DEUS 2 vs CTX 3030

ManInTheWaLL

Banned
Like I would tell you, so you can find the 500 mil
I have both, don't claim to be an expert in either. I love many aspects of the Deus, but... when it gets down to it, under actual conditions, it seems the CTX can detect coins better and deeper than the Deus by a sizable margin.

Rather amazing the CTX holds its own, being so old of a machine.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get my legend out, and see how it compares to these two.

I congratulate you if you do. That will be quite an undertaking.I hope you will post your results. Are you going to hit each target with all three?

I congratulate you if you do. That will be quite an undertaking.I hope you will post your results. Are you going to hit each target with all three?

Yes.

It seems when conditions are not "ideal", the ctx can give you information on the target that the Deus can't. If... you are observant enough to watch for the info.

I can find easy coins quicker at the surface with the Deus, because I can move at faster rate with it. But.... once they get deeper.. or mixed with not perfect conditions, the CTX seems like it's more of a refined tool.

Having owned both I feel they are two differently purposed detectors. I love the ergonomics and sensitivity to small gold for tot lots of the Deus, but I feel the CTX is the better all-around detector. If you're an old coin person then the CTX is the detector for you. My issue with the CTX is weight. The CTX is more stable than the Deus in my opinion as well.

I'd love to try a CTX. However, I don't think I would want to use one, as weight is factor for me.

If you do decide to do a comparison, please provide the details such as target type(s), coil size, and all the settings on each detector.

Also, if one detector can't hit a target at a certain depth, please provide the depth at which it can hit it.

I've seen so many comparisons that leave out critical details, which in effect, make the comparison almost meaningless.

I'd love to try a CTX. However, I don't think I would want to use one, as weight is factor for me.

If you do decide to do a comparison, please provide the details such as target type(s), coil size, and all the settings on each detector.

Also, if one detector can't hit a target at a certain depth, please provide the depth at which it can hit it.

I've seen so many comparisons that leave out critical details, which in effect, make the comparison almost meaningless.

If I had a camera man, I would use each machine ( CTX, Deus, Legend) on each hole and make a video!

There are so many variables, it would be very easy to slant the results one way or another. Buy both... it's kinda fun jumping from one to the other!

The Deus II is a great detector, but I just got the CTX4040, and man, what a machine. Actually tells you what coin or other item is under the coil, and will also tell you the date on the coin and it's current market value. The worst thing is that I can't get them both in my Tesla Roadster. But no problem, I just have one of my employees fly them to my permission in the chopper, which works out fine because then they do an aerial video of my incredible hunt. I also have two of my employees dropped off to carry my detectors. They look good in bikinis, at least the people in the gallery think so. I'll post the video when my production crew gets it edited. HH

Testing those three on deeper high conductor coins, especially silver, the CTX may win that contest. On low to mid conductor coins.....??????

Having owned both I feel they are two differently purposed detectors....

^ ^ This. Good post. ^ ^

If the Deus II is anything like the Deus I, then it's going to be better at averaging through nails, to get a hint at conductors underneath. Like for ghost-townsy nail-ridden conditions. But sure, it might not go as deep, or have the tell-tale TID that the 3030 has. The 3030 will be your better turf cherry-picking machine (more tell-tale TIDs). And maybe more depth.

2 different machines for 2 different purposes.

Testing those three on deeper high conductor coins, especially silver, the CTX may win that contest. On low to mid conductor coins.....??????

I've seen quite a few posts about the CTX sniffing out silver better than other past and present flagship detectors. Problem is, whenever I ask those posters how exactly that is achieved, they have no answer. To me, unless it can be explained in a technological manner, then the anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

As much as I would like to try a CTX, I find it difficult to imagine how a CTX could outperform a properly set up D2, Legend, or NOX. The exception would be the Legend in iron, given it's debilitating high iron bias preset.

I've seen quite a few posts about the CTX sniffing out silver better than other past and present flagship detectors. Problem is, whenever I ask those posters how exactly that is achieved, they have no answer. To me, unless it can be explained in a technological manner, then the anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.....

digalicious , There has been many machines, over the last 40 yrs. that have been said to be better on high conductors (sniffing out silver). The explorer incarnations are one-such-example. XS, Explorer, SE, Etrac, and 3030 are examples. And each of them is going to be wimpy on dainty little low conductors.

Another example was the original Whites 6000d and 6db (circa 1978). Great, for their era, on deep silver. But wimpy on nickels and dainty jewelry. It had to do with the VLF (very low frequency) and filters. Contrast to very HIGH frequency machines are great on super dainty stuff, and seeing through nails. Yet lacked on ability in mineralized soils, lacked in TID, lacked depth, etc....

