Wife may let me get a Nox 600 :) Advice?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So I've been swinging an AT Pro for about a year now and I REALLY like it, but I'm considering an upgrade. I've found enough clad that my wife is almost (but not quite) impressed enough to let me get a new detector. I'd likely have to sell one of my other ones (probably the F2) but that's OK.

My question is what's the learning curve going to be like? Would I be better off upgrading to the AT Max (which isn't all that much of an upgrade), or something else?

ETA: The only downside (and what's keeping her from giving me official permission is that I just got a Beretta APX :) picking it up tomorrow if it comes in hopefully)

Last edited:
I have owned the AT Max and also run both the Equinox models, do yourself a favor and go with the Equinox. The 800 would be my choice.
I owned a couple AT Pros and put 100’s of hours on them, I then bought the AT Max thinking it was an upgrade, did not like the tones at all and wish I would have kept the pro instead

I have owned the AT Max and also run both the Equinox models, do yourself a favor and go with the Equinox. The 800 would be my choice.
I owned a couple AT Pros and put 100’s of hours on them, I then bought the AT Max thinking it was an upgrade, did not like the tones at all and wish I would have kept the pro instead

I've thought about the 800, but I don't see the ROI compared to the 600...but I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong :)

I own a Nox 600 and an AT PRO. I am using the Nox all of the time now so I guess this tells you my opinion. I may not find as many golds and silvers as some but I certainly find more than my share of clads. I just bought a Nox
800. Should have it at the latest Monday.

I own a Nox 600 and an AT PRO. I am using the Nox all of the time now so I guess this tells you my opinion. I may not find as many golds and silvers as some but I certainly find more than my share of clads. I just bought a Nox

How was the learning curve to get up to speed on the Nox?

Start with Park1 or Park2 programs. Do some ground testing with coins and pay attention to the sounds. I like 5 tones instead of the 50 tones. I am sure you'll like the Nox but it does take some learning. I am going to the 800 because it has some refinements not offered on the 600. I like my 600 and it's found me a lot of good finds.

Coming from the At pro I learned the nox a bit using 5 tones. I'm not so sure about 50 tones.
I run park 2 iron bias 0 . Recovery speed 7
So far beach one with no modification.
My nox is the 800.:grin:
It has less audio info than the garrett in my opinion.

I've thought about the 800, but I don't see the ROI compared to the 600...but I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong :)

If you are thinking about this in terms of ROI, dont waste your money. You will find most of the same targets with the Garrett as you will with the ML. If you consider the purchase based on return, you should probably sell your current detector and get a part-time job somewhere. You'll be far ahead making minimum wage for the hours you would otherwise spend detecting.

If you are thinking about this in terms of ROI, dont waste your money. You will find most of the same targets with the Garrett as you will with the ML. If you consider the purchase based on return, you should probably sell your current detector and get a part-time job somewhere. You'll be far ahead making minimum wage for the hours you would otherwise spend detecting.

Good advice. Every time i put $70 of gas in my tank i look at my finds and guess i am breaking even. If i was hunting inland still i'd make more money renting out my detector:laughing:

well, perhaps ROI wasn't the right term. Basically is the extra ~200 bucks worth it to get the 800 instead of the 600. I don't see myself finding any gold nuggets where I hunt so gold mode likely wouldn't be used much, if at all.

If you ever feel like coming out to rockford, I have the 800 and the 600, you could give it a test run. Would have to be on a weekend my wife is off work, she only works like 1 weekend a month, ussually. I agree with do whatever makes your wife happy. Btw, i just picked up a new toy today too, a ruger lcp 2 chambered in .380

If you ever feel like coming out to rockford, I have the 800 and the 600, you could give it a test run. Would have to be on a weekend my wife is off work, she only works like 1 weekend a month, ussually. I agree with do whatever makes your wife happy. Btw, i just picked up a new toy today too, a ruger lcp 2 chambered in .380

That would be awesome. Let's set something up. I'll bring some of my bang bang toys too if you're interested in doing something non-metal detecting related. Just picked up my APX today...hopefully shooting it this weekend up in Michigan, but I could bring some fun toys :)

Just pm me and ill give you the weekends i have free. Next weekend is a good posability. Idk if we would have time to detect and shoot, but im open to trying. I cant shoot on my property(in the middle of rockford), so it would have to be at a local range. I ussually wait until my buddy has time to go out to his parents/grandparents who own a limestone quarry in roscoe to shoot, but that only happens about once a year if im lucky. We can shoot anything out there :).

I just picked up a 600. A very nice detector in my opinion. I only beach hunt so the 600 suited my needs. If I dirt hunted I would have went with the 800. The tone adjustments on it are a great feature and the price of the wireless headphones helps offset the difference. The gold frequencies have their special group of users, but I am not one.

I just went from the AT pro to a NOX 600. I'm glad I did , the NOX is a definite improvement. But there was a learning curve , the language and characteristics of the two detectors are pretty different. Its not difficult to learn but it wasn't necessarily a seamless transition. But the equinox is like many detectors in one , so that should be expected. Its well worth the money if you can get one.

I would have liked to get the 800 , some of its features would be nice , but all in all the 600 does everything I need it to and its a huge improvement over the pro. Get the 800 if you can , but you really wont miss much by getting the 600.

findin' your share of clads?..you can do that with just about any detector! i have tesoro mojave and i kill clads at every site and find old stuff too!..if you are NOT finding' silver,you could use a tesoro compadre and find clad! good grief!..$650.00 compared to $ 160.00..(w.t.f.)

good point! well taken! anybody listening?..it's a hobby people!..funny how some are using 5 tones when many detectors have 5 tones already!..they bought because of the "alleged"
advantage of simultaneous "multi-tones,so why buy it in the first place if you are gonna use 5 tones,and NOT multi?..christ,i use a tesoro mojave and find tons of good stuff.$251.00 as opposed to $899.00..tesoro's a killer in iron and trash been around forever and is analog design!..think people!.do your research!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

findin' your share of clads?..you can do that with just about any detector! i have tesoro mojave and i kill clads at every site and find old stuff too!..if you are NOT finding' silver,you could use a tesoro compadre and find clad! good grief!..$650.00 compared to $ 160.00..(w.t.f.)

You arent even gonna find the clad if its masked to the detector you are using. Thats the point. Sure ,...your compadre will find clad , but its unmasking ability really isnt that great , so you leave a lot of it behind. The quicker and better at separating targets your detector is , and the better it deals with ground conditions , the better your chances. The benefits of using NOX or other detectors with comparable abilities go far beyond just finding silver.

Back
Top Bottom