• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Planning Maiden Voyage in Water with Equinox 800.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I'm always been a dirt detectorist. I'm interested in trying detecting in water up to waist deep or so. Is there anything I should do to ensure my Eqinox doesn't have any problems in the water? I've had it for a year or so. Never had it submerged. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, what modes work the best for you in freshwater? Im a Park 1 kinda guy, but wonder if other modes are better suited?

Last edited:
I'm always been a dirt detectorist. I'm interested in trying detecting in water up to waist deep or so. Is there anything I should do to ensure my Eqinox doesn't have any problems in the water? I've had it for a year or so. Never had it submerged. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, what modes work the best for you in freshwater? Im a Park 1 kinda guy, but wonder if other modes are better suited?

Might work. Test it and see what happens. also....check your PMs :D

With the Bluetooth the second the control head goes under you will loose signal.
You can't just plug headphones in and detect. For water you need headphones with the waterproof special connection.
Think their are three brands with the proper connection.
1 Minelab Aqua for Equinox.
2 Grey ghost Aqua or Equinox ( I have
3 ? Don’t know the brand.
Last year I got three rings in waist high water and one was 18k gold.
Doug

With the Bluetooth the second the control head goes under you will loose signal.
You can't just plug headphones in and detect. For water you need headphones with the waterproof special connection.
Doug

Thanks. I do have wired, waterproof headphones and a great scoop. I have the gear, just not the experience. I'm not expecting a lot the first trip. Just lots of learning. What type of shoes do you wear?

I'm realizing I'm have more questions.

Doug

Shoot, I have waterproof phones and forgot all about mentioning that. Great advice.

How ironic that we are flip flopped in our hunting experience. As I am learning more about dirt hunting. For shoe starters , go cheap. I bought some nice lightweight running shoes on clearance from walmart for $5. No socks. Depending on water temp and how much you get into it , get some decent dive boots. They will be your best bet. But also much more expensive.

How ironic that we are flip flopped in our hunting experience. As I am learning more about dirt hunting. For shoe starters , go cheap. I bought some nice lightweight running shoes on clearance from walmart for $5. No socks. Depending on water temp and how much you get into it , get some decent dive boots. They will be your best bet. But also much more expensive.

I appreciate that. The waters not all that cold. I probably have some shoes I can use around the house to start. Stupid question.. Do you just kind of drag the scoop behind you as you swing? I'm just trying to think through the logistics. I am used to carrying a shovel in my left hand.

Doug

3. Tony Eisenhower makes wonderful headphones for the Nox. Very comfortable, plenty of volume, and blocks out lots of ambient noise.

I appreciate that. The waters not all that cold. I probably have some shoes I can use around the house to start. Stupid question.. Do you just kind of drag the scoop behind you as you swing? I'm just trying to think through the logistics. I am used to carrying a shovel in my left hand.

I will have it on my side or out of the water over my shoulder. Dragging it behind you is just that , a drag ! I don't water hunt as much as I used to. See what works best for you. I'm sure other here who strictly water hunt only can chime in.

When a dirt hunter transitions to water for the first time, it can be pretty overwhelming! I started hitting the water more these past few years, and definitely give the full time water babies TONS of props! It's certainly nowhere near as easy as it looks, and takes many hours of practice. I'm still learning myself, luckily this forum has helped tremendously, and lots share their techniques and experiences. The trouble in my area is large rocks, I dont have straight sand. So that kind of rules out scoops, and fanning isn't really an option for targets that are 6-12" deep when using a snorkel, not to mention visibility is poor to begin with. Trial and error seems to be my best learning technique though. Good luck and keep us posted!

Water detecting on a hot day is awesome! I've done this only a few times now with my EQNX. My little hand scoop has so far been useless in the packed lake & river bottoms, so I just use my hands and dirt digger. My techniques are far from perfected, but so far, they usually work. It gets hard to locate the precise spot to dig when you can't see the bottom, but you get the hang of it.
Here's how it goes for me: I don't use headphones because I don't have waterproof, and I found out the Bluetooth signal cuts off when the control head goes under. I, and anyone around me, can hear the detector sounds when it's above water, but it gets muffled, and sometimes goes "loopy" when under water. This is ok, because you can feel the signals through the detector's handle. You don't always need to see the TID display either. I dig almost any good, repeatable signal. When the coil is submerged to the point of not being clearly visible, you have to estimate your target's location. You get the hang of it. Then, I use my non-detector hand, holding my waterproof carrot pinpointer (which is now turned on) by the tip end, and reach down to the bottom to try to pinpoint and/or grab the target. Sometimes a little finger digging does the trick. I pull up a hopeful handful with the carrot(by the tip end) in the same handful. If it keeps vibrating when I pull it up, I know I have the target in hand. If not, I keep trying. Sometimes I have to use my digger to dig it up first, then resume "pinpoint grabbing". I don't remember now how I even carry my digger, but I did figure out some way. :?: A belt and sheath would probably be good. Sometimes while going after the target, it's an easy grab. Other times, I set the Eqnx right on the bottom and go to work until I get it. Another tip: if I don't have a clear visual, I use the tip of one foot to mark the spot before-and-between attempts.
I wear swim trunks with cargo pockets, and carry a mesh bag with shoulder strap for the trash. It has a sleeve for the small bits and pieces. The goods go in my cargo pockets. Gold rings go in my small inside pocket. Hey, that actually happened once! :D You may want to devise a system for holding the fish hooks you find. I still need to work on that. Tiny splitshot weights too.

