Looking to buy another detector

yooper69

Elite Member
I recently bought the Garrett ATX Deepseeker and denied my age and the shape I am in and thought I could still carry something that heavy through the woods for hours . Stupid me:lol: . It kicks my butt. To many years of smoking . So I am looking for advice - opinions to help me decide what’s the next machine. I’ve never really focused on coins or beaches or old homesteads. So basically looking for a machine waterproof with maximum depth that will work around abandoned mining camps “coins - relics - gold . In streams . Beach wading. In the woods for float copper. Parks for coins. Basically a good all around machine. Thanks for looking and any help .HH

You would want to look at the Nox then.

Not owning one I can only see what others post. But pretty sure the Nox would help ya. I do not consider my AT Pro heavy, but not happy with its water performance. You would want to talk with a dealer as I am only versed in a few detectors.

Obvious choice is Equinox 800 it will do all you need!

Well you won't get ahold of an 800 any time soon unless you want to pay hundreds more then their MSRP and I'm serious. So either go with a 600 or another machine. With the NOX series you will want to dig the Tone because the numbers are garbage, all over the place on targets in the ground. Not bashing the NOX, I have one, just stating a fact you should be aware of. Look into a Makro Multi Kruzer as a possibility to consider also.

Well you won't get ahold of an 800 any time soon unless you want to pay hundreds more then their MSRP and I'm serious. So either go with a 600 or another machine. With the NOX series you will want to dig the Tone because the numbers are garbage, all over the place on targets in the ground. Not bashing the NOX, I have one, just stating a fact you should be aware of. Look into a Makro Multi Kruzer as a possibility to consider also.

I got my 800 in one month from Antiques Detectors ☺:yes:

Dude, the ATX is super light weight. Only real option is a detector where the control box separates and can be hip or chest mounted. Maybe a pi like the Sea hunter?

According to Garrett's website, the ATX is 6.9 lbs including batteries. That is 1 of the heaviest metal detectors I've ever heard of!

The Minelab Equinox 600 is in stock at many dealers for the MSRP of $649. It transmits on a single frequency of 5, 10, or 15 kHz. It also transmits on 5,10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz simultaneously. The Minelab Equinox 800 has MSRP of $899 and transmits on a single frequency of 5, 10, 15, 20, or 40 kHz, or all 5 frequencies at once. The single frequency selection of 20 or 40 kHz might increase depth of gold flakes (and tiny nuggets).

I'm pretty sure these are usually the most recommended new detectors currently for those who can spend over $500 but not over $1,000. But White's offers the MX Sport a bit over $700, and Garrett has the AT Max $700+. New or used detector for under $500 or over $1,000 might change the advice. Best wishes, all.

A friend of mine uses the ATX on the beach. I convinced him to get a harness. He's using the Detector Pro Detector Pal, about $25.

Minelab Pro 45 Harness is your answer

Regardless of what model or type of detector......regardless of weight or size coil ..... this will allow you to hunt all day long. When set up correctly you can swing any detector with two fingers . Don't get tired just try one of these and do not go cheap and try some other brand thinking you will save a buck. I never go without mine and I never come home sore and worn out !! Best of luck and stay at it !!
I recently bought the Garrett ATX Deepseeker and denied my age and the shape I am in and thought I could still carry something that heavy through the woods for hours . Stupid me:lol: . It kicks my butt. To many years of smoking . So I am looking for advice - opinions to help me decide what’s the next machine. I’ve never really focused on coins or beaches or old homesteads. So basically looking for a machine waterproof with maximum depth that will work around abandoned mining camps “coins - relics - gold . In streams . Beach wading. In the woods for float copper. Parks for coins. Basically a good all around machine. Thanks for looking and any help .HH

Regardless of what model or type of detector......regardless of weight or size coil ..... this will allow you to hunt all day long. When set up correctly you can swing any detector with two fingers . Don't get tired just try one of these and do not go cheap and try some other brand thinking you will save a buck. I never go without mine and I never come home sore and worn out !! Best of luck and stay at it !!

How easily can you unhook and hook u the machine when you epwant to dig?

My opinion is

In your case, go with a under 3 lb Equinox 800, comes with wireless phones, and module, the CTX3030 will be heavier, more expensive, The Deus is not waterproof, do all, and will do good around your mining camps with the 20, 40 khz's running single , or Multi frequency, down the road if you want to submerge the machine in water , you will have to invest in some waterproof headphone's for the Nox, put your order in now, you might get one in 4-6 week's, happy with mine so far, happy hunting, Earl

If you can afford the ATX my opinion just by reading (never personally used) would be the CTX3030. Covers depth, accuracy, waterproof etc. I never swung the ATX but did pick on up in a store once and that thing felt like lifting the front of a truck. Can't imagine swinging one of them any length of time. On the other hand if a momma bear and it's cubs come chasing you a good swing with it will knock it out cold.

The equinox has 50 discriminate notches and it has 50 tones. Each tone is assigned to a notch. The notches are assigned an ID number. The tones are locked in with the notches. When your target hits the 13th notch, the ID will read 13 and it will give the 13th tone. So to say "dig by tones because the ID is not accurate" is contradictive.

The equinox ID is highly accurate and stable if you learn to isolate the target and just wiggle over it. If you open up the swing much at all, the equinox will read what is around the target. The equinox sees in high definition and highly sensitive. So the changing numbers is just a true reflection of what is in the ground. The high speed processing and fast recovery speed is giving an account of the ground/target/trash in real time with clarity.

If one isn't use to this kind of processing speed and recovery speed, it will appear to be unstable and inaccurate. The opposite is true. It is highly stable and highly accurate but requires an understanding of this and a change in the way one detects.

If one keeps and eye on cabelas, they have the equinox 800 in stock often but sell out within 24 hours. Watch on Tuesday and Thursday mid morning. That's when I see them listed instock the most. I've bought 2 800's from cabelas. I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom