THE Definitive "How To Post Pictures" Thread

sectshun8

Forum Supporter
Every time I see A post here about people not knowing how to post pictures I cringe :roll:

But then I just remind myself that not everyone grew up with computers as being an extension of their hand, so it is not second nature to them.

That being said, I plan on instructing all of you on the art of posting an image here on the forum.

The first thing we all need to realize, is that when using your digital camera, odds are you take pictures on the best quality setting. Well when you do that, the file size of the picture you transfer to the PC will most likely be much larger than the allowable limit for both Attached Images and user Album images here on the forum.

There are two ways to combat this.

- First is to create a FREE account at any one of the multitude of image/video hosting websites out there. (i.e. PhotoBucket or ImageShack). If you are a Gmail user, I would suggest using Google's Picasaweb feature, which you log into the same as your Gmail. Here you can upload images of ANY file size, and the website will give you a neat little URL link to the image so you can share it with the world. If the image is too big in dimension, most of those sites will resize them automatically.
Now, to get that image into your post, you need to copy the URL your image host gives you for the specific image. Then, in your FMDF post, click the little
insertimage.gif
button, and paste the URL and click OK. You'll now see some UBB code in your post with a bracket, the image tag, and then your image URL.
YAY, you will now have an image there when you post.

- The second way is to actually ATTACH an image to your post.
With this you have limitations. The first being file size. Your image CANNOT be larger than 195.3kb. The second being that you can only attach 5 images in any one post. If you go the other route noted above, there is no limit. Anyhow, if you're file sizes are within the limit, scroll down past your text window in your post. Under "Additional Options" you will see a button that says, "Manage Attachments," click it. A window will open up, click "Browse." Search for your image, select it, click OK. Then hit the "Upload" button, when the image is uploaded, add another if you have one. Otherwise, just click the "Close This Window" link. You will now see your filename and size listed in the "Attach Files" area under "Additional Options." When you submit your thread/post the images will show up at the bottom of the thread. TA-DA!

In order to obtain low file sizes you may have to do one of a few things. One, is actually reduce the physical image size. For posting here on the forum, you don't need a crazy image that is 2352 x 1648 pixels large. Something like 640 x 480 is plenty. In order to do this, do yourself a favor and download the free application called IfranView. It's a simple, free image editor, widely popular. Just do a Google search on it and it'll come right up. If you are one step better, and have a program like Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, you can easily change the physical size AND save the image at whatever percentage quality you prefer. Each of these has a profound effect on the image file size.

I hope that helped clear up some things... any more questions please ask and they'll be addressed.

Excellent post, Sectshun - The only thing I would add is that my Dell Computer came with photo editing software already installed . There's a function there called "save as web-ready photo" which reduces the file size to less than 200Kb. The program is Microsoft "Picture It". I would think most computers have some sort of photo software preinstalled. Mine is from 2002.

Hi Sectshun, I am one of those that didn't grow up with a computer so I appreciate all the help I can get. I grew up with a soldering iron, a voltohm meter and vacuum tubes and a 1969 Dodge SuperBee W/440 and 4 on the floor!

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Hi Sectshun, I am one of those that didn't grow up with a computer so I appreciate all the help I can get. I grew up with a soldering iron, a voltohm meter and vacuum tubes and a 1969 Dodge SuperBee W/440 and 4 on the floor!

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

:yes:
1970-Dodge-Super-Bee-red-2.jpg

And a 6J6 to you John. :D

Whooooaaaa!!! is that yours Rudy? I love the old Mopars. Thanks for the beautiful pic Rudy!!! Ok Rudy much appreciated.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Whooooaaaa!!! is that yours Rudy? I love the old Mopars. Thanks for the beautiful pic Rudy!!! Ok Rudy much appreciated.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Wish it was John. No, it was to show the youngsters here what you were talking about. ;)

Us youngsters are well informed :yes: Especially ones like me who worked for Chrysler and have been to their HQ and Museum.

ok learn me this ...

how do you put by-lines or descriptions along with each picture???

how do you put by-lines or descriptions along with each picture???

That's all in the way you format your post. It cannot be done with attached images, but can be done with images posted using the first method.

I'll do one as an example.

The image below is hosted at PhotoBucket. I used the "Insert Image" button and pasted the URL.

On the next line after the image, I wrote my byline... and then using the tools provided in the post area, to make the font size small and bold. That help?

phelps5.jpg

Michael Phelps edges out the Croatian for the gold

It works perfect for me, I hope it works for you as well :yes:

Resolution limits......

Answered ! Sweet. I have recently been fiddling with my Canon A550 and now know how to select different resolutions or sizes ? Anyway I can do it. Sure is handy.
Thanks for the tips.
Marty

For Mark

This should help.

Attachments

• imagebutton.JPG
    imagebutton.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 3,687
Last edited:
For some reason i can,t upload pictures on this forum.It keeps saying upload failed.How frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom