WWII ID Bracelet Return (in work)

harpda

I was out hunting a beach in Okinawa that used to be popular with US servicemembers right after the war and in the dry sand I found this rolled gold ID bracelet. That was 6 months ago or so. I had thought about maybe tracking this man down and returning it but had not done anything yet. Then I saw Clearwatermike's post about Angelo's Angels Dog Tag Return. I contacted Francesca via Facebook and she tracked Neal Moberly Jr down for me! He is 86 years old! Here is what Franceska said:

I'm smiling from ear to ear right now. He is at that address and the post office lady I spoke to, Patty, knew him personally and said He's such a nice man! She said just send the package with tracking info to the address you already have and that should be sufficient. I asked her to please give Mr. Moberly my thanks for his service. She also said what a nice thing *you* are doing wanting to return his tag. I echo her sentiments and am very glad you contacted me. It's so rare that we get to help out with a tag that turns out to be for a veteran who is still living.

So this is just awesome! He is living in Ahwahnee, California.

I am planning on just mailing it, as I live in Okinawa and cannot make such a long trip. If anyone lives 'round those parts and would like to help with the return please PM me and I can mail it to you to complete the return -- i'd love to hear a little bit of his story. I'd love to see Neal's face when he gets this back. :grin: I'd love to see a picture of the return! I'll hold off on sending it back for a week or so to see if anyone would like to take me up on this!

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,007
I'm sure Mr. Moberly will be deeply moved when this is returned. Good job on the find and return, and once again, thank you Angelo's Angels!

It would be nice if someone from the forum could help deliver the package.... and maybe get a picture for you. That would complete the memory. If you cant find someone to do it ..... maybe add your phone number and ask to see if a family member could help him give you a call. You might also consider sending it to you detector company's web site they sometimes offer a small fee for these interesting stories that enhance the hobby..... and yours does.

Dew

Nice story and great return. I've also linked Angelo's Angels just in case I run across military tags or other personal items.

Nice work harpda!! Amazing how all worked out! :thumbsup"

And your machine should be there this coming week....

I'm sure Mr. Moberly will be deeply moved when this is returned. Good job on the find and return, and once again, thank you Angelo's Angels!

+1. It's a great thing the folks at Angelo's Angels are doing. They are working on a couple of WW2 dogtags for me.

What a wonderful story. Please find a way to post a return picture if possible... that would be one of the best posts of the year. Congrats on going the extra mile to make such a moment possible for one of our beloved veterans.

just speechless,,,,,these kind of stories are the ones give us a different name other than vultures,,,,,,,,like it,,,,,:cool:great work,,,,GL HH

Thanks for the effort to return this item. This is a great thing you are doing. Heart warming story! Hope some of our members are able to help you out.

Awesome story.......

Sad but true about the WWII veterans, a great generation that is disappearing fast!

Sure hope one of our California members steps up to do the return.

Cliff

UPDATE! Bracelet returned with photo!

What a great day! Thanks to Angelo's Angels for helping with the delivery.
Returned the bracelet to Mr. Moberly and received this email from his wife:

Dear Mr. Harp....we owe you such a great thanks for your kindness in returning my husbands bracelet...lost in 1945, on Ishikawa Beach. He was a very young man then..and so pleased by the bracelet sent to him by his parents. We have heard the story of regretting the loss many times over the years. Maybe you can imagine the surprise and delight our son received when he met our mail mistress,Patty, and learned what was taking place with your find!

Now Neal is 87 and we have been married for 66 years... Getting back a piece of his youth was a tender moment. Neal isn't able to type, so I'm filling in for him. I am going to send the picture of the occasion, but I'm not a pro with the computer, so our son Kevyn may also have to send a copy.

Our family and neighbors are also delighted in our getting the bracelet after 69 years and still being able to see letters and numbers. Neal is almost a celebrity.

We would gladly repay you for any expense incurred in shipping. Please send an address and we'll send it to you. Thank you for your hand written note included...now saved and shared too. Please express our thanks to your friends that assisted in hunting for Neal. The young woman Hilary, in Fresno, CA who was the one to deliver was very thoughtful and kind. We enjoyed meeting with her too and taking time for a lunch date with her and a few family members. We all wished you could be there so we could give personal thanks to you. Neal and I have both prayed blessings on you for your kindness and for your service to America.

Thank you again for your time and care in returning the bracelet

Sincerely,

Wanda Moberly....for Neal Moberly

Attachments

• Mr. Moberley.jpg
    Mr. Moberley.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 437
What a great end to this story! Congratulations to you and everyone who had a hand in this return...sounds like it couldn't have happened to a nicer family!

Back
Top Bottom