Anyone around here from California?

stealer

Elite Member
I'm from San Jose and i was wondering if it was illegal to metal detect in local parks or even state parks. it'd be great if anyone knew where i could find out!! :D

i found this:

Metal Detecting In California State Parks Prohibits Disturbance

These regulations define, plant life as including; leaf mold, grass, turf, and humus; and geological features include earth, sand, gravel, and rocks. The act of passing a metal detector over the ground in a State Park is not against the law. The prying up or digging out of an object however may be, as this may not be done if it disturbs the animals, plants, geological or archaeological features.

What does this mean by "may be [a violation]". Is that limited to State Parks or also to local parks? does the government have any authority over local parks?

Therefore, you will need to contact personnel in the park in which you wish to perform metal detecting and follow their instructions as to where and how you may metal detect.

Once again, does this apply to local parks?

thanks again in advance

Treasure Hunters Society of Santa Clara Valley

http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/treasurehunters.html

Try the link above for some local information in the Santa Clara Valley. You do need a permit of City of San Jose parks adn Santa Clara County Parks, but part of the membership in the above club includes an annual permit for both!
Most California State Parks don't allow digging except in the sand on State Beaches, and some of those may be restricted, allways best to check first!
Welcome to the Friendly and Happy Hunting!

Another good spot to check over your way is The Treasure Hunter store at 1645 S. Basom in Campbell, lots of guys hang out there with tons of info!

This does not apply to local parks. A state park is a state owned park that is administered by the state, not a county, city, or federal jurisdition. It is a legal term, not a blanket statement referring to any park in a given state. Usually State and National parks are off limits.

Santa Clara County Metal detecting Permit Info

Permits run one year from the date of purchase.

You can obtain a permit by phone if you would like by using a visa, mastercard or discovercard. Just call our reservations office at 408-355-2201, M-F, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. They close for lunch from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. They will also take payment by check if you wish. The check should be made out to Santa Clara County Parks & Recreation Dept. (S.C.Co. Parks & Recreation - short version).

If you would like to purchase a permit by mail, please send your check for $40to:

Attn: Reservations
S.C.Co Parks & Rec. Dept.
298 Garden Hill Dr.
Los Gatos, CA 95032-7669.

I believe you can also get the permits by annual membership in the Santa Clara county club.

$40.00 Permit

I just received mine and it excludes 19 parks of the 28 Santa Clara co parks. Of the remaining 9, 1 is a marina, 1 is motorcycle riding and a shooting range.

Treasure Hunters Society of Santa Clara Valley

http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/treasurehunters.html

Try the link above for some local information in the Santa Clara Valley. You do need a permit of City of San Jose parks adn Santa Clara County Parks, but part of the membership in the above club includes an annual permit for both!
Most California State Parks don't allow digging except in the sand on State Beaches, and some of those may be restricted, allways best to check first!
Welcome to the Friendly and Happy Hunting!

Another good spot to check over your way is The Treasure Hunter store at 1645 S. Basom in Campbell, lots of guys hang out there with tons of info!

You are right Ron. The club membership fees will get you permits for both San Jose city parks as well as Santa Clara county parks. It's a steal. :yes:

San Jose is TOUGH

I travel there on business. I have seen most of the parks specifically say no metal detecting. I've headed up the peninsula to San Mateo or Contra Costa parks.

Back
Top Bottom