• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

108 Nickels in the same hole

ramer

Elite Member
The day before yesterday, I found 108 nickels in the same hole. I had to dig out the root ball of a small tree to get at the majority of them. Once I got the root ball out, the nickels flowed like water.
The oldest of them is a 1945 war nickel, a 1947 and a 1949, and the rest are in the 60's, 70's, and some 80's.
Who put them there and why? Just nickels, no pennies, dimes, etc, just nickels.
My previous largest find in one hole was 4 years ago when I found 47 coins in the same hole, mostly pennies, some nickels, and a sprinkling of dimes and quarters. But this tops that by over twice. it took me about 45 minutes to get at all the nickels.
Oh well, over 5 dollars worth of coins in one hole. Not a bad day of metal detecting.
By the way, this is the same park where I found a 1936 half dollar 3 weeks ago. This cache was almost 2 miles away. A huge park to be sure.

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 809
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 813
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 790
  • Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 798
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 790
Probably put there by a guy named Nick [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the strangest thing that I've ever seen. Also the root ball looks tight like it recently came from a tree nursery. Big Congrats on finding all those nickels!

beephead

Nickels

Just to put people at rest, I replanted that root ball almost exactly as I found it. I even went to a small creek and filled up my water bottle several times and watered the tree. I think it is very happy.
This is deep in the woods of a vast 800 acre park. I very much doubt this tree was recently planted. It likely was spawned by larger trees in the area.

That's freaking wild! Great find finding all of those nickels in one hole! Maybe there's a cache of silver coins somewhere nearby as well.;)

Now that's one for the grandkids! You will now go down in history as the guy who detected 108 nickels in one hole!
So, trying to image someone stashing them there, I wonder if they were in a bag or something. We're there remnants of a container?

That's the strangest thing that I've ever seen. Also the root ball looks tight like it recently came from a tree nursery. Big Congrats on finding all those nickels!

beephead

Having done landscaping in the past I would have to agree. It looks like it was root bound in a pot. It just makes the mystery even more interesting. Was there any broken glass in the hole, or perhaps the grower/nursery decided to use nickles as drainage at the bottom of the pot? I hope it was dug in a secluded location, I dont know if I would chance a city employee catching me doing that.

Congrats on the monster spill!

I even went to a small creek and filled up my water bottle several times and watered the tree. I think it is very happy.

I wouldn't jump to concluons on that tree's happiness... you pilfered his life savings of $5.40 and replaced it with several bottles of creek water. I'd bet he's kinda pissed off. :laughing:

Awesome and strange find. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I put the tree back as I found it and even watered it. It is a happy little tree.

It was an ugly signal. A very iffy signal with sounds and VDI all over the place. But being in the woods, I did such iffy signals. Sure glad I did.

Having done landscaping in the past I would have to agree. It looks like it was root bound in a pot. It just makes the mystery even more interesting. Was there any broken glass in the hole, or perhaps the grower/nursery decided to use nickles as drainage at the bottom of the pot? I hope it was dug in a secluded location, I dont know if I would chance a city employee catching me doing that.

Congrats on the monster spill!

No, there was no sign of any containers, glass, cloth, paper, or otherwise. Just the coins.

Back
Top Bottom