2-day hunt finds thin-gold chain !!!

Wonder why the pi wasn't hitting under an inch.
Thats what i was posting about in another thread about PI's. I would dig targets out deep with a PI and could barely find them on the surface. It was driving me nuts.

It took almost 30 minutes to untangle the mess but I finally got it. The total length is 19.25". The big loops are a micro fine gauge but almost 1/8" wide while the majority of the chain is 1/16" wide loops. With the help of a bud, we laid the necklace in a straight line on top of a 30" tall box and swung the coils over the box / chain. Keep in mind, I removed the clasp for the test.

With a coil sweep speed of about 1.5 sec / ft, and some major attention to *settings, the following depths were achieved:
  • NOX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 3-1/2"
  • CTX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4-1/4"
  • Excal - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4"
  • PI - it can ID the necklace from 1 - 7". BUT it doesn't see the necklace at 0-1"

While cleaning up, I dropped my phone and shattered the screen. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow and will see if they can copy my mem card.

Anyhow, in a controlled test and with the right settings, the CTX, Excal, and PI can find the chain and find the chain at greater depths than the NOX. :yes: :shock: :cool:

**Revised to remove settings from public post. If you want the settings info, please PM me.

I hate to say it but this is why i found it hard to keep commenting about the Nox as the best thing out there. You will get comments like your detector is broke, dont know what you are doing, etc. I have tested a bunch. But what shocks me is when Kapi calls me to come over and check a target with my Nox she hears with a blue excalibur and i cant hear it at all with a Nox:shock: Of course we are talking saltwater conditions here.

Itsa...... what size of a coil is she using on her Xcal? I dont know.... ive tested everything the Nox finds so far against the CTX and blue Xcal and the Nox is deeper..... BUT not in the ground, its all been air tests. Which may well make a difference. Like you said Itsa.....salt water. I do know the CTX isnt fond of open hollow earrings and the NOX is. In the water ...... its just so hard if you dont have another person there to test found targets with the other machine. You just end up guessing ....... would the CTX or Xcal have hit on this? Im pretty comfortable IN MY AREA the Nox is doing better than the CTX or Xcal in the wet sand. Its a hard machine to put down thou ...... just because its so light and moves well..... and to me its all about finding a target period. Thats my goal..... listen for a tone and one reason i use 2 tones a lot of times...... ill figure out the target but i have to find a target. That to me is the key getting over a target and knowing its a targets not a false signal. I think thats why a lot of targets are missed...... people moving to fast with bad coil control and just not realizing that beep was a target.

Thats what i was posting about in another thread about PI's. I would dig targets out deep with a PI and could barely find them on the surface. It was driving me nuts.

I've never seen this before.. at least not knowingly. Might depend on sweep speed and coil. Too slow and it might be getting knocked out.. wonder what would happen with a 10us delay vs a 23us delay. Air testing I can brush the coil on a pi with any necklace ive found and get a signal.. not so with the ctx

Itsa...... what size of a coil is she using on her Xcal? I think thats why a lot of targets are missed...... people moving to fast with bad coil control and just not realizing that beep was a target.

She uses a 1000. I know one thing with an Equinox you better overlap your coil swing. Treat it more like a Whites 950 coil. To me it appears they send a signal down more cone shape. Dunno? Just tested again today in a grid. Hopefully the 15"coil works more like a wiper blade? Youll have to test this in the ground. When you get a break from the gold that is. Slow here so i got nothing but time:lol:

With a coil sweep speed of about 1.5 sec / ft, and some major attention to *settings, the following depths were achieved:
  • NOX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 3-1/2"
  • CTX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4-1/4"
  • Excal - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4"
  • PI - it can ID the necklace from 1 - 7". BUT it doesn't see the necklace at 0-1"

Just an FYI, but swinging a NOX at 1.5 seconds PER FOOT is a huge no-go. Thats almost to the point of no longer getting results. The nox likes a good, solid sweep speed, although it is fairly forgiving in its range. Its you get crazy fast or turtle slow, your depths begin to drop significantly.

Back
Top Bottom