I damaged the LCD on my T2 LTD. Need advice

Estima8tor

Elite Member
So a couple of weeks ago I accidentally hit the LCD screen on my T2 LTD with my pinpointer and it left a small area of damaged pixels.
Not a big deal at first but now every time I use the machine the pixel damage grows larger so that now It's getting difficult to read the numbers on the display.
The more I use it the more the damage pixels spread....

IMG_20190209_071243002.jpg

I contacted Teknetics and they won't give me a quote on what the repair cost would be, only that they charge like $55 per hour for repairs.
I really love this machine but I'm worried the repair cost will be almost as much as buying a new machine. I was thinking of getting an F70 or T2 Classic since I can get one of those for under $500. (I don't really like buying used equipment)

Should I buy another machine or take my chances and send this one in for repair?
What would you all do in my situation?

Last edited:
They have a policy of not giving estimates without seeing the machine - they have learned the hard way that that only leads to trouble. They will call you with an estimate after they look at it.

I would expect that repairs (new screen and a check out) would cost less than $200 including shipping back to you. Just a guess, but I have had repairs done by them before and been pleased at the reasonable cost.

I know for a fact that they do not look at their out of warranty repairs as a profit center. It covers its costs and the quality and reasonableness of their service is somenting that they see as a “relationship builder” .

Your machine now is not worth much.

They have a policy of not giving estimates without seeing the machine - they have learned the hard way that that only leads to trouble. They will call you with an estimate after they look at it.

I would expect that repairs (new screen and a check out) would cost less than $200 including shipping back to you. Just a guess, but I have had repairs done by them before and been pleased at the reasonable cost.

I know for a fact that they do not look at their out of warranty repairs as a profit center. It covers its costs and the quality and reasonableness of their service is somenting that they see as a “relationship builder” .

Your machine now is not worth much.

Thanks for the info on their customer service lytle78. I do understand why they don't want to give out estimates before an evaluation, it's risky.
I would gladly pay $200 for repairs. I really like this machine, it's perfect for what I do.

The worst part about sending it in for repairs is not having a machine to use, I don't have a decent back-up. Having to go several weeks without detecting is like torture for me, lol ....

I'm tempted to just buy another machine but I'm not exactly financially well off right now. I need to give it some more thought I guess, thanks again.

When I sent in my omega, if I remember right, they said they'd call me with price before doing the work. They never called but did send me a new omega! Call and ask.

No backup?

I don’t understand why you never thought of having a backup machine. A nice used T2 can be had very reasonably. And I wouldn’t worry about buying used as long as you talk to the seller. I have 8 machines and only 3 were bought new. The other 5 look and operate as new at a fraction of the cost of new. Buying used well cared for machines will help you avoid your current situation. Good luck. BUY A BACKUP!

I don’t understand why you never thought of having a backup machine. A nice used T2 can be had very reasonably. And I wouldn’t worry about buying used as long as you talk to the seller. I have 8 machines and only 3 were bought new. The other 5 look and operate as new at a fraction of the cost of new. Buying used well cared for machines will help you avoid your current situation. Good luck. BUY A BACKUP!

Not everyone has the cash for a second machine. I only have 2 now myself but there was a 4-5 year gap between purchases.

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Life is a long list of choices. Better choices equal better life. If money is not enough choose to find a way to make more. This world is full of people blaming anything or anyone for their misfortunes while in fact it is a matter of poor decision making. Everybody has made a bad decision or choice in their lives. Choose to learn from them and you will be happier.

Life is a long list of choices. Better choices equal better life. If money is not enough choose to find a way to make more. This world is full of people blaming anything or anyone for their misfortunes while in fact it is a matter of poor decision making. Everybody has made a bad decision or choice in their lives. Choose to learn from them and you will be happier.

Just because you don’t have lots of money doesn’t mean your blaming anyone, or living a bad life. Sometimes it just means you put your money where you need it most.

Nox 600

Your wants and needs are best achieved by making good choices is all I was saying.

Just sounds judgmental to me. Not everyone can have money to blow yet live a comfortable life. We don’t all need the best of the best to be happy. I’m glad you are doing well but don’t assume those with less spare cash are living less of a life than you.

Nox 600

I've decided to send in in for repairs, it's a fairly new machine and I feel is worth the investment. I may pick up a used Fisher F5 or something similar to use while it's being repaired and as a back up for later.

I would love to own multiple machines but I'm not there yet. I'm a construction manager and my wife is a letter carrier for the post office, we make a decent living. We also have kids that want to go to collage, boats and vehicles to keep maintained and a mortgage to pay so there's only so much money available to devote to our many hobbies.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

It should be a very simple Plug N Play for that screen replacement...IIRC, I remember watching a vid where a guy took his apart and installed a backlight of his own devise...It seemed the LCD screen simply unplugged...maybe 15 minutes tops for a guy with the tools and the replacement sitting there...:?:

Hope it all goes well for you!

I sent the machine to Teknetics / First Texas Products for repairs and they received it on Monday. I got a call from Felix in their service department today to let me know that they had replaced the LCD screen on the T2 and it was on it's way back to me via FedEx, I should receive it on Tuesday. I asked how much I owed them and he said there would be no charge for the repair!

Felix is an awesome guy to deal with and their customer service is outstanding. I'm extremely impressed.

I sent the machine to Teknetics / First Texas Products for repairs and they received it on Monday. I got a call from Felix in their service department today to let me know that they had replaced the LCD screen on the T2 and it was on it's way back to me via FedEx, I should receive it on Tuesday. I asked how much I owed them and he said there would be no charge for the repair!

Felix is an awesome guy to deal with and their customer service is outstanding. I'm extremely impressed.

Sounds like some good service provided.
Thanks for sharing.

There

You go bro., they are a good company, they repaired a ETP no charge for me , now take it easy on the new screen, may i sugest a screen cover, happy hunting.

Sounds like some good service provided.
Thanks for sharing.

Awesome service, way beyond what I expected.

You go bro., they are a good company, they repaired a ETP no charge for me , now take it easy on the new screen, may i sugest a screen cover, happy hunting.

Thank you. I just got it back today, nice new LCD on it. Oh trust me, I learned my lesson. I'm going to be much more careful moving forward. I have a screen cover and an elbow cover for it now.
I'm usually hunting in thick woods and muddy farm fields so anything can happen....

Ya

Never had issues with my F75s, had two standard, now a F75se with dst and boost, great company if something goes wrong , its been in the closet for a while, but ill probably never sell it, happy hunting, Earl

Back
Top Bottom