Maybe I can't explain it in a "technological manner". But the anecdotal evidence is there. Eg.: 2 persons (of equal skill level), comparing flagged signals, when doing deep-turf-cherry-picking, will see the evidence (albeit anecdotal) .

Hi Tom.

The CTX is FBS2 isn't it? Perhaps the 100 Khz is more sensitive to very small signals such as coins on edge and angled coins? Which is how most coins are situated in the ground.

Why didn't Minelab use FBS2 in the NOX? Too much battery depletion?

I've seen quite a few posts about the CTX sniffing out silver better than other past and present flagship detectors. Problem is, whenever I ask those posters how exactly that is achieved, they have no answer. To me, unless it can be explained in a technological manner, then the anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

As much as I would like to try a CTX, I find it difficult to imagine how a CTX could outperform a properly set up D2, Legend, or NOX. The exception would be the Legend in iron, given it's debilitating high iron bias preset.

I took my legend out there, on nickels it kinda did ok, but.. it was so terrible, I put it down, It was a waste of time, no comparison.

I would love for engineers to come here and explain this stuff also. The CTX being big and bulky, I'm thinking there are some aspects of its design, that if shrunk would lose some of its abilities.

It seems the CTX can get down there deeper, and handle other interferences, less that perfect situations, better than the Deus

I was thinking.. if I were to design a Metal Detector for the consumer market, I would get the top engineers from the top MD manufactures. It would be interesting to see what they could make together. Then again, I don't think the market is big enough, for any company to put a lot of R&D into these.

I wonder how much the minelabs units cost that they sell to the military? And of course, if you have ever done business with the Military, they love to order extra parts.. they call up and say.. "We have budget to blow, what can you sell us'

I've had the CIA call and order stuff, it was always a dead giveaway, they never ask for shipping costs. I tacked on about $2,500 on one of their orders once, they didn't care.

The MD industry just seems like a very small market, with very little profit. I've had other hobbies, and I've never seen Message boards as slow, as those in the MD hobby realm. Its just a boring old hobby that old men on the beach do! Not very glamorous. And to be truthful, if I had to use anything less than a Deus or CTX, something in that class, I would not find it technical/precise enough to mess with. And how many are going to dump that kind of $ into this hobby?

Where do they even get the engineers for these companies that design MD's? What other products would use similar technology?

Imagine little drones, setting in the bushes, and when they pick up a signal from a MD'er, they zoom in and set off a grenade. Would be a good military tool to wipe out soldiers with MD'ers

I’ve put a lot of hours on all three of those mentioned, so I’ll toss in my two pennies.

I agree with what some others have already said about the Deus 1. It’s an outstanding relic machine, great for hunting older sites and sniping keepers from iron. But when it comes to coin shooting in modern trash, it leaves a lot to be desired.

After reading some of these posts, it seems like a few members are under the impression that the Deus 2 is just a slightly updated version of the original Deus. It is not. The D2 is a completely different animal. Not only is it SMF, but XP has fixed a lot of the issues that plagued the original. The D2 is much more stable at higher sensitivity settings, it has an accurate ID, even on deep targets, it has way more tone options, it doesn’t up-average TID nearly as much, and it’s considerably deeper than the D1.

As for the D2 vs the CTX, after my first few weeks using the D2, I would’ve said the same thing as the OP. Matter of fact, I did. I said that I don’t think the D2 would be able to match the CTX for coin shooting. But after putting hundreds of hours on the D2 and really getting to know it, I’ve changed my mind.. While I still believe the CTX has the most accurate ID of any detector I’ve used, I can cherry pick coins just as well with the D2. The ID is accurate enough, and I can tell by the tones when I have a deep coin under the coil. You can even predict silver pretty easily based on depth. Speaking of depth, I find the D2 with the 9” coil to be every bit as deep as my CTX with the 11” coil. I’ve dug several coins in the 9”-10” range which still give a very clear signal. Now getting good depth does require some tuning for the site and targets you’re detecting. If you’re just using the presets, you’ll probably be less than impressed with the depth you’re getting. Those presets are designed to be a good baseline for new users, but to see the machine’s max potential, you have to tweak it to match your needs.

Can the D2 match the CTX for coin shooting? I think so. I’ve had mine for about 4 months, and spent the first month or so just getting to know it. I dug my 49th silver with it today. All but about 3 of those came from public properties like parks, schools and a few curb strips.

