West Virginia Hunter Advice/ Ideas???

wvdave107

Elite Member
Been hunting since this past July. Absolutely eaten up with this hobby!!! Like everyone new and old to the hobby I've tried doing research on locations and areas to hunt. Admittedly, I feel I've come up a bit short. I've looked at all online locations and map sites, google, google earth, Bing, etc. This has helped some, but not like I anticipated. Anyone from WV, or anywhere else for that matter, have any suggestions. I've thought about going to the state museum and poking around. Would really like to find some older maps of the surrounding counties to see what I can see. Even books and older articles could be helpful. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse with this post, but any info is greatly appreciated. Also, if you're from WV and would like to get together and do some diggin' just shout. Thanks to all....HH

What ever kind of places you learn of at the museum or on google, you are still going to have to ask permission for from who ever owns the property now.

If you want old houses, you can find the age of houses by looking at online real estate ads which usually has the year built. Then go to that house before someone buys it and ask the seller if it's okay to MD since they're selling it anyway. If nobody answers the door or appears to be living there, then you have to wait till someone buys it and ask if you can metal detect there.

Many new houses are built over the locations of old houses so there is the potential for good finds on newer places. Often they leave the old sandstones laying about as ornaments or as a fence. I looked at one place on an aireal (sp) map and it showed a house being there in 1920 but when I went there it looked like the house was built in the 60's. Looking around though, you could see remains of an old house nearby. People place mobile homes where old homes used to be. A good site 100 years ago is a good site today, some level space and out of flood zones.

Good luck to you.

The city of Charleston and surrounding areas are eat up with old homes. Go knock on some doors. All they can do is say NO Its illegal for them to kill and eat you. I wish I was in an area with as many old homes.

The city of Charleston and surrounding areas are eat up with old homes. Go knock on some doors. All they can do is say NO Its illegal for them to kill and eat you. I wish I was in an area with as many old homes.

There is a lot of older homes in the area. I plan on doing some door knocking when the weather warms some....LOL don't want to dig in someone's frozen yard..LOL

.... I've thought about going to the state museum and poking around. ...

My advice is: Don't just only hit those museum people up for tips and resources. Instead BECOME A PART of the museums. Docent your time (they are usually always begging for volunteers). Attend historical society and museum meetings. Be a fly on-the-wall for a year while you get to know others there @ a first-name basis. Docenting typically requires 6 hrs. p/month time, for example. Doing things like manning a desk. Or sorting files for archiving, etc....

Once you are "on the inside" of the system, you will get carte-blanche to backroom archives that are not always easily available to the public. And if any of the museum people are archie-mindset, they might "drop their guard" if they're talking to a fellow museum worker (some can become "tight-lipped" if they sense your an md'r otherwise).

Also by having a museum credential badge, it gives you credibility when seeking permission at odd-ball places. Eg.: you're "doing research for an article you're writing" blah blah. Thus simply being a docent opens doors to cool places.

My advice is: Don't just only hit those museum people up for tips and resources. Instead BECOME A PART of the museums. Docent your time (they are usually always begging for volunteers). Attend historical society and museum meetings. Be a fly on-the-wall for a year while you get to know others there @ a first-name basis. Docenting typically requires 6 hrs. p/month time, for example. Doing things like manning a desk. Or sorting files for archiving, etc....

Once you are "on the inside" of the system, you will get carte-blanche to backroom archives that are not always easily available to the public. And if any of the museum people are archie-mindset, they might "drop their guard" if they're talking to a fellow museum worker (some can become "tight-lipped" if they sense your an md'r otherwise).

Also by having a museum credential badge, it gives you credibility when seeking permission at odd-ball places. Eg.: you're "doing research for an article you're writing" blah blah. Thus simply being a docent opens doors to cool places.

Excellent point, Tom. I would love nothing more than to do just that. As soon as I get some free time from work I plan to hit them up. I love history, especially local history. I have a minor in American History and love West Virginia. Our state has a very colorful past.

Not sure What part of WV your in but like mentioned above look for the old stones in the yard. I'm in Kanawha county and people around here seem to leave them as decor. I have done some online research and just like yourself have not found much. Find out where the old timers meet for breakfast or just gossip and get to know them. There full of knowledge of the past. I have found this to be more helpful around here than anything.

Hello from Pennsylvania.Only knowledge I have of WV is a movie I saw called deliverance.Definatly wasn’t a love story.lol..But you guys got some old heritage there,and I’d find some old rock walls in the woods if you can,back in the day farmers made them for boundary lines,you find those and you got miles of treasure.

Been hunting since this past July. Absolutely eaten up with this hobby!!! anywhere else for that matter, have any suggestions. HH

MOVE!:laughing: Well, its a bummer in some areas...you will get it figured out though, if your desire to hunt and succeed is greater than the obstacles...I bet you will be fine...you are doing all the right kind of research and thinking about it, asking questions and advice here.....all you need to locate is one great old farm that held Picnics and races and Revivals/Churchcamps...or a street tearout in an old town...something..."where theres a will, theres a way" right? Keep at it Brother!

MOVE!:laughing: Well, its a bummer in some areas...you will get it figured out though, if your desire to hunt and succeed is greater than the obstacles...I bet you will be fine...you are doing all the right kind of research and thinking about it, asking questions and advice here.....all you need to locate is one great old farm that held Picnics and races and Revivals/Churchcamps...or a street tearout in an old town...something..."where theres a will, theres a way" right? Keep at it Brother!

Absolutely right Mud. I've mentioned before that I've only been at it since July and was only able to hunt about 4 months give or take. Been taking the low hanging fruit so far, local park, parents yard and the neighborhood. Haven't done too bad, a few silvers a lot of clad, keys, trinkets, horseshoe, etc...But I've really got the bug and would like to be ready when the weather breaks and time permits. I need to suck it up and try for some of the older houses by the river where the Confederates and Union had it out in 1862. Some of the places are business now. Thought I'd try to get on there first and see where it leads.

Oh and as far as moving. If all goes well I can retire in just under 5 years...Hope to head south to the coast...Less snow to shovel and it's usually not as cold for so long....LOL

I have a home in WV. I spend two to three weeks a year in in July. And being born and raised in that area ,I always make time to do some relic hunting. Also most of my family are from the Winchestor , and Richmond areas of Va. I can get in touch with you when I get ready to travel and maybe take you out on a civ. hunt .

Back
Top Bottom