If you can scoop sand, it's a whole different ballgame.
Footwear? Depends on the bottom. Barefoot if I can, or old tennis or water shoes if it's rocky.
Another tip: Sunscreen.

Good Luck!!

I went from the dirt ....to the drysand....then to waters edge ...then got wet. I never returned. One thing I really like about it, it's easy on the joints and a good work out.

Water detecting on a hot day is awesome! I've done this only a few times now with my EQNX. My little hand scoop has so far been useless in the packed lake & river bottoms, so I just use my hands and dirt digger. My techniques are far from perfected, but so far, they usually work. It gets hard to locate the precise spot to dig when you can't see the bottom, but you get the hang of it.
Here's how it goes for me: I don't use headphones because I don't have waterproof, and I found out the Bluetooth signal cuts off when the control head goes under. I, and anyone around me, can hear the detector sounds when it's above water, but it gets muffled, and sometimes goes "loopy" when under water. This is ok, because you can feel the signals through the detector's handle. You don't always need to see the TID display either. I dig almost any good, repeatable signal. When the coil is submerged to the point of not being clearly visible, you have to estimate your target's location. You get the hang of it. Then, I use my non-detector hand, holding my waterproof carrot pinpointer (which is now turned on) by the tip end, and reach down to the bottom to try to pinpoint and/or grab the target. Sometimes a little finger digging does the trick. I pull up a hopeful handful with the carrot(by the tip end) in the same handful. If it keeps vibrating when I pull it up, I know I have the target in hand. If not, I keep trying. Sometimes I have to use my digger to dig it up first, then resume "pinpoint grabbing". I don't remember now how I even carry my digger, but I did figure out some way. :?: A belt and sheath would probably be good. Sometimes while going after the target, it's an easy grab. Other times, I set the Eqnx right on the bottom and go to work until I get it. Another tip: if I don't have a clear visual, I use the tip of one foot to mark the spot before-and-between attempts.
I wear swim trunks with cargo pockets, and carry a mesh bag with shoulder strap for the trash. It has a sleeve for the small bits and pieces. The goods go in my cargo pockets. Gold rings go in my small inside pocket. Hey, that actually happened once! :D You may want to devise a system for holding the fish hooks you find. I still need to work on that. Tiny splitshot weights too.

If you can scoop sand, it's a whole different ballgame.
Footwear? Depends on the bottom. Barefoot if I can, or old tennis or water shoes if it's rocky.
Another tip: Sunscreen.

Thanks! I am hitting a place that has sand, but I'm sure I'll get into rockier areas too. I like the pinpointer grabing method. I hadn't even thought of bringing a pinponter.

When a dirt hunter transitions to water for the first time, it can be pretty overwhelming! I started hitting the water more these past few years, and definitely give the full time water babies TONS of props! It's certainly nowhere near as easy as it looks, and takes many hours of practice. I'm still learning myself, luckily this forum has helped tremendously, and lots share their techniques and experiences. The trouble in my area is large rocks, I dont have straight sand. So that kind of rules out scoops, and fanning isn't really an option for targets that are 6-12" deep when using a snorkel, not to mention visibility is poor to begin with. Trial and error seems to be my best learning technique though. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you for the response. I appreciate that. I think its going to take a lot of trial and error. I'm keeping my expectations low and my learning brain engaged.

Some of the guys here have some great waterhunting video's. Another thing to consider is a plastic mesh basket floated by pool noodles , that you pull behind you. Lots of homemade ones out there. Dump your scoop into the basket as the water filters it out. Go over it with your detector or pinpointer. Big time saver.

Sneakers are the way to go. I use to use closed up water shoes but I never found a pair that had support. I tried sandles and hated getting rocks under my feet.

I made my own tow behind floating bucket screen and love it . I will be reworking it or making a new heavy duty floating screen that should double at a may west in a jam. I got a spot I want to use it to float over to the other side with . I just tried to attach a photo and it would not let me.

Good Luck and have fun!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Do you keep hold of it with your hand, or do you have it lanyard?

About an inch from the top i drilled a hole through it, ran a line maybe 10 inches long and have a net float on it. That way when you are in deeper than your handle is long you can still let it go and spot it by the float. I drag it holding on to the float. No lanyard, I don't like lines hanging and floating around me wrapping up in everything.

Back
Top Bottom