The 3030 has been my go-to detector for years, and I know it like the back of my hand. Had you asked me just a couple of months ago if I’d ever consider selling it, I’d have told you hell no. I sold it today. The reason is, I feel like the D2 can cover all the bases. Everything from cherry picking coins in modern trash, to hunting jewelry or relics. At the same time, it’s much lighter and easier to swing which means I can cover more ground. I plan to use the money from selling the CTX to preorder whatever machine Minelab releases next. What can i say… I like trying new detectors!

Having said all that, I still think the CTX is an outstanding machine. One of the best ever made! We all have different needs and preferences when it comes to metal detectors. You just gotta go with what works best for you.

I’ve put a lot of hours on all three of those mentioned, so I’ll toss in my two pennies.

I agree with what some others have already said about the Deus 1. It’s an outstanding relic machine, great for hunting older sites and sniping keepers from iron. But when it comes to coin shooting in modern trash, it leaves a lot to be desired.

After reading some of these posts, it seems like a few members are under the impression that the Deus 2 is just a slightly updated version of the original Deus. It is not. The D2 is a completely different animal. Not only is it SMF, but XP has fixed a lot of the issues that plagued the original. The D2 is much more stable at higher sensitivity settings, it has an accurate ID, even on deep targets, it has way more tone options, it doesn’t up-average TID nearly as much, and it’s considerably deeper than the D1.

As for the D2 vs the CTX, after my first few weeks using the D2, I would’ve said the same thing as the OP. Matter of fact, I did. I said that I don’t think the D2 would be able to match the CTX for coin shooting. But after putting hundreds of hours on the D2 and really getting to know it, I’ve changed my mind.. While I still believe the CTX has the most accurate ID of any detector I’ve used, I can cherry pick coins just as well with the D2. The ID is accurate enough, and I can tell by the tones when I have a deep coin under the coil. You can even predict silver pretty easily based on depth. Speaking of depth, I find the D2 with the 9” coil to be every bit as deep as my CTX with the 11” coil. I’ve dug several coins in the 9”-10” range which still give a very clear signal. Now getting good depth does require some tuning for the site and targets you’re detecting. If you’re just using the presets, you’ll probably be less than impressed with the depth you’re getting. Those presets are designed to be a good baseline for new users, but to see the machine’s max potential, you have to tweak it to match your needs.

Can the D2 match the CTX for coin shooting? I think so. I’ve had mine for about 4 months, and spent the first month or so just getting to know it. I dug my 49th silver with it today. All but about 3 of those came from public properties like parks, schools and a few curb strips.

The 3030 has been my go-to detector for years, and I know it like the back of my hand. Had you asked me just a couple of months ago if I’d ever consider selling it, I’d have told you hell no. I sold it today. The reason is, I feel like the D2 can cover all the bases. Everything from cherry picking coins in modern trash, to hunting jewelry or relics. At the same time, it’s much lighter and easier to swing which means I can cover more ground. I plan to use the money from selling the CTX to preorder whatever machine Minelab releases next. What can i say… I like trying new detectors!

Having said all that, I still think the CTX is an outstanding machine. One of the best ever made! We all have different needs and preferences when it comes to metal detectors. You just gotta go with what works best for you.

Hope you don't get lost with the Deus2, it doesn't have the GPS like the CTX does!

I took my legend out there, on nickels it kinda did ok, but.. it was so terrible, I put it down, It was a waste of time, no comparison.

I would love for engineers to come here and explain this stuff also. The CTX being big and bulky, I'm thinking there are some aspects of its design, that if shrunk would lose some of its abilities.

It seems the CTX can get down there deeper, and handle other interferences, less that perfect situations, better than the Deus

I was thinking.. if I were to design a Metal Detector for the consumer market, I would get the top engineers from the top MD manufactures. It would be interesting to see what they could make together. Then again, I don't think the market is big enough, for any company to put a lot of R&D into these.

I wonder how much the minelabs units cost that they sell to the military? And of course, if you have ever done business with the Military, they love to order extra parts.. they call up and say.. "We have budget to blow, what can you sell us'

I've had the CIA call and order stuff, it was always a dead giveaway, they never ask for shipping costs. I tacked on about $2,500 on one of their orders once, they didn't care.

The MD industry just seems like a very small market, with very little profit. I've had other hobbies, and I've never seen Message boards as slow, as those in the MD hobby realm. Its just a boring old hobby that old men on the beach do! Not very glamorous. And to be truthful, if I had to use anything less than a Deus or CTX, something in that class, I would not find it technical/precise enough to mess with. And how many are going to dump that kind of $ into this hobby?

Where do they even get the engineers for these companies that design MD's? What other products would use similar technology?

