It’s all getting to be too much

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I’m sitting here looking around,flipping through you tube videos ,,,watching all these new releases out and ones that have been out..And I’m just as lost as 2 blind lesbians in a fish market.
I mean it’s endless settings and menus anymore, iron bias this,radio check that... Hell,after I run through all the menus and settings my minds fried,I forgot why the hell I'm even in the field or how I got there.
I’m a dirt hunter..I can take my original Deus, put it in basic 1,,run the disc Upto 88 and sens Upto 95 and just cherry pick deep coins all day long and never dig any junk. That’s it,no other settings and I’ll bet I can hit every coin these other machines find after they’ve set everything up for optimal performance...
Anyone else seeing this ?

Last edited:
It seems like it's getting more complicated , not really user friendly. Manufacturers and owners say it's easy. But in reality , it's not. Guys who have had the D2 since day 1 still don't have it down. Throw in an update and start all over again. Switch over to this setting , cross check with that. All to see if you should dig or not. A simpler machine and I'd be on my 3rd target already. WTH happened ?

It seems like it's getting more complicated , not really user friendly. Manufacturers and owners say it's easy. But in reality , it's not. Guys who have had the D2 since day 1 still don't have it down. Throw in an update and start all over again. Switch over to this setting , cross check with that. All to see if you should dig or not. A simpler machine and I'd be on my 3rd target already. WTH happened ?

Exactly. And the Legend new update 1.08,,, so many menus in a menu, how the heck did iffy signals remember which buttons to push is beyond me

Exactly. And the Legend new update 1.08,,, so many menus in a menu, how the heck did iffy signals remember which buttons to push is beyond me

I am with you on trying to remember all these new setting that will be in the new software, I myself am just getting accustomed to the 1.07 now throw in 40 more things and it is going to be confusing but I do feel from what I have seen the new software is going to be great but in my opinion the legend is no longer going to be a detector for a beginner to start out with rite now with the 1.07 it makes a great starting detector and also a detector for more experienced dictorist, but users ask for what is coming and Nokta/Macro stepped up and delivered sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side and just makes things more confusing.

I guess these newer SMF detectors were made for a person like me since they can handle gold prospecting, saltwater beach hunting, submerged hunting and everyday coin/jewelry/relic hunting. Throw one thing into the mix for dirt hunting/gold prospecting called moderate to high iron mineralization and that makes it next to impossible to have much fun with older Minelab BBS and FBS detectors along with the older Whites SMFs and any single frequency detector including great ones like the original Deus and the F75. You have to experience the huge perfomance loss that hits these detectors in bad dirt to believe it. Deeper than three inches, I might as well be using a PI or a Tesoro Vaquero and dig everthing because every non-ferrous target reads like low end iron or the high silver range with nothing in between and depth on those great detectors gets cut in half.

So, I don’t mind dealing with all of the settings when I can detect an 8” to 12” V nickel, gold ring, 3 ringer or buffalo gun shell casing and the target ID and tone responses are where they are supposed to be as if the targets are on the surface.

I spent 20 years guessing what the hell I was about to dig or even if I should try using all of the fine detectors from the past.Now I basically know what I am about to dig and I like it. Not going back. A big thanks from me to Minelab, XP and Nokta Makro for doing all the work to make this possible for the thousands of detector users who have had to suffer in bad mineralization for all of these years.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons I did not go D2, how do I know if I'm set up for the best results? My confidence level using the excalibur is so high I set the settings "just under" full blast, and took all the knobs off the control pod except the on/off. How simple is that.. I turn it on and hunt knowing it is at its best and can hang with most machines. Besides, I am too old to be learning another machine at 70... than add worried about settings.. :no:

Attachments

• 20220209_131232.jpg
    20220209_131232.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 942
I was planning on buying a Legend this year.... still might. But there is something to be said for having a detector that I'm very comfortable with and understand. With a bit over 2 years on my Nox 600 I wasn't sure I wanted to spend my limited time learning a new machine when I like and have confidence in what I'm using now. I know what the machine is telling me and have it down to minimal adjustments.

If life slows down later this year I'll probably pick up a Legend and give it a try.

I don't know you guys. I think the Deaus 2 and 1 are very user friendly and easy to set up and allows me to hunt with confidence. I've never used a machine that I bonded quicker with. Sold my Nox 800 not because I thought it wasn't a great detector. It was just that I felt I was doing better with the Deaus. It's great that we have options! I've never used the CTX but I've had a Whites V3i for years and if you want to see complicated menus that was a prime example. Haven't been able to part with it though. (I'm 71 by the way Joe)

Last edited:
One of the main reasons I did not go D2, how do I know if I'm set up for the best results? My confidence level using the excalibur is so high I set the settings "just under" full blast, and took all the knobs off the control pod except the on/off. How simple is that.. I turn it on and hunt knowing it is at its best and can hang with most machines. Besides, I am too old to be learning another machine at 70... than add worried about settings.. :no:

I agree Joe... our old technology can keep up with these new detectors... only thing deeper than what we use is a pulse... we have no screen, no buttons to keep pushing to make it run stable, we have a good idea when we are over gold and don't have to call out "mightbe gold" :yes:

Last edited:
Woodbutcher,

I understand what you're saying about simplicity, but a lot of detectorist, including myself, want full control over everything. I believe it's a good thing that some detectors have all those options and features, while other detectors exist that have minimal to mid settings and features. It's not as if anyone is being forced to purchase a full featured detector :)

Jim and OBN,

Using a detector that you're comfortable with, is the most important factor in this hobby. When deciding to purchase a new detector, comfort level is a priority, followed closely behind by, "Will I find more goodies with this new detector?".

In regards to the Legend VS Nox,

When I got back into the hobby after a long absence, I decided to either go with the Legend or a Nox. The decision then quickly came down to the Legend or the 800, because the 600 was too limited for my needs, but some are fine with it, and that's ok.

After extensive research, it became more and more clear, that the Legend was a much better choice than an 800. The deal breaker wasn't that the Nox 800, its coils and other accessories, were significantly more expensive than the Legend, nor was the deal breaker directly about the Nox's numerous build quality issues (including the fatal leaking issue). The deal breaker for me, was the fact that Minelab did nothing to fix these serious issues.

To summarize, this hobby isn't so much about detector features, as it is about personal comfort when it comes to all aspects of this hobby.

I had a Garrett AT Pro and looking to upgrade a little, thinking Equinox 800
any suggestions?

For those that want to work at learning the more complicated modern detectors their features can help you get more good finds (especially in bad ground). When learning/using one with a lot of settings I think it's best to go the Colonel Sanders method and concentrate only on it.
That being said, in most places the Vaquero is a great detector that's simple, fast, deep, fun and produces.
The object of the 'game' is to find the 'treasures' you're looking for but we play it for enjoyment. Different strokes for different folks. Fortunately there's a detector out there for everybody except the guys that expect to only find gold rings.

I personally dislike the fact detectors are dumbed down and simplified for the masses. I dislike how detector companies write their manuals for the lowest common denominator and withhold technical and scientific insight so as to not confuse people.

But, I am a software engineer with a background in physics.

I like Rutus' avenue where they have a simple mode and an expert mode that you can change the detector to. Granted I have never used that detector, but seems like an interesting concept.

Equinox 600. For dirt hunting noise cancel, ground balance and dig the goods. No desire to figure out which program I need and have to switch back and forth. Simple is better AND it works.

Steve

But, I am a software engineer with a background in physics.

That's awesome.

I'm a computer tech.

Also, science, physics, and engineering, have been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I simply have to know how things work.

Back
Top Bottom