Cheapie MD at Aldi - $49

I'll bet that detector is a doozey..........but not in a good way of course. It's probably not any better than a pinpointer. By the way.......Aldi's has the best ice cream.......Yummy!!!

I'll bet that detector is a doozey..........but not in a good way of course. It's probably not any better than a pinpointer. By the way.......Aldi's has the best ice cream.......Yummy!!!
Sounds like Don has never tried Ben & Jerry's ice cream, expensive but very good.

Personally, I was never all that crazy about Ben & Jerry's ice cream. It's good, but I never thought as good as everyone made it out to be..........I like the older custard taste myself, and the Aldi's ice cream does come fairly close to that. And as you know, it's one heck of a lot cheaper. Unfortunately I haven't had any Aldi's ice cream since I left Kansas City.

I don't think anyone that was sane would buy one of those things.. :D

Really? I was actually thinking about trying it.

I have never owned a metal detector before. (I have been thinking about trying metal detecting as a good way to get out of the house and get some exercise.)

As I'm not sure how in to detecting I will get. (Although I have a feeling it will be addicting ;) ) I can't really afford to spend to much on a first detector. But then I don't want to waste my money on something that won't work and get discouraged form a potential fun hobby.

Not to mention that the Aldis detector is the only one I've seen in 2 months of looking. Except for an old beat up one that the pawn shop wants $200 for. I have searched every store in my area and no one caries metal detectors. :?:

you could buy an ace 150 for 150.00. i know it works. if you decide to sell it you can expect at least 100.00. or you can spend 50.00 for something that has no resell or guarantee that it works. either way, you will be only 50.00 dollars in the hole. i think i would go with the ace.

I have never owned a metal detector before. (I have been thinking about trying metal detecting as a good way to get out of the house and get some exercise.)

As I'm not sure how in to detecting I will get. (Although I have a feeling it will be addicting ;) ) I can't really afford to spend to much on a first detector. But then I don't want to waste my money on something that won't work and get discouraged form a potential fun hobby.
:?:

I was in pretty much the same boat. My budget was pretty limited, so I opted for the BH Tracker IV for $100, is spite of the overwhelming recommendations for the Ace 250 for $200. I am very happy with my choice. I found enough clad to pay for the Tracker IV in a few months, and I think its a great machine. It may be worth looking into.

For that matter, the Aldi's one may work too. Like I said, you'll certainly find more items with the Aldi's detector than with no detector at all!

Not to mention that the Aldis detector is the only one I've seen in 2 months of looking. Except for an old beat up one that the pawn shop wants $200 for. I have searched every store in my area and no one caries metal detectors. :?:

Sure you can try it but its my opinion you would be better off buying an Ace 250 or similar detector and if you didn't like the hobby you could sell it for about what you paid for it unless you purchased that no name detector then again its my opinion you might as well throw it in a closet because you won't be able to sell it to anyone who knows about metal detecting.

I would love to get a more expensive Metal detector, unfortunately $50 would be about the most I could squeeze out of my currant budget. :(

A couple of people mentioned the resale value, is that the main argument agents getting the no name Aldis detector? If I don't like metal detecting, I have a lot of young nieces and nephews that I could give it to. So I'm more concerned with how well it will work then with its re-sale value.

I think that what this boils down to is that most of the people on this site are professionals with well established jobs/careers (or retired) and a fair amount of "fun" money. And that's great, but don't loose sight of the fact that for some people, $250 (or $500 or $1000) is a lot of money! I probably would have gotten the Ace 250 when I started if there had been any way I could have responsibly afforded it. But I couldn't! So I settled for the Tracker IV. And I love it. It has been a great detector and has gotten me completely hooked on the hobby. With the clad I've found, I will no doubt buy a better detector at some point. But for me, it was still worth it to get a "low brow" detector to start.

Just my thoughts...

I think that what this boils down to is that most of the people on this site are professionals with well established jobs/careers (or retired) and a fair amount of "fun" money. And that's great, but don't loose sight of the fact that for some people, $250 (or $500 or $1000) is a lot of money! I probably would have gotten the Ace 250 when I started if there had been any way I could have responsibly afforded it. But I couldn't! So I settled for the Tracker IV. And I love it. It has been a great detector and has gotten me completely hooked on the hobby. With the clad I've found, I will no doubt buy a better detector at some point. But for me, it was still worth it to get a "low brow" detector to start.

Just my thoughts...

Oh, thanks for the explanation! I am starting to get a bit discouraged about trying metal detecting. But I guess I can understand someone who can afford a $250+ detector thinking a $50 one is junk. I have a minimum wage job and very little extra money, I just wanted a hobby that would get me out of the house. I just can't justify paying more for a hobby than I pay for rent. :no:

I don't know anything about this $50 detector, but if you want one and that's all your budget allows, I say get it. It probably wont find any deep coins, and may go off on every piece of scrap metal, but it could be fun to play around with, especially if you use it for hunting parks after there has been some kind of event, with change lying on the ground. I took my Bounty Hunter to a family event, and all the kids loved digging for "treasure." If it doesn't work, take it back and trade it for a couple gallons of ice cream. :yes:

Oh, thanks for the explanation! I am starting to get a bid discouraged about trying metal detecting. But I guess I can understand someone who can afford a $250+ detector thinking a $50 one is junk. I have a minimum wage job and very little extra money, I just wanted a hobby that would get me out of the house. I just can't justify paying more for a hobby than I pay for rent. :no:

Well, I was in something of the same spot. As I said, I went with the BH Tracker IV which was $100. Most people strongly recommend the Ace 250 as the "starter" detector, but I just couldn't comfortably afford the $200. I've been very happy with the Tracker IV. There is no doubt that a more expensive detector will do much more, but I've found stuff almost as fast as I can dig it, so for now I'm happy. In 8 months I've found about $325 in change as well as some nice old coins, some jewelry, and a bunch of other neat items.

People on this forum are right to recommend the best detector you can afford. That being said, I wouldn't let an inability to afford an expensive detector keep you out of the hobby. The thing with the Aldi's detector is that no one has seen it or used it, so who knows how well it really works. maybe see if Aldi's has a return policy if it turns out to be a complete bust. You can also check out: http://metaldetectorreviews.net/ for other options.

Good luck, and let us know what you get!

The key is to purchase what you can afford, I think it is safe to say that few here do this to make a profit. As long as you take the time to learn what and what not the detector can reasonably be expected to do I think you will have fun with it. I would try the wood chips under playground equipment and the DRY sand at your local beach. Just throw the clad you find into a jar and I think you will surprised how fast you will save enough to upgrade.

Good Luck!! Just get out and have a good time, it doesn't matter which machine you use to enjoy the outdoors!!

Back
Top Bottom