Does anyone know about the 1958 Silver penny?

AWU

Forum Supporter
I found a 1958 silver wheat penny this morning, and I've never seen one like it before. It is stamped from Delaware and the edges are raised up. They are also smooth. Has anyone found one of these before, or have any information about it?

Have any pics of it?

The Red Book has nothing on it, and searching online has showed more than your unique interest in the coin, so there are a few out there. But apparently the US Mint has NEVER struck a 1958 Silver Penny.

A few explanations have been offered. Everything from a blatant counterfeit, to maybe someone buffing the bejesus out of it to make it appear silver.

Thank you

I dont have any pictures right now. I have a new computer on the way, but for now I am posting from a cell phone. Cant quite upload the pics. Ill get a pic up next week.

I have collected coins for years and have never heard of a 1958D silver or steel penny. All wheat backs (1909-1958) are bronze (95% Cu with the remaining 5% being made up of Zn and Sn). The only exception to this rule was during WWII the 1943 cent was Zn plated steel. It is probably the result of someone's lab experiment (e.g. Ni plating). Also, a company may have bought some pennies that year and plated them to sell to the public. They do this today. Have you seen the commercials for the Au plated State Quarter Set. IMHO the penny did not come from the Denver mint like that. When you get your computer up and going, I would love to see a pic though.
Todd

slightly bigger than other pennys

The coin is in good condition. All the details are clear. The heads side is deeper than normal tails side is about the same as a regular one other than theres excess outer edge outside the raised ring like its bigger than the stamp. Its so cool I cant wait to find a good explanation. I found several other wheaties in the same location. Im going to take it to the coin dealer down the street and see if they ever seen anything like it or what it's made of. I want to cut it in half to see if its that color all the way through but I wouldnt do that. I cant wait till Monday Ill be able to post pictures with my new computer.

I believe there was also a 1973 steel or zinc cent that was also made, several million, government canceled the release but a few copies had gotten out.

In early to mid 70's, I can't recall exactly and am to lazy to look up, but the mint conducted a trial and struck a bunch of aluminum cents. They were trying to find a cheaper alternative to copper. Almost all were destroyed. I can't remember why. I think it had to do something with toxicity (kids swallowing them). Anyway, if you find one of these and can find a buyer without the Feds finding out, you would be super rich!!:lol:

I believe there was also a 1973 steel or zinc cent that was also made, several million, government canceled the release but a few copies had gotten out.
Now if I remember correctly on this one I mentioned, the government made millions of these coins and some were handed out to high ranking government officials as that is normal custom. The decision was then made not to release the coins and melt them down, the officials who recieved the complimentary ones were asked to return them. The officials knew they had a rare coin and claimed they misplaced them or actually spent the coin.
History has shown that in the past coins that were never to be released have gotten out.
Two were:
The $20 gold piece (1933 i believe)
and the 1913 V-nickel (s mint I believe)
I am sure there were others

My friend found one of those the other day! I've been looking for evidence of more online, and so far, this is all I found. It's coated with something silver-colored, and it's definitely copper underneath (the coating is wearing thin). I dropped it, and a regular penny, on a table to see if there was a difference in the noise they make. The normal penny "ding"s, though not like a silver coin does, and the odd-colored one sounded like plastic, almost. The edge looks odd--bloated, almost--but otherwise it looks normal.

In the back of the red book it lists wrong planchet errors (pg. 403). The Lincoln cent has been struck with silver by mistake according to the author, but no notes as to how many exist. I would suggest you to weigh it if it weighs 2.5 grams it may be silver, and if it weighs more than 3.11 it has been plated copper.

So if this is an error and IS a SILVER and RARE I wonder whats its worth/

The book lists it as $1,500

wow. thats a good find then, and he stated it was in really good condition. That's one hell of a find. I wish he would have updated up with the picture of it.

Most likely plated by someone at a metal-plating company just fooling around. Also could be mercury coating. Liquid mercury will bond to some metals. A small chance it's a wrong planchet error.

I have one too.....my dad gave it to me........They're not silver all the way through....Just silver coated.....i'm sure if you look really closely you can see the copper in some spots where the silver has rubbed off.....not worth more than face value....but keep it and one day we may have some of the few that are worth thousands:D

1958 D Silver Wheat Cent

I have one of these and it is lighter in weight to copper coinage. This isn't the first time the US Mint has refused to declare its coins. I found this in a collection from 40 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom