I want a hobo nickel, so I tried to make one, lol

lyness_m

the images speak for themselves. I am no hobo nickel maker. It was only my first try and I am using an inferior dremel style tool, so maybe I will try again and it will come out a little better.

Attachments

• DSCN9638.JPG
    DSCN9638.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,314
Actually looks pretty good! Some of them guys been doing it a long time.I know some of them are insane looking.

I really like it.. Nice job. I want one :)

It is incredibly hard to make a hobo nickel that didnt start out as a buffalo nickel. The reason there are so many buffalo nickels, is one the time period, and two they are really easy to scratch away.

It is incredibly hard to make a hobo nickel that didnt start out as a buffalo nickel. The reason there are so many buffalo nickels, is one the time period, and two they are really easy to scratch away.

yeah this one took me about 2 1/2 hours to do, real tough, even with the dremeltool

Not bad at all. I've actually found a real hobo nickel has an extra hook on it to wear on jewelry I'm guessing. its getting late tonight but ill post up the picture of it tomorrow.

Heres my hobo coin. anyone know what something like this is even worth. I cant find any info on it.

20130310_153342.jpg

20130310_153403.jpg

Anyone know what the tool of choice is for doing this?

There are two ways to go about it.

The best method is a "graver" tool. Hobos would just use pocket knives, and that works just fine too.

Another way to go, and you have to be much more precise with is an engraving tool, automatic ones.

Pretty much just carve it just like you do if you are carving wood. Thats what I have used before, wood carving tools, but the angle of the blade was too extreme to do it right. Modern nickels are too tough. Best ones are buffalo nickels, and war nickels.

Looks very good for your first attempt. I want one but I am no artist by no means. Lol. I hope to dig one one day.

Back
Top Bottom