: 4|Merc's: 1|Barb Dime: 0|Seated Dime: 0|Buffs: 3|V-Nickel: 1|Injun's: 0|Wheats: 55|Civil War Relics: 1|Buttons: 5|Garret AT Pro|BH tracker IV|Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-29-2017, 12:20 PM
jaybirdhgr jaybirdhgr is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 116
Default

I run full sensitivity most of the time and my ATPro had been working w/o any chatter at all. It recently started lots of chatter at the 3 highest sensitivity settings and I thought it might be the 5x8 coil since I've had it quite a while and it had a cut in the cable down close to the coil. I have 2 other coils (the stock Garrett and the NEL Attack) and each one of them was chatty also. Tried all the usual fixes (new batts, re-tighten connections, change frequencies, etc.) and nothing worked. This is my second ATPro and the unit was still under warranty. I called Garrett and they asked me to send it back along with the 2 Garrett coils.

Turns out there was something wrong with the unit and they repaired that. I don't know if the coils were also a problem, but they sent back 2 brand new coils (stock and 5x8). They also cleaned up the housing on the unit and replaced the faceplate. Garrett tossed in some freebies and got the unit back to me in just a few days. I was out the shipping cost, but very satisfied with their service.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:07 AM
critik critik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by jaybirdhgr View post
I run full sensitivity most of the time and my ATPro had been working w/o any chatter at all. It recently started lots of chatter at the 3 highest sensitivity settings and I thought it might be the 5x8 coil since I've had it quite a while and it had a cut in the cable down close to the coil. I have 2 other coils (the stock Garrett and the NEL Attack) and each one of them was chatty also. Tried all the usual fixes (new batts, re-tighten connections, change frequencies, etc.) and nothing worked. This is my second ATPro and the unit was still under warranty. I called Garrett and they asked me to send it back along with the 2 Garrett coils.

Turns out there was something wrong with the unit and they repaired that. I don't know if the coils were also a problem, but they sent back 2 brand new coils (stock and 5x8). They also cleaned up the housing on the unit and replaced the faceplate. Garrett tossed in some freebies and got the unit back to me in just a few days. I was out the shipping cost, but very satisfied with their service.
Strange. How much is shipping?

__________________
2017 Totals:-Gold: 2|Silvers: 5|Sterling Silv: 2|Rosie's: 4|Merc's: 1|Barb Dime: 0|Seated Dime: 0|Buffs: 3|V-Nickel: 1|Injun's: 0|Wheats: 55|Civil War Relics: 1|Buttons: 5|Garret AT Pro|BH tracker IV|Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:23 PM
007tallguy's Avatar
007tallguy 007tallguy is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada, eh.
Posts: 7,304
Default

Glad to hear you've got the problem straightened out. I know those electric dog fences will make some awful noise too!

__________________
AT Pro, Ace 250 totals for '17: 2 x 10k gold, 1 silver ring, $59.42

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.