This brought me back....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
We old guys will recognize this thing immediately, some born past a certain timeframe might not so let's let them guess.

Felt nostalgic the second I pulled it out of the ground.

Quarter is for scale.

Attachments

• photostudio_1550363732904.jpg
    photostudio_1550363732904.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 406
So, that's what they look like naked. I'd never had the chance to see one "in all it's glory".

Roger

That obviously a speed reloader device for a Webley Vickers 10 shot 347 revolver...

Ring ring...Hello? Sir we have a collect call from "Bob Addababyitzaboi" will you accept the charges? Sorry wrong number, hangs up......Who was that? It was Bob, they had a baby,.... its a boy":laughing:

Its a 'Watson come here I need you' drill bit selector or CW round heel plate? maybe a part out of a pepper mill or a gumball machine?

It wasnt all that long ago a guy could beat to death a person with a household telephone..there was no 911 to call so a person had to make due with the product on hand....the phone and the cord were often used for this purpose of self defense...happened all the time actually....cant do that nowadays with these little things they issue...:laughing:.

Last edited:
So, you're a youngster, huh? LOL!
Nope, it is 3" wide so that would be a huge gun.

Much like pulling up next to someone and giving the old circular ā€œroll down your windowā€ motion...and they look at you like you are having a seizure...

Shows my age...

My parents had a big, black one for decades, I looked at their bill one day and saw there was a small monthly rental fee for that phone that added up over the years.
I told them to give the phone back and we will just go buy a phone...they were afraid.
Like replacing time proven life vests with new ones that have no history.

When I finally got rid of my landline I felt the same, something I had available to me my whole life from the day I was born was just...gone.
Weird.

Much like pulling up next to someone and giving the old circular ā€œroll down your windowā€ motion...and they look at you like you are having a seizure...

So true!! A year or so ago, I dredged up the roller knob off of a car's manual window crank while detecting an old home site...I knew what it was instantly. When I got home, my wife (about 5 years younger than me) needed a small hint, but otherwise realized what it was on her own. But my kids - not only no idea what it was, but they thought I was making it up when I told them!! :laughing:

Anyways, here it is, in the upper right, next to Santa's foot :grin::

Attachments

• FullHunt_1204.jpg
    FullHunt_1204.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 274
And cool find, Digger!! I'm surprised we don't see those dug and/or posted more often...but I know I've never dug one. I wonder how old it might be...you can still buy at least a novelty rotary phone today, but the first telephones with rotary dials were produced by Western Electric in the 1920s, I think:

Attachments

• 51al.jpg
    51al.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 246
  • A1.gif
    A1.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 242
We old guys will recognize this thing immediately, some born past a certain timeframe might not so let's let them guess.

Felt nostalgic the second I pulled it out of the ground.

Quarter is for scale.

AAAHHH. I hated it, when I would pick the wrong one... Then you had to start the process ALLL OVER AGAIN. Click click click click click click... *Sigh*

When I was a kid our phone had a crank on the side and no dial. Every so many years we had to replace the dry cell batteries in it. When my folks passed away my brother took the phone and his widow still has it mounted in her house. It was also on the party line system. We've come a long way baby.

First phone I ever saw was the wooden box that mounted on the wall. Turn the crank a certain number of times for someone who was on your party line. If you wanted to make a long distance call you had to call the operator and have her start the process of pathing the call thru. Need to make a coast to coast call. It could sometimes take hours for a call to be patched thru. Each operator had to call the next operator down the line and get the call patched thru Now we can call anywhere in the world nearly instantly with a device we carry in our pocket.

Back
Top Bottom