• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First time out

RyanMB

Got out on the beach for the first time with my new Ace 200. Either the beach is super clean or I just don't know what I am doing yet. I managed to find one new penny but had no other hits at all. Stopped after about an hour when my arm got tired. Had a great time though and picked up about 50 cigarette butts and some other trash. Definitely will be headed out again very soon.

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 226
"The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny" (No matter what one of our cranky moderators on here may think! :lol:) Good luck next time out!!

If you are way up North in the frozen tundra or a remote island, sure that can be expected. If you are at a touristy beach, then here are a few things to double check....

Turn off all discrimination.
Increase your sensitivity.
Bring along a test target that is silver, gold, and copper, like a penny. Test each of them to ensure your detector can see the target. If so, keep swinging.

If you are way up North in the frozen tundra or a remote island, sure that can be expected. If you are at a touristy beach, then here are a few things to double check....

Turn off all discrimination.
Increase your sensitivity.
Bring along a test target that is silver, gold, and copper, like a penny. Test each of them to ensure your detector can see the target. If so, keep swinging.

I had the sensitivity turned all the way up and had it set on zero-disc. I am in North Myrtle Beach. I tried my keys and then that penny and everything seemed to work. Its really hard for me to believe that the only thing out there was one lousy penny.

Killin it!!!!! You must have hunted Panama City beaches........... there are days where pull tabs are scarce .... don't get me wrong - going to the beach is fun but I have to travel 100 miles away just to find good stuff on a regular basis....

Keep at it and the good stuff will happen.......... just be very patient and go often...

GL & HH

Some people hook up a harness around their should and attach it to the detector. Tales the weight off your arm and transfers to your upper body instead.. simple bunjee cord will work

Some people hook up a harness around their should and attach it to the detector. Tales the weight off your arm and transfers to your upper body instead.. simple bunjee cord will work

Thanks, just need to get used to it is all

I had the sensitivity turned all the way up and had it set on zero-disc. I am in North Myrtle Beach. I tried my keys and then that penny and everything seemed to work. Its really hard for me to believe that the only thing out there was one lousy penny.

Only other suggestion is to keep a the coil parallel to the ground as you sweep and swing at a fairly slow rate, about 1 foot per second.

I was in MB and OBX last year. There were a few sections of beach that were so clean, I kept lifting my detector coil and scanning my scoop to make sure it still worked. LOL. Sorry to say, but the old saying is true, you can't find what isn't there. So if the section of beach isn't giving you any targets, consider driving down to a different section of beach and hunting again.

On the bright side, you didn't run into the any of the eight reported sharks in MB...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180523-232816.jpg
    Screenshot_20180523-232816.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 137
Only other suggestion is to keep a the coil parallel to the ground as you sweep and swing at a fairly slow rate, about 1 foot per second.

I was in MB and OBX last year. There were a few sections of beach that were so clean, I kept lifting my detector coil and scanning my scoop to make sure it still worked. LOL. Sorry to say, but the old saying is true, you can't find what isn't there. So if the section of beach isn't giving you any targets, consider driving down to a different section of beach and hunting again.

Lol, I kept pulling out my keys and dropping them to see if it was working or not. I will just have to try somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom