Got out this morning in the snow.

mattbur03

I thought I was done for the winter but after reading a response by mud-puppy about hitting sledding hills I thought I'd give it a go.

John-Edmonton had made a post and I looked at his you tube page and he had a video of setting up the detector for extreme cold. I did make a minor change as to what he showed but he gave me what was needed to do this winter detecting proper like.

I drove clear into Erie this morning to a sledding hill I knew of. It was just over 20f. and set my detector up per John's suggestions.

The ground was incredibly hard. I didn't make any surface or in the snow finds. What I did find was maybe 1 or 2 inches below the surface. With a lot of effort I could pop a plug. So I ended my hunt early. The ground was just too frozen for me. I didn't have any real success...one penny and two bottle caps.

There was only a couple inches of snow in town so I'll wait for more snow to do another hunt. Mud did have a good idea about the sledding hills and I'll make it back eventually. It was nice getting out none the less.

Tony

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 226
I hope that "s" word don't make it's way here anytime soon :D

Joe, You mentioned in yesterdays post you were digging in frozen ground. I didn't even know it got cold enough in NJ to snow much less freeze the ground solid. lol I hope the "s____" stays out of NJ for you.

Tony

When the grass is frozen you can still dig in the woods...

Well, that's a thought. That's one more thing I didn't know. I'm on quite a learning curve still. Thanks for the tip.

Tony

Find a chunk of woods with big old trees . They drop big old leaves and the leaves decompose as they pile into each other over the years. This creates HEAT.
I am looking wor wooded parks or anywhere there has been activity . An area in town that was not always woods but 100 year old trees are pretty darn big so what was once a field ne'er an old school or church could now be a forest .
Happy hunting , Dew

Joe, You mentioned in yesterdays post you were digging in frozen ground. I didn't even know it got cold enough in NJ to snow much less freeze the ground solid. lol I hope the "s____" stays out of NJ for you.

Tony

Yes the top layer was frozen/hard. Todays was even worse.

Find a chunk of woods with big old trees . They drop big old leaves and the leaves decompose as they pile into each other over the years. This creates HEAT.
I am looking wor wooded parks or anywhere there has been activity . An area in town that was not always woods but 100 year old trees are pretty darn big so what was once a field ne'er an old school or church could now be a forest .
Happy hunting , Dew

I'm giving it a go this morning. I have a spot in mind and hope to be there first light.

Yes the top layer was frozen/hard. Todays was even worse.

I am hitting it this morning in a woods. It's not like a forest but still big enough to see if it is any less frozen.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom