Someone Should Make A Video On HOW To Make A Straight Shaft!

JBEXPRESS

Lunch Time Bandit
Forum Supporter
Someone Should Make A Video On HOW To Make A Straight Shaft and throw it on youtube! I Can't find a video on it. I mean it doesn't look hard but for anyone looking to make there own they could have a better explanation about it and a step by step instructions. PLUS you could list the parts and prices you need in the Description! I know I have seen the question come up a lot on HOW TO MAKE A STRAIGHT SHAFT. I thought this would make things a bit easier instead of keep having to answer the same questions. What do you think??

I didn't made a video but can explain you how I build a straight shaft years ago with an alternative cam lock system to secure the lower part of the shaft, it was so easy to make, you just need to find the right accessories.

1- The hardest part was to find a shaft to fit on the fiber rod of your detector, I was lucky to find Worth garden tools. they have a this tool name "long reach pruner", it's internal diameter fitted exactly to my Beach hunter lower fiber rod (another interesting point is that its anodize aluminum).

http://www.landscapersstore.com/worth-long-reach-pruner-w1034.html

2- You will also need a bicycle bar end (there are lots of cheaper model to customize your shaft)

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/bar-end.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Design-Brief-Mountain-Bike/dp/B0035X42YO/ref=pd_sbs_sg_12

3- For the twist or cam lock I had to buy a, what some plumbers call, quick repair coupler system, its an adapter that connects two ends of a pipe together, for my project I used
3/4" coupler. Normally this coupler can help to prevent the fiber rod to twist, but as some manufacturers have different internal diameter specifications, it will be difficult to find the right fit. Some duct tape can be used on the fiber rod to add more thickness and secure it in place inside the coupler (You will also need to drill some parallel holes on the shaft for fiber rod compression pin).

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/quick-repair-fittings.html

Tools

You will need a drilling machine, drill bits, duct tape and J.B Weld

How to proceed

- Dismantle the Worth long range pruner and the arm rest of your detector. Place it on the Worth shaft and mark the holes for the bolts and nuts.
- Drill the holes with appropriate drill bits and assemble the arm rest to the shaft.
- Adjust one the bicycle end bar on the shaft according to your arm length and grip, tighten the integrated nut and bolt of the end bar (note: you can use some J.b weld or duct tape on the rod to secure in place the end bar before tightening the bolt).
- Place the coupler on the end of the shaft
- Slide the fiber rod inside the other end of the coupler, finger tighten the coupler and gently twist the fiber rod to check if it fits inside the coupler.
- Remove the coupler and drill parallel holes on the shaft for the compression pin of the fiber rod.
- Add some J.B Weld to the end shaft and hold the coupler in place.
- Et voila! you get yourself a straight shaft.

As a result, here a picture (with a flashlight adapter) I've taken two years ago. Once I get back my camera I'll take some more detail pictures of this straight shaft :)

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 937
Good Point JB

Made several, of different materals.....including one out of a Aluminum cane, for travel..... just finished 2 carbon fibers..may try them, got several pic's...good idea

Made several, of different materals.....including one out of a Aluminum cane, for travel..... just finished 2 carbon fibers..may try them, got several pic's...good idea

Im in the process of getting the stuff I need to make it. So far I got the Handle bars from Walmart for $6, going to get the aluminum tubing on my lunch break. Then gotta get the arm cuff with a strap which I will see if RTG STORE has them ( there right down the street ) is there anything else I need??

Are you using the A-clips? If not then you will need nuts and bolts.

Are you using the A-clips? If not then you will need nuts and bolts.

What are A-Clips??? Pics??? I Just got a 6 foot aluminum tube but I need dimensions to cut and drill holes???

The buttons you press to remove the battery, ect. The holes on my pod were spaced 2.860 apart. The holes on the lower shaft are 1.575 apart but those can be what ever you want.

1. Need to decide on behind the elbow or under the forearm.
2. Drill tube for the lower carbon shaft first.
3. Then mount coil to the shaft and put into the tube. Slide the bicycle handle down the tube tighten just enough to keep from slideing down.Then place coil flat on the floor and adjust shaft and handle to whatever lenght is comfortable for you. Now you have your handle position.
After using mine for the first time last week i think i will be repositioning mine.

4. I used the stock arm cuff and slid that on the tube just to get an Idea were it will go and marked it, also did the same with controls and battery pod.

I drilled the arm cuff last but does not matter which you do first.

5. Measure and drill for the Pods and the cuff.
6 Any excess material can be cutoff the end. I think i started with a 4 foot lenght

I used a .265 drill=17/64. But depending on your skill level you may have to
open the holes up with a .281 = 9/32 drill. start small you can always make them bigger

hope this was helpful

Epi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom