New Good Water Boot? The Fin Boot

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I came across these and I think they may have great potential for us beach & water hunters. They're designed for fisherman. The design seems to have much more support than diving shoes & booties, and are self-draining. Unfortunately, I recently bought a pair of Aqua Lung's Caribbean Boot and they seem to be working out for me better than my Croc's but these seem to have really fit the bill for what I was looking for. QUite possibly may be my next pair though.

The Fin Boot features a self-draining system, a neoprene and mesh upper that dries quickly, side zipper, and top web strap for a custom fit. The slip-resistant, non-marking sole offers best-in-class foot support and traction on slippery boat decks, beaches, and on dry land.

Here's the link: http://www.softscience.com/mens/fishing/fin-boot.html

Attachments

• the-fin-boot-by-softscience-41c (1).jpg
    the-fin-boot-by-softscience-41c (1).jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 431
Not too sure about this holes on the side of the sole.. I would shred them to pieces in a couple of months. Maybe others will give it a shot

Those holes would let a lot of our fine sand in..... cant stand that. I have had my MARE hard bottom 6.5 mil for 3 years or so now ...... and they are still in great shape, dont smell..... and $30 cheaper. BUT..... interesting new product. Let us know if you get a pair.

Tougher sole looks good but not sure if I like the "croc-like" side vents either. Fine sand I could live with washing in and out of the shoe but the problems start when you get pieces of shell in there :D:laughing:

I use a boot meant for surfing wetsuits, the sole has decent grip but is not thick so a screw/nail/glass on the beach might still be a problem... and I still find a way to get sand stuck in the toe section of them ;)

Hmmm, that's an interesting one. I could probably do with more protection. My dive boots are pretty thick-soled but might not stop a stonefish or cone snail. The side vents could be problematic, but I always get fine sand in mine no matter what, so there might not be much difference. Something to consider, for sure.

I dunno man. If they dry quickly you'll never get that impossible to accurately describe putrid damp scuba boot smell that resists even soaking in straight mirazyme.

A smell so bad it lingers in your car for hours after the boots have been safely posted on the Peet boot dryer. I don't know if sea water causes this septic dead otter smell like fresh water does, but damnson my boots are really bad by August. :wow:

891.jpg

They look nice but no protection from my mortal enemy STINGRAYS!
I actually reinforce my boots with additional thick rubber over any neoprene to try to have a bit more protection.

Best boots I ever had, but after three years they are now held together by aquaseal. Xmas is coming may have to look those up...I do like Big Zippers for these rarely get stuck.

Attachments

• 20170925_223520.jpg
    20170925_223520.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Quick review on SoftScience boots

I've been using them for a month or so, WONDERFUL. Hard sole, removable inner sole foot pad, flow through the shoe's foot material and the six hole in the bottom sole. Zipper make for easy in and out (once you get the zipper moving), but the pull tight strap on the top leaves much to be desired. Rinse the zipper with water before trying to pull down has helped. Quick drying and comfortable. I use a pair of NeoSocks to prevent wear and tear on my skin and keep the sand away from the skin. Fine sand will "wash through" the boots. Because of the harder sole than regular dive boots, my foot has a tendency to slip on the stainless steel plate on my scoop. I just need to be a bit more careful. There is no more sensation of rocks or shells when walking as you would feel in a pair of sneakers. Protection from Rays? - Probably no more than Neoprene booties. I had a Ray hit me - the stinger went through 3mil Neoprene and drew blood...what a pain in the foot! Pricey - about $80 including tax. I have not worn my Neoprene booties since I purchased these SoftScience shoes.

Back
Top Bottom