Dream hunt tonight. What variety!

TrpnBils

If you look somewhere below this thread you'll see one called "Museum Project" that I posted a few nights ago. I hit the museum property for the first time tonight.

Wow.

I only got through the front yard, measured at about 0.05 acres (out of 3 acres total) and hit target after target for about 2 hours. All told, I got the following:

1926 merc
1876 seated dime
1877 seated dime
1887 V nickel
18?? V nickel
1904 Indian head
190? Indian head
1919 Buffalo
Dateless buffalo
Dateless shield nickel

Of this bunch, I have been waiting to dig an identifiable seated coin for like 5 years now (my one and only was totally slick except for the date), and I've only ever found one other shield (also dateless).

Awesome night. There is still more there, but I doubt once I get away from the residence it will thin out a bunch.

Attachments

• may 23.jpg
    may 23.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 614
Dang!!!! That's a great hunt. Congrats on the amazing coin finds!!!!

A fantastic hunt is an under statement. The variety is amazing. Congrats on the Seated dimes, the Merc, The Indian's, the "V's" the Shield and all the rest. A simply amazing hunt. What was your agreement with the Museum with what they wanted for the permission? Trapper

A fantastic hunt is an under statement. The variety is amazing. Congrats on the Seated dimes, the Merc, The Indian's, the "V's" the Shield and all the rest. A simply amazing hunt. What was your agreement with the Museum with what they wanted for the permission? Trapper

Thanks!

Agreement with the museum is I have "come anytime and do your thing" access to the property in return for my offer of "you guys get everything I dig and I'll make displays to show off the good stuff".

I have a blast digging coins because that's my "thing", but for this I hope I come across some more personal stuff (buttons, buckles, horse tack, etc) since the museum was originally a house and it still looks as if it's being lived in. That will certainly make a better display for the general public to see rather than just coins.

Fantastic job getting the goods!
I bet you could hunt that place once a week for a year and continue to find stuff:yes:

Fantastic job getting the goods!
I bet you could hunt that place once a week for a year and continue to find stuff:yes:

That's pretty much the plan lol. I only get out about 2-3 hours/week, so I figure this is at least going to be a project until the snow flies again.

That's a great hunt! You've found a killer place to dig for sure. I'd be swinging that place low and slow. Congrats!

Absolutely - I'm using the 11" coil to start with, then re-covering the same ground with the 6" coil before I move to the fields with the 17" one. There is a lot of iron where I was at last night so I have no doubt missed some stuff that I will be able to get with the 6" one. Lots of nails and rivets too, so a lot of falsing. Hopefully that small coil will be better equipped for the job there.

Really nice haul! Good to see they let you hunt! Do you plan on making a display of coins and relics? Awesome day!

Yeah that was our agreement that I initially approached them with. I'm hoping to find some nice iron relics and other stuff that will make for a better display than the coins will. Assuming once I move away from the house I will...

SAW WEEEEEEEEETTTTTT HUNT !!!!!

Looks like you had a blast there and more to come huh !?
Good luck cleaning out the rest of the goodies from that old dirt. And oh BTW, could you please post some close up shots of the seated coins at least???? please!!
Most of us don't get to see coins like that very often and we hang out on this site to live vicariously through folks like you.....and speaking of living it, have you done or thought of doin any videos of these recoveries?? Some people really love watching those hunts on you tube.......
Well, have a good one, and congrats again.........Bob

Back
Top Bottom