• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bringing back finds,

Gms318

Hello All! If i went on a vacation to England and MD, would I be able to keep my finds and bring them back to the states with me?

It would really depend on what you find. Casual drops would be yours but finds of cultural or historic significance belong to the Crown. They "should" compensate you for the value, but that might take time.
If you find a treasure trove or hoard, that definitely belongs to the Crown by British law.

I'm pretty sure England has some strict laws regarding Metal detecting finds that fall into certain parameters of antiquity or value....You might consider doing some research on the laws...

Then of course, what you do with that information is entirely up to you! I would not trust myself in obeying Mans Laws, English or otherwise or offering advice to you...

All I can say...? For sure?

If I went on a MD vaca in England, and I found the Staffordshire Hoard, I'd carefully contemplate the risk reward and all options...then I'd be going through customs at Heathrow about 100lbs heavier than when I showed up!

..When asked if I have anything to declare?...I'd holler, "Yeah! "I declare that All Men are Created Equal! Except the bloody Irish!" ...:laughing: Red carpet treatment straight to the gate!:laughing: A guy has to learn how to work the crowd and behave appropriately when abroad...

Theres regional sensitivities a guy has to be aware of moreso than Laws...Like you dont wear a red bandana in Crip territory, You dont toast Long live the Queen in a Glasgow pub, you always order grits at a Waffle House, and you never wear white after Labor day...

Last edited:
I know a guy who brought back all his coin finds, from field hunting. Including a gold coin that dated to something like 500 AD. Since it was just a handful of coins, He just put them in his luggage for the flight home. So it's no different than any other loose change, I suppose.

They're looking for explosives, drugs, etc... for the flights. I highly doubt anyone is checking through your underwear portion of your luggage, to inspect the dates on coins. But ... perhaps my friend didn't ask enough questions to enough bored archies . :roll:

Back
Top Bottom