1943 steel penny

Neil m

Curious if anyone has ever found one. I had one as a kid. I think I might still have it but I dont know where.

Here's Mine..

They are a tough find. Since iron targets are usually not dug the Steelie's are a hard dig. I found this one in a hole next to a Mercury Dime. Only way I would have dug the target was the Merc. They always come out in horrible condition..

Bruce

Attachments

• Picture 160.jpg
    Picture 160.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,214
I have a couple of wrapped rolls of them, as well as a pile of loose ones. Never have dug one though. I believe they deteriorate quickly in most soils. RickO

I have dug 2 of them this year. Both were part of a coin spill. Both were very badly corroded. I think it would be very tough to dig one of these by themselves.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

This question gets asked from time to time. A few of us have found them (2 for me) and it's usually with other copper wheats in the same hole.

I found this one at a park it was lying on the surface. Most likely recently lost.

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 997
For my collection I need all three 1943, 1943-d, 1943s if anyone wants to sell them let me know. I caant find them here but have not checked on line yet.

I'll dig my coins out in the morining..There in my bedroom & wife's asleep, I'm sure I have a few extra 43's I could part with, Not sure of the mint marks though but will check & let you know.

I never did really figure out if it was really a steel penny, but the dimensions seem correct. I happened to find it in the woods, near the site of an old house, isolated from other coins, which I guess is unusual. I just felt like digging iron targets that day.

attachment.php

For my collection I need all three 1943, 1943-d, 1943s if anyone wants to sell them let me know. I caant find them here but have not checked on line yet.

Went through my pennies & found 4 extra steel ones, There all plain..no mint marks, But if you want one let me know..;)

I have these 2 that my bank teller gave me. I've been meaning to take beefcake's advice and soak them in WD-40 to clean them up better. One is a D, the other an S.

Attachments

• IMGP0614.jpg
    IMGP0614.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 803
  • IMGP0615.jpg
    IMGP0615.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 734
Back
Top Bottom