• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Key Largo?

Perilin

Does anyone know the regulations for hunting there? I'd be planning to detect along the water line and to knee depth.

I don't know if you'd have any problems in Miami but as soon as you get on the Keys my guess is it'd be a no-no. The Keys marine police, Coast Guard etc are very, very sensitive about any disturbance to the coast line ecosystem. Definitely check with authorities before you dig. The fines are hefty and those guys have no sense of humor. Pleading tourist ignorance won't cut it. Definitely check on each Key for their regs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $500 fine, no excuses.

I don't know if you'd have any problems in Miami but as soon as you get on the Keys my guess is it'd be a no-no. The Keys marine police, Coast Guard etc are very, very sensitive about any disturbance to the coast line ecosystem. Definitely check with authorities before you dig. The fines are hefty and those guys have no sense of humor. Pleading tourist ignorance won't cut it. Definitely check on each Key for their regs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $500 fine, no excuses.

flyguy784, I just did a google search on "key Largo" + "metal detecting" + "legal". And I found multiple posts, from various md'ing forums, of people who detect there. How can that be ? So why must a person grovel ? Know anyone (links?) who got a "$500 fine" there ?

As for ecosystem and not bothering sea turtles or dune vegetation: There are scores of beaches in the USA (heck, probably all of them) that have their share of nature-police and dire-sounding "don't disturb the sandcrabs" verbiage. This does not automatically necessarily equate to "no md'ing" and "must grovel" though.

flyguy784, I just did a google search on "key Largo" + "metal detecting" + "legal". And I found multiple posts, from various md'ing forums, of people who detect there. How can that be ? So why must a person grovel ? Know anyone (links?) who got a "$500 fine" there ?

As for ecosystem and not bothering sea turtles or dune vegetation: There are scores of beaches in the USA (heck, probably all of them) that have their share of nature-police and dire-sounding "don't disturb the sandcrabs" verbiage. This does not automatically necessarily equate to "no md'ing" and "must grovel" though.

That's why I said check each key. They really don't have dunes in the keys, hardly any sand even, and their not worried about sea turtles. On the fines, no, no first hand knowledge of a guy getting fined for detecting. I've seen a guy get a $300 fine for an anchor drag and know of several who got huge fines for prop scars. Their trying to get the near shore vegetation to come back. Over the years, the flats have been beat up bad. Many near shore flats are out of bounds now. I travel to fish down there every year and have for 40 years, I've seen a lot of guys get booted off of certain flats.

Just check is all I'm saying. Hate to see the guy get a bad supri$e.

Marathon has a sandy beach, might be worth trying there. Gotta check though, they have a small population of Burrowing Owls that nest there. Not sure about along the water line though.

... Just check is all I'm saying.....

ok, sure. And for us md'rs to "check" can be to look up the laws/rules for ourselves. To see if there's any chapter & verse that says "no md'ing". If not , then it's not prohibited. Or to check with the local md'rs (show & tell, past posts, etc...) to see if other md'rs are md'ing there w/o issue. If so, that would indicate "no problems" to me . Ie.: When in Rome, do as the Romans. :roll:

No need to ask a desk-jockey, who could pass your question on to a bored archie , blah blah .

Back
Top Bottom