Imagine little drones, setting in the bushes, and when they pick up a signal from a MD'er, they zoom in and set off a grenade. Would be a good military tool to wipe out soldiers with MD'ers

Was the CIA ordering stuff from your bar? :cool3:

Problem is, whenever I ask those posters how exactly that is achieved, they have no answer. To me, unless it can be explained in a technological manner, then the anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

Unless you hook up an oscilloscope, I'm not sure how anyone can explain things in a technological manner, but I'll try. I don't even use a 3030, but to me, its pretty much an E-Trac with more bells and whistles (at least the underlying FBS technology is).

I believe FBS sends out lower frequencies than the D2, even in the HC program, but you need a scope or a reliable source online to verify this. I do not believe Minelab publishes this (if they do, I have not seen it). Lower frequencies are good for deep silver.

Operationally, the settings "response long" and "sizing pinpointing", as well as a very slow sweep speed are the secret sauce on the E-Trac. Maybe the 3030 has these settings, I dunno. I do know I have not found how to do response long on either the Nox or the D2.

This stuff will tell you if it is a coin-sized object. Next, the tones and TID of the FBS machine (at least the E-Trac) will distinguish between silver and clad about 75-80% of the time. I have not found a way to do this on the Nox or the D2, but maybe there is a way, I dunno. Digging clad will kill you, at least in park and school settings. I may miss some silvers, but I'll be swinging and covering more ground while the competition is digging clad in rock hard dirt. Moreover, the D2 in the HC program makes pull tabs sound like desirable targets; perhaps my machine is a lemon and others have not had this experience, but it really slows me down when a pull tab rings higher than a wheatie, and sounds so good.

Yes, silvers in iron are anecdotal, but I've dug enough of them that I can hold in my hand; iron stained and so forth, to know that the FBS machine can find these things, if you swing slow. I think there is really very little choice but to be anecdotal, as properly designed experiment has so many variables, that I doubt anyone has the patience to design one. (I know I don't, even tho I have a pretty good idea how to design controlled experiments, being an economist).

Which brings us to the larger point. What choice is there to be other than anecdotal? Consider the variables that have to be controlled for among 2 different detectorists: hours swinging, mineralization of their dirt, historical population density, skill at research and permission for getting good sites, skill of their competition, and so forth.

So, when I hear I've found X silvers with machine Y, what does it mean? As much as I love success stories, not much when deciding on a machine. I've found 35 silvers this year with the E-Trac, which I think is pretty good, considering my hours in the field this year (a better way to look at it is silvers per hour, but that only eliminates one variable of many). But people are selling their E-Tracs and 3030s in droves, so what does that mean?

I don't think anyone is ever going to design a bona fide head to head experiment between 2 machines that controls for all variables. It takes such a rigor that most don't have the patience or training for. I've never seen a properly done head to head experiment myself, tho I did do one myself between the V3 and the E-Trac back in the day. It was way too much work to do again. More efficient to buy all the machines in question, and sell the ones that don't work for you. About $300 of risk with the D2, way cheaper on an hourly basis than the time to design and perform a proper head to head experiment.

So, if you believe that, we are left with anecdotes, and what we must do is aggregate them. Crowdsourcing if you will. While economists tend to be process rather than outcome people, we almost think in terms of crowdsourcing. Crowdsourcing is what sets prices in a free market, for example.

So, you suck all the anecdotes into your brain, consider the credibility of the source, and your brain churns and churns, and eventually comes to some sort of average opinion of the crowd as to which machine is better for what you wish to accomplish with it. This is what happened with the E-Trac vs the V3. No oscilloscopes, no technological explanations, the crowd determined via a mountain of anecdotes that the E-Trac was the better machine than the V3 for finding deep silver, and the crowd seems to have been right.

So, I see the preference of a technological explanation over anecdotes, but I just don't think we are going to get a properly designed experiment (air testing and test gardens are worthless, IMHO). So, all we have is crowdsourcing/aggregations of anecdotes. That is one of the reasons I, and others, feel the need to debunk certain charlatan(s) who pump certain machine(s), and dis other machine(s), but never seem to find much except in their test garden. They have an inappropriately outsized voice in the crowdsourcing domain.

JMHO

CTX gives me more info across a broad range. Keep in mind i am talking about salt beach hunting. Deus II hunting a salt beach with beach settings it prefers to ID low to mid conductors a lot deeper than high conductors. The VID numbers average pretty good at greater depth on the lows. High conductor you get a signal but the screen won't tell you a VID nearly as deep. And it gets confused on coins a lot. CTX is way more a cherry picker. In a storm when i need to be selective i would use a Nox or CTX over a DeusII and not feel bad about it. It's apples and oranges. One thing you won't ever see is me selling my CTX or Nox.

Back
Top